Going to do the unspeakable

Azphira

[H]ard|Gawd
Recommend me 2 enterprise class 4tb high performance drives and a controller for $600-700 total so I can raid 0 them.

The data going to them is religiously backed up, so no need to scream about the dangers of raid 0.

I am thinking something RE4 or Ultrastar.

Fractal Design Arc Mini R2
Corsair HX1050
Intel Core i7-5820K
Corsair H100
ASRock Fatal1ty X99M Killer
4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 DDR4 2666
1x Crucial M550 1024GB
1x Crucial M4 265GB
1x HGST Deskstar 4TB
1x Seagate Barricuda 3TB
Zotac 980ti AMP Extreme 6GB
Windows 8 Professional

Why not?.

While I understand that I might be wasting my time but I'm game anyway: Because I can't think of real beneifts that would justify such a cost?

For me, it would be more fun to just build a new server. In fact, I just dropped $1000 on my new server. :D

While I understand that I might be wasting my time but I'm game anyway: Because I can't think of real beneifts that would justify such a cost?

For me, it would be more fun to just build a new server. In fact, I just dropped $1000 on my new server. :D

Time (or money) enjoyed isn't wasted! :D

I recently put together my newest server for $89.98 :p

If you feel like doing it go for it, but you don't really need the controller for 2x raid 0 hdd with your mobo

I'm not sure on the reason for needing the controller card when your motherboard should be able to do RAID 0 and it should have enough extra SATA ports for it.

My question would be whether or not you need that entire 4TB at whatever speed RAID0 of a couple of hard drives will give you? Obviously, this would have to have been for some kind of working drive, maybe intended for editing video. For about $700 you can have 2TB worth of SSD storage that will be faster than the hard drives in RAID0.

He probably needs more than 2TB and isn't willing to spend thousands in SSDs when their prices are coming down very rapidly. There are many uses where one needs fast storage for large amounts of data. I can relate.

He probably needs more than 2TB and isn't willing to spend thousands in SSDs when their prices are coming down very rapidly. There are many uses where one needs fast storage for large amounts of data. I can relate.

Perfectly understandable _if_ indeed you need more than 2TB. Otherwise SSD would be a much better investment.

Well when the OP responded with "Why not?" when asked "Why?" I'd be inclined to think he doesn't have a need for either setup.

This is with the HE8 a little less than half full.

dWKJOgY.jpg

Back