• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Good i7 Combo?

at least wait till sandy bridge comes out in a little over a month.
 
That setup will work but for the price it's a horrible horrible setup.

I concur with lockheed2266: I highly recommend waiting until Intel's Sandy Bridge CPUs are available on January 5th. It's only a few weeks away. Those Sandy Bridge CPUs will be faster clock for clock than Intel's current Core i7 lineup while being able to OC very high. In fact, it's been shown that a Sandy Bridge CPU can hit 5Ghz on AIR. If the price leak is true, you can get the i5 2500K for around $253. That's cheaper than the i7 950 and you can get a significantly higher OC on top of the faster clock for clock speed.

So all in all, you're better off waiting until then for an expensive PC build.
 
I'd have to disagree slightly with that quote: There are certain times to purchase certain parts. It just takes a lot of research.
 
Wait... ok then wait forever because after that CPU comes out there will be another wait for the next CPU to come out that will be even more amazing.. I don't think it will be that amazing.

I think if you really want to wait, then still buy that combo and it will just be cheaper.

If you don't want to wait, buy that combo and end of story... no more endless waiting game

A whole lot of people around here like to tell people to wait... I got told this when I bought my 5850s

Everyone said " oh just wait the 6850s will be out soon and will smoke the 5850s"

Ya they don't "smoke" anything and if I would have waited I would have waited for 8+ months or about that time.

Computers are always upgrading and can either upgrade every other month with them or you can just buy now and have a fast system.

Are you going to be doing something that will even push that 950 to its limits? that should be a 1st question any one asked.

I have the 920 @ 4.2.... runs the same in everything I do when it is @ 2.66, sure I get a few more FPS in benchmarks and a few more points in futuremarks... but in games or anything else, can notice it at all.
 
Crysis, I guess. And Metro 2033. Will those stretch the i7 950?

How will either of those game stress out a 950?

I see no difference from stock to when I OC my 920 to 4.2Ghz and play Crysis.

nor is it ever close to maxing out the CPU usage.
 
I agree with Nick, don't wait or you will wait and never have anything. "Buy this because it's going to change the world" crap is not the way to go. Everything changes after something new comes out. What you buy today in the computer world is outdated tomorrow, no one can stop that
 
the only decent reason for waiting for TeH LaTeSt ShIz OmG! to come out is for price drops on the old stuff.

well established technology + price drops from the bleeding-edge new stuff = purchasing sweet spot.
 
I run an I7-950 @ 4.1 with HT on and play Metro on it. Usually my 2 480 that lack behind my CPu and I play @ 3240 x 1920 surround mode. Just finish building her a month ago. If I kept waiting I will still be without enjoying all these games.

I would change the board to the Asus Rampage III formula from the EVGA. Thats my preference.
 
Back
Top