Good B/W Laser Printer?

Like the title says, looking for a solid B/W laser printer that communicates properly with a Mac. I have no personal experience with any and am hoping for the positive experiences of others! Thanks.

I have a Brothers HL 2140 laser printer that has been working wonderfully for the past 4 years. Changed the toner once so far and its still holding up nice and strong. It's low profile, fits under my desk nicely, has OSX 10 drivers and I bought it on sale at Best Buy for $50. Best investment ever.

+1 For the cheap Brother Laser printers. I think in general the most common one is the HL-2270DW which is what I had. It worked amazingly, in fact I liked it so much, my next printer was/is a slightly better Brother, this one has a scanner and small screen (HL-2280DW).

Edit: here you go.http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...t=n&iht=y&usc=All Categories&ks=960&keys=keys

Looks like the HL-2270DW has been phased out. I found one for $150 on Amazon, which just isn't worth it when you can get a better one for that. That HL-L2360DW looks nice. Only $120 at Best Buy right now, plus a $20 gift card. Looks similar to the 2270DW, but faster. BTW, my current Brother works fine, wired and wirelessly, with my Mac. No reason the others wouldn't, when I belive they all work the exact same.

Last edited:
The Brother 2270DW is a great machine for any price. Especially the cheap price it is.

Sweet! Thanks guys. I guess it was many years ago that Brother was not mac-friendly. Looks like the 2340DW is the successor to the 2270, $137 with high yield toner on Amazon. Will jump on it.

I'm using a Konica Minolta Magicolor 1600w. It happens to do color, but I purchased it for the same purpose you probably are looking for. Fast B/W text. It does it well, but unfortunately doesn't directly have OSX drivers developed for it. Have to install the 1680MF drivers. Works perfectly otherwise though.

At the time, I did research and at the time it was the fastest clean and cheap b/w laser printer I could find. Only feature it doesn't have that I wish it did was duplexing. I guess having a Cat5 connection also is nice, but not something I care about as much as duplexing.

Another +1 for the cheap Brother. Friend of mine got one a few years back. I liked it enough that when it came time to replace our 10-year-old inkjet, I bought one myself. No regrets. Wireless, Mac friendly, good quality, quick printing. The starter toner pack should last us another decade with as little as we print.

Add me to the list of Brother printer supporters. My 2280-DW is the first printer purchase that I have not regretted.

Back