• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Going to Upgrade, Will Current PSU be Enough?

Preeat

n00b
Joined
Jun 2, 2009
Messages
7
Hi Guys and Gals,

Here are my current system specs.

AMD Athlon X2 4200+
ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
ASUS EN7900GT
Western Digital 250GB and 500GB HDDs
2.0GB of OCZ RAM
and finally, the PSU which is an OCZ GameXStream 600W.

I am thinking of upgrading my CPU, RAM and Video Card.

The CPU I have in mind is the AMD Athlon X2 7750.
The RAM I have in mind is the OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-800
And finally, I am thinking of either the XFX Geforce GTS 250 or the XFX Radeon 4770.

My question is, will my Power Supply be enough to handle the new upgraded rig, particularly the video cards that I am mulling over?

And kind of a side question, out of those two video cards, which one would you go with? The GTS 250 or the Radeon 4770? I've heard and read great things about both of em. I'm kinda leaning towards the GTS250 because my motherboard only supports SLI, so I can leave the option open of doing SLI in the future.
 
While that particular model is not one of the better PSUs, it will certainly be enough to handle the upgraded setup and the video cards you selected.
 
While that particular model is not one of the better PSUs, it will certainly be enough to handle the upgraded setup and the video cards you selected.
Agreed.
And on the graphics card question, [H] just did a review of the Radeon 4770. Lots of good info there. With the Radeon you have the advantage of a smaller die so it will use less power and create less heat. But, as you said, you have the advantage of a possible SLI later on with the nVidia.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTY0MywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA
 
Thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it. Now I just need to settle on which video card I want.
 
My question is, will my Power Supply be enough to handle the new upgraded rig, particularly the video cards that I am mulling over?

As long as you're below 500W or so, that PSU will be enough for either video card.
 
Back
Top