good/cheap 500w psu?

henz0

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 14, 2009
Messages
68
my antec 430 is on it's last leg and i wanna replace it before it completely fails. it's been making weird noises lately and the pc shuts off randomly @ times.

pc specs are

brisbane 4000+
2 gig pc2 6400 ram
3 hardrives
evga 9600gt

tryin' to stay under 60 if possible..

thanks.
 
For that setup, the Corsair 400CX will be enough:
$50 - Corsair 400CX 400W PSU
 
I always liked Antec for the lower price points. You could get an ea500 for around $60 new, or around $40 used. I've actually got one of those sitting around here, great little drives. I got mine about a year ago when the prices were really low, it was $35 refurbished. Nothing wrong with it, in fact I used it to test out a gtx 480 when I was running down a problem, and an ea500 can power an AMD system and it.

I wish that deal was still going on with the TP-750. I got mine for $65 after MIR and Newegg promo code. The TP-750 is basically what they use all the way up to 1000 watts, just with a few different parts.
 
The Corsair 400CX often drops down to about $30, if you can find it at that price point, I would pick it up.

Otherwise, Antec is a good choice. I would also consider Seasonic and Silverstone power supplies, with Silverstone being the lowest quality out of all the brands I mentioned, but still better than average for the most part.
 
I just snagged the Antec Neo 620w from Newegg on sat for $55 shipped - $15 MIR = $40.
It will be sitting on my porch when I get home.

Awesome price. Forget the corsair 400cx at $30 when I can have the antec 620!
 
The Corsair 400CX often drops down to about $30, if you can find it at that price point, I would pick it up.

Otherwise, Antec is a good choice. I would also consider Seasonic and Silverstone power supplies, with Silverstone being the lowest quality out of all the brands I mentioned, but still better than average for the most part.

Seasonic actually designs most of Antec's line.

I agree, $30 for a 400CX would be nice, but you will be paying $50 for it now. Price for everything went up over the last year.
 
J Macker stole my thunder! The Antec Neo 620 is a great PSU for the coin. I agree...Pass on the Corsair CX400. The Corsair is a soild PSU, but for a few extra bucks that Seasonic-built Neo 620 is a wonderful deal.
 
Back
Top