Good headphones for under $250 for computer, ipod, airplane, etc

SocceRich20

2[H]4U
I'm looking for a good set of headphones to use on my computer (Auzentech X-Fi), my iPod, and on airplanes (I fly a lot). I'm looking to spend under $250, and am definitely willing to buy used, so headphones in the $400 range that go for under $250 used on eBay, craigslist, etc are all something I'd consider. The only requirements for the headphone be that they don't bleed noise (ie the person sitting next to me on the plane can't hear my music), that they be comfortable (my current headphones, Sony MDR-V6's are not very comfortable), and that they have superb sound quality. I've looked at some options, but I'm a little lost between mixed reviews and the seemingly endless list of high quality manufacturers (Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Sony, Bose, etc). I'd prefer not to have to run an amp to use it on my Ipod and such.

Do you have the velour pads for the V6s or the pleather ones? IMO the stock pleather pads are moderately uncomfortable but the velour pads are great.

Do they need to be more portable than your current V6s?

The V6's I have came with that fake leather padding. After about an hour of listening, my ears feel crushed and I have to take them off. The portability of them is fine, I don't need my headphones to be any more portable, otherwise I'd get earbuds.

Velour pads are about $20 and should fix your problem completely. I would normally get them at B&H, but they seem to be out of stock currently...

Audio Technica ES7 might be worth looking at if you want something new - but I seriously recommend doing the velour mod on the V6s first.

I would definitely recommend IEMs. They're great for blocking noise on airplanes. You can get near top of the line stuff like Westone UM2/UM3s, Shure SE530s, Sennheiser IE8s.

That'd be the best option for traveling but not necessarily for using at the computer on a daily basis... I dunno, I'd get separate headphones for each use, but that's just me.

Yeah, if it were me I'd probably split the budget and get a solid pair of IEMs + good comfy full-size headphones for home... You can still do pretty well for $125 a piece (+/- in either direction depending on value/priorities), but maybe the OP doesn't like IEMs and/or you doesn't mind traveling w/bulkier headphones at all.

these are very good suggestions. I went the route of full size at home and am looking for a good pair of IEMs for travel.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Good IEMs for around ~$100: Westone UM1s, Apple Dual Driver IEMs, Etymotic HF5, Futuresonics Atrio.

Beyerdynamic 770. Comfortable, great audio quality. 990 are even better but as an open design they bleed outside.

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, so I'll just bump it and tag my question here since it is slightly related.

I am about to purchase some Grado SR 325is headphones which I will use mostly for music (will be external amp/dac driven). I might use it for gaming occasionally, anyone with these headphones know how they handle gaming? I'm curious about their directional soundstage capabilities.

If they sound absolutely horrible, I'll probably need to pick up some Audiotechnicas for gaming.

Back