Good fans for a radiator?

I've read that they need to deliver lots of pressure, but I can't find any numbers on the fans that I've seen.

I need an open-corner design.

Thanks. :)

I've been happy with my high speed (103cfm @ 12v) 38mm panaflo fans. Although the motor noise is audible when undervolted.

I'm using yate loon low speeds now, although seriously considering moving to low or medium speed panaflos to increase the pressure.

The acutal manuf web site is where you will find the PQ (pressure vs flow) curves.

But it depends on your rad, the closer the fin spacing and the thickness determine the static pressure the fan must overcome to push/pull air through the rad. You cannot go wrong with 38mm thick fans as they typically are the most powerful you can get in the needed form factor. Also buying med or high speed fans and turning them down with a controller to balance noise vs cooling is a good idea. You can turn down a fast fan, you cannot turn up a low speed one.

Another thing to consider is reducing the pressure on the intake side. A lot of people now mount the rads in the front or top of the case and for the fans to work well the case must have the facility to either feed or exhaust the rad fans (depending on the setup) . For example a common setup is to pull air from the case through the rad with fans on top. Well the case needs plenty of vents and perhaps other fans to allow air into the case or else it is like sucking on a straw with your finger over the hole in the other end as far as the rad fans are concerned, its not the rad flow restriction, its the case lack of intake airflow that hampers fan performance. The same for a setup blowing into the case. There needs to be a way for that air to easily leave the case or else you slight pressurize it and the rad fans have to work against that.

Little tough to track down the info. Panaflows apparently are sold under the Rexus name on newegg and if you go to the Rexus site via the manuf link on the newegg page :

http://www.rexususa.com/fans/25125.html

then click on the part number you get sent to the panasonic/panaflow page where the engineering data is.

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/appliance/pdf/fans/i/fba12G.pdf

Looking at the note that says "closed corner models are avaialble" I would think the standard ones have open corners. I have not bought any since they became Rexus /shurg.

Cant tell from NMB site. Many times there is a "tube" that connects the two corner holes. Easily removed with a fine tooth hacksaw blade.
http://www.nmbtc.com/products/fans/dc4715kl.html

that should get you started.

I'm using stacked MCR320s. Don't really know what the ideal setup would be as far as fans and fan positioning.

generally, yes. i think they have some open ones but you have to search. you can also cut open the corners of normal yates pretty easily.

These fans are becoming more popular....

120mm Zalman ZM-F3

3568798628_d1a63965c5_o.jpg

I like the 5 dollar yates from petras. They dont make any noise undervolted and push a pretty decent amount of air at full 12v. I run the high speed fans on a controller on a swiftech 320.

Agreed, Yate loons from petras are all i use to water cool with. Try and get the flat blade ones if they have them, if not the concave blades work fine as well.

There are plenty of good fans if $$ isnt an issue. However if money is an issue its hard to beat the yate fans for cost/ performance wise. It important to know which rad you will be using becuase low density rad requires less pressure while densier rad with require higher pressue.

I'd use medium yates for the middle fans, and low for any outside fans.

I'm using low speed in the middle and outside. Temps are good, so I'm not too keen on tearing the sandwich apart to swap them, but the next time I drain the system, I'll give that a go.

Do the speeds not need to be the same to be more effective?

Back