Good FTP program?

Tengis

Supreme [H]ardness
Ive been using CuteFTP for a while and it is decent but I figure there may be something better out there.

I use my web hosting to back up various large files on my computer so having something that can "resume" a failed upload would be ideal - CuteFTP is not able to do this.

Any recommendations for either a free or paid app?

Filezilla. Very solid and FREE!

How much better can it get?

FlashFXP -- best investment ever and not expensive (yeah not free).

I like it much better than Filezilla FTP Client. Filezilla FTP Server is very good though, I prefer it over WS_FTP Server and very much especially over Windows IIS FTP

FlashFXP -- best investment ever and not expensive (yeah not free).
That product looks interesting. Would you mind sharing details about how you use this, and the features and capabilities that made you switch from other FTP clients?

That product looks interesting. Would you mind sharing details about how you use this, and the features and capabilities that made you switch from other FTP clients?

FlashFXP lets you do scheduled transfers. That's the main reason I use it.

I don't think there are any free clients that do that, but I could be wrong.

Filezilla FTP and WinSCP are as raw as it gets. They pretty much support the bulk or virtually all the same features any paid solution offers. You can do the same thing with those free programs that you can do with a paid program.

For me, I love FlashFXP because of its polished interface and reliability. Things have changed since the early and mid 00s when it was difficult to find a stable FTP client didn't have its own issues making the usage of the program annoying (such as connectivity & authentication bugs, corrupt uploads and downloads, etc), and it probably really doesn't matter these days unless you're looking for something that is polished and developed by people who get paid for making this program. I used to run a webhosting company for almost 10 years, and this program came in handy a lot when using a manually specified proxy in FlashFXP's settings, server-to-server transfers, filtering and rules.

This is the main interface when you first open it up
main_interface.png

Quick Connect shortcut
quick_connect_shortcut.png

Quick Connect window
quick_connect.png

Connected to a Site through SSH
connected_to_site.png

Right-click context menu on the FTP-side
ftp_context_menu.png

Session menu
menu_session.png

Sites menu
menu_sites.png

Site Manager from the Sites menu -- it is also very easy to move the sites from one installation of FlashFXP to the next from computer to computer
site_manager.png

Options menu
menu_options.png

Preferences from the Options menu
preferences.png

File Transfer Rules from the Options Options menu
file_transfer_rules.png

Creating a File Transfer Rule
file_transfer_rule.png

Filters from the Options menu
filters.png

Queue menu
menu_queue.png

Commands menu
menu_commands.png

Tools menu
menu_tools_compareFolderContents.png

Directory menu
menu_directory.png

View menu
menu_view.png

Help menu
menu_help.png

Take a look at http://www.flashfxp.com/download and notice the Standard, USB Portable, and U3 Portable versions -- you get all of these with one license. They're not different editions with more or less features than the other. I know that there is a portable version of Filezilla FTP Client from PortableApps.com as well.

Cliffs:
  • I like the simplicity of the clean and polished user-interface
  • Stability and reliability, I know I can rely on FlashFXP (even often with automatic settings) where with Filezilla FTP Client I have encountered some usability problems in the past month on 2-3 incidents (one of which involved one of our users) of not being able to connect without altering part of the core settings
  • Besides lack of SCP protocol support, there hasn't been anything this couldn't do for me in the past 10 years
  • I haven't actually encountered any bugs during use, even though the occasional patch release identifies each bug that was fixed
  • Licensing isn't strict -- it isn't like you install it --> activate it --> you must deactivate license before you reinstall program or else you have to phone call support to get a new license key / have to buy a new license; definitely not like the DRM they put in games and movies

IMO FlashFXP > CoreFTP > Filezilla. But I use CoreFTP because I rarely buy software when I have free alternatives.

FlashFXP i love and have been using it for a good 10 years back when i had to do FXP transfers.

WinSCP is nice, but i find it very very slow sometimes on large directory listings

FlashFXP is fantastic. Been using it for 10+years as well.

I like how it is polished and the interfaces are very straight forward.

Are you sure you can't resume in CuteFTP, I know you can for downloads, but it is not the default setting.

Are you sure you can't resume in CuteFTP, I know you can for downloads, but it is not the default setting.
I looked for a while. I was uploading a .rar that was about 2 gigs. It failed at like 1.9 which kind of pissed me off... lol.

Im going to try some of these out. Thanks guys! Ill report back.

resuming only works if the FTP server supports it as well i believe, or at least 10+ years ago it was this way when using FXP.

Correct, and many do not.
I would go as far as saying that at this time of age it is an industry standard to support such a basic function. If someplace doesn't have this capability, it tells me that they're using technology of the past. Even worse when you're dealing with a company whose business is in technology.

Count me in as another long time user of FlashFXP. Well worth the cost of admission.

I use filezilla and have loved it for years. However, I have now been convinced to try FlashFXP as some of these features seem too awesome to not have.

CuteFTP is the fastest of all Windows FTP clients due to segmenting downloading. Would be especially useful for transferring large files overseas.

My favorite free FTP client is FTP Rush, it also supports FXP. I prefer it over FlashFXP.

CuteFTP is the fastest of all Windows FTP clients due to segmenting downloading. Would be especially useful for transferring large files overseas.

My favorite free FTP client is FTP Rush, it also supports FXP. I prefer it over FlashFXP.

CuteFTP works best for me too. Being able to split large files into 4 pieces is fantastic. I get exponentially faster speeds in comparison to Filezilla for my Seedbox.

Back