Good card for $150

tpfaff

2[H]4U
Hey all, my 8800gts finally died on me tonight so I'm looking at picking up a new card soon. Looking to spend around $150 and I was wondering how much better performance can I expect from a modern budget card over my old bleeding edge card. Thanks!:)

Edit: Also, does Frys price-match videocards?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, XFX has that amazing warranty right?

Its a lifetime warranty (IF you register the card within 30 days of purchase). What makes it really nice is you can transfer the warranty if you sell it.

what resolution? with that cpu I might recommend something a little bit slower than 6850 level if the res is pretty low.

1680x1050 for now
I would probably get $100 gts450 or 5770 and just save the rest of your money. your cpu is about like me lowering mine to around 2.5 or 2.6 and at 1680 that will kill much of the performance advantage a 6850 has over cards like that. of course if you can get a really good deal on something like a gtx460 or 6850 then go for it. just don't expect the performance you see in reviews.

Went ahead and picked up a 5770 at frys for $100. The gtx460 b stock is OOS btw

Went ahead and picked up a 5770 at frys for $100. The gtx460 b stock is OOS btw
should give you at least a 30-35% increase while using less power. not a huge improvement but you had to get something since your other card died. maybe you can build an all new pc in about a year.

Yeah actually if it hadn't of have died I would be content using it still. It ran everything I threw at it (still!) which really just goes to show how slow games have been progressing graphically lately. Sometimes I'd have to settle for medium graphics but with a card that old I was happy with that.

Back