Goldman Deal 'Values Facebook at $50 Billion'

I keep seeing "massive amounts of spam/fake/not used/duplicate accounts" with 0 statistics and sources to back it up.

Jiminies....

Bingo.

I think the valuation is too high, which is typical or has been for these companies that aren't traditional businesses.

That being said, Facebook has quite a few advantages that other social networking organizations didn't. They are into everything, and continue to expand their reach.

I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon.

Yep. The haters seem to still believe FB is only about individuals who update their status with whatever they are doing. They dont understand how deeply engrained FB is into becoming THE source of news for the internet. From Businesses, to organizations, to local sports leagues, to Day Care, schools, and far far beyond that. It is becoming the root of communication, and the norm, for a majority of folks these days. Its not just another myspace, or twitter, to some extent, to follow what someone is doing. Its to make sure you get info the fastest.

FB isnt going anywhere, its still young imo. Zuckerberg obviously knows how to play the game, love him or hate him.

All quoted for truth and general non-ignorance. People pull numbers out of their asses for so long, they think that they are not doing anything wrong. Facebook is a private company so I dont believe anyone spitting any numbers specific to their business.

I believe that valuation was kinda high but I thought the same thing 3 years ago when MS bought in when it was valued at 14billion. I get more information from FB than I do anywhere else. But we should know by now, haters gonna hate.

What does Facebook offer that its competitors don't, aside from the number of users? It's a fad that will probably go the way of Myspace in a few years.
It's not the number of users, it's the quality of uniquely indentifiable information. No one has Facebook's data. What you get from Google are trends based on online activity and IP addresses. What you get on Facebook are birthdates, locations, status updates, friends, and family.

For partners, Facebook offers an application platform integrated with social networking. The closest Google got was... Wave?

Developers' site: http://developers.facebook.com/
Platform introduction: http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=2437282130

All quoted for truth and general non-ignorance. People pull numbers out of their asses for so long, they think that they are not doing anything wrong. Facebook is a private company so I dont believe anyone spitting any numbers specific to their business.

I believe that valuation was kinda high but I thought the same thing 3 years ago when MS bought in when it was valued at 14billion. I get more information from FB than I do anywhere else. But we should know by now, haters gonna hate.

To sum up the reactions : We be geeks and we not like Facebook.

I don't particularly care for it that much either, but they are definitely sitting on a treasure trove of information that is worth quite a bit of $$.

I am the most anti-Facebook of all! How dare they provide a free event-planning and picture-hosting service with some games that people ENJOY. I prefer old school e-mails with picture files, IRC and ICQ!

Realistically, they should sell. Ted Turner will attest to that, or anyone who got out of Enron in 2000 legally (since they knew).

I keep seeing "massive amounts of spam/fake/not used/duplicate accounts" with 0 statistics and sources to back it up.

Jiminies....

Why would facebook put out private user data, which would harm its own self? If they released the true data like that, they would obviously contradict their famous "500 million active [which means 30 days last logged on or less]" bull shit lie. That is how they get so many customers with that marketing bait.

Facebook is all started by hype, and Harvard investment. I love the way they took over and all, but I hate it because it honestly is counter-productive to society, over hyped double-fold, and is just a copy cat mostly of myspace which I have both used. I preferred myspace but now nobody seems to not log into it as much, obviously, but there was still most of my buddy list thing there loggong on every week or two. Pre-facebook it was like every day, or every other day with the same exact myspace status updates.

Until anyone buys them for their "valued" figure, they are not worth that much. Just because someone buys 1% at $1 does not make the company worth $100. This wallstreet math hardly makes sense.

Money is a fiction - a fiction that everyone happens to believe in.

How can the stock market lose 1 billion dollars? Did all this paper go up in smoke? Of course not.

here is a very fascinating story of what money actually is:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/423/the-invention-of-money

Did you know that the federal reserve bank (which is actually a PRIVATE bank and not related to the gov't at all) can AT ANY TIME give itself ONE TRILLION dollars? No shit. It did exactly that in 2007. It gives itself large sums of cash several times a year. How? It literally changes the number on the computer screen for its account.

The episode is one hour long. The second half is the most informative but the first part sets up the second part.

Listen to it. It is REALLY good.

It's not the number of users, it's the quality of uniquely indentifiable information. No one has Facebook's data. What you get from Google are trends based on online activity and IP addresses. What you get on Facebook are birthdates, locations, status updates, friends, and family.

For partners, Facebook offers an application platform integrated with social networking. The closest Google got was... Wave?

Developers' site: http://developers.facebook.com/
Platform introduction: http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=2437282130

Precisely. It's funny how some people, that try to minimize what Facebook built, don't understand the value of that sort of information. The $50 billion value may be too big, sure...but it's definitely worth a lot and no one else has what they do.

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with anyone of you but if people actually believe FB has a market value of 50B they are just a little too hopefull.

Not worth the price and risk. Facebook might last longer than previous social networking sites, but will ultimately face the same fate as them. Something new will come out, and it will replace Facebook.

Didn't people say the same thing when Google started?

Back