Good buy? 250GB Samsung SSD

That's a non-pro 840 and they've been going for about $180 on Amazon since launch. If it was a Pro series, then $240 would be reasonable as they've been $250-280 since launch.

$260 is a bit of a premium for the Pro but it's not too bad if you want AC3, fastest drive out there by far so it'll carry a premium for a while. $240's way too much for the TLC non-Pro, M4's go for $200 all the time, the 830 was getting cleared out at $150... The 840 vanilla will end up going for $200 thru most of next year IMO, it's cheaper for them to manufacture than the Pro/830, and it's already been cheaper elsewhere.

Sorry guys, guess I should have been more clear...with the promo code the Samsung 840 250GB was $158, and came with Farcry 3...it's over now, ended up just getting one of the Kingston's for $60 and saved the money to keep the wife happy lol...

This is ice cold... TLC nand.

That doesn't matter except for people who move huge volumes of data on a daily basis, and people with such requirements tend to be aware of their specific needs.

This is a (typical/average) consumer focused ssd, and in those parameters TLC/MLC/SLC are all essentially the same from a reliability and speed standpoint. This is as opposed to, say, a professional video editor who blasts through 100s of GB on a daily basis. By the time most people wear out the NAND on this drive, SATA 6GBs will be a legacy interface and newer ssd/storage tech will have left this drive in the dust..

Yeah, that's why I just use mine as discrete disks, second one's just for games anyway and the extra sequential speed isn't worth the hassle of breaking the array for maintenance IMO. It's probably not a big deal either way unless you're abusing the heck out of 'em for a while tho.

Back