Good HD tv around $1000?

CDdude55

Gawd
Does anyone know a good HD TV around $1000 that has at least 1 HDMI port and can support Component cables.

What size are you looking for?

I'm really liking my Panasonic 32LX700 that came to $991 with a 3-year warranty from beachcamera.com. Perfect for smaller rooms and the sound is good enough that you don't need to have it hooked up to a home theater system for regular viewing. Most of the time I don't turn my receiver on unless I'm watching a DVD.

I also have yet to find an HDTV that scales SDTV signals anywhere near as well as this one does.

Toshiba 37" model 37HL67.... awesome LCD, at just about $1,000 street price (you have to shop around, we bought it at a local store for $1,010.). Has both HDMI and Component ports.

I would highly recommend the Westy 37" LVM-37w3. Unlike the 2 other suggestions (both are only 720p) it does 1080p and will display the full 1080p over component. If you can wait a little while it goes on sale for $799 periodically. However it doesn't have a built in Tuner if that matters to you.

What about that Sceptre 37"? That can also be found for 799 sometimes with 1080p.

The Toshiba I mentioned above DOES have 1080p both with Componenet or HDMI.

toshiba's website said:
Panel Resolution: 1366 x 768

Yes it accepts 1080p but downsamples it to 720p. That does not equal true 1080p. It also only takes 1080i over component according to the websites that are selling the TV. The Westinghouse has a native resolution of 1920 x 1080 so it displays true 1080p.

Keep in mind that with smaller TV displays 1080p is pointless. If you're going to use it as a monitor then you'd want 1080p for sure. In your price range you'll get more screen size with a 720p TV and you probably won't even notice a difference in image quality.

What about that Sceptre 37"? That can also be found for 799 sometimes with 1080p.

i found the earlier Sceptres to be lacking in quality when compared to the monitors of the same price in time. they may have improved, but I never bothered to look at their offerings again.

Yes it accepts 1080p but downsamples it to 720p. That does not equal true 1080p. It also only takes 1080i over component according to the websites that are selling the TV. The Westinghouse has a native resolution of 1920 x 1080 so it displays true 1080p.

I am not sure what's the difference between 1080p and 1080i... You understand that I'm not an expert in this field...

...But I can assure you, the picture quality and sharpness on this Toshiba 37" I mentioned is just awesome... It was also very highly rated by Consumer Report, which was the main reason we bought it (but not before first comparing its picture quality to others at the store)...

Westinghouse TX-42F430S
42" 1080p, with 2 component and 4 hdmi inputs
got it for just over 1000 this past weekend at best buy

if you live near a Costco and either have or no someone who has a membership they have the 42" Vizio for $1199 that is 1080p. Head over AVSforum and see the 42 page thread on it. It was on sale at the end of last month for $999 and may do so again. As others have mentioned the 37' Westy or the new 42" TX Westy can been had for a good price also.

Im a complete newb on this.... so sorry for the questions, but, is there a noticeable difference on a 37" or 42" TV between 720i and 1080p?

Also, is it better to buy a TV with the HD tuner built in or go with the westinghouses that dont have them and buy the tuner separate?

720p and 1080p at that size the difference isn't that noticeable probably but as always you should look yourself to see if its okay for you

the newer westinghouse's have tuners, and now that I've bought one with it, it's an appreciated convenience, since I have limited space on my desk as it is, with antenna, notebook, and other things

that and I didn't feel like running HDhomerun over the network and having to set that up..though if you have a cable box for comcast/direct tv it won't matter

the w3 has a tuner? I havent found one that does yet, although I will admit I havent looked terribly hard.

OK, thanks.

Now, is an HDMI cable better than Component, because the HDMI can transfer "p" signal, which the Component cable can't, or is it just up to what the station is sending?

From what I have read it seems that it is more reliant on what the station is transmitting (normally 720p or 1080i). In the case of HDMI vs. Component I could not tell you as I have not seen any of them, the only thing that I know is that you need to make sure that your monitor can support 1080p over component otherwise is a moot point. Also, HDMI transmits sound as well in the one cable where Component needs a seperate composite audio connection.

We got the Toshiba 37" LCD which I mentioned above. I was told to get the $50 HDMI cable. The technician attached both the HDMI and Component to a Comcast DVR cable box he broght with him.

After a month we concluded that it's a waste of money and energy, since we don't use the DVR, but a regular VCR-DVD recorder, the DVR box is emitting a LOT of heat day and night, and as far as picture quality between the HDMI and Component -- they were the SAME, except the HDMI had a higher sound volume.

I returned the DVR cable box to Comcast (saving me about $6 a month), got a regular HD Digital box, which has no HDMI connection, only Component -- and we enjoy the same superb quality from my 37" LCD.

For tv purposes, the difference between 1080i and 1080p is minmal; only if you are watching something with alot of movement on screen will you notice. Sports in particular is bad about that. THe short version is that Interlaced (the "i") is only displaying half the images that Progressive is"p"; like conventional TVs, Interlaced cuts your image in half, showing the top half then th bottom half of the screen rapidly. This is why TV is only 30 fps but seems more fluid than a comptuer game at 30 fps (its really 60 fps of half images). This saves bandwidth and is good enough to trick the human eye unless it has perspective to compare to (hence the moving image problem). Progressive doesnt do that; its 60 frames per second full image.

Now for computer gaming, you do NOT want to be running neither 720p nor 1080i. If youa re using it for computer display, you want a 1080p display.

720p = 1366 x 768 on a rather large monitor....
1080p = 1920 x 1080

Not quite as high end a res as the Dell 3007 then again I think the resolutions are too small on most larger LCDs (I have a hard time reading/viewing it - Im old :( )

PS: If you are using for monitor make sure you get an LCD and not a plasma.

Back