Going to Console

bytes

Limp Gawd
Hi, im going to be buying a ps3 slim tomorrow as i find pc gaming and pc blu ray software to be a bit of a mess.

I want to hook up my pc and ps3 to the same monitor using hdmi for both. Does sony use a special hdmi cable or will any hdmi cable do ? My monitor has built in speakers that i don't use as i have a set of speakers that i prefer. They have 3.5mm jacks, 1 green, 1 grey and 1 orange is there a way to connect both the pc and ps3 to it ie: some sort of splitter cable ? Is there anything else i should be aware of that iv overlooked ? I haven't owned a console since the early 90's so im a bit out of touch on whats needed.

Thanks

Last edited:
yes any will work. i suggest buying from www.monoprice.com have personally benched against monster cables. these yield much better through put. oh yeah there 1/20th the price!!

Hi, im going to be buying a ps3 slim tomorrow as i find pc gaming and pc blu ray software to be a mess.

I want to hook up my pc and ps3 to the same monitor using hdmi for both. Does sony use a special hdmi cable or will any hdmi cable do ? My monitor has built in speakers that i don't use as i have a set of speakers that i prefer to use. They have 3.5mm jacks, 1 green, 1 grey and 1 orange is there a way to connect both the pc and ps3 to it ie: some sort of splitter cable ?

Thanks

digital out from ps3 -> pc -> speaker
would work too

that's how i have mine
ps3 digital out -> titanium hd on pc -> z-5500

If you are not going to use the built-in monitor speakers then you could probably use a DVI cable for the PC instead of a second HDMI (if you already do not have an additional one).

some things to consider

if you use HDMI for both you can then use your heaphone jack on your monitor to provide sound input to your speakers. (I am assuming that your monitor has a headphone jack)

To get audio from the PS3 to your speakers you will have to use AV cable with a RCA to 3.5mm stereo mini plug adapter or optical out from the PS3 or pass the audio from the monitor to your speakers as mentioned above. Do your speakers support optical in? a lot of them do.

to connect your PC to your speakers you can do it as you currently are or as mentioned above run cable from headphone jackl to speaker input, or use SPDIF

on a side note PS3 optical supports up to 5.1, anything higher and it will be down-mixed. PS3 also does not have a headpone jack nor does it have a coax SPDIF

Thanks for the suggestions on the audio, just a quick question about the audio if i did this "digital out from ps3 -> pc -> speaker" would i have to have the pc on to get sound from the ps3 ?

I was lazy and ordered my ps3 online so hopefully it will get here at the beginning of the week. I also bought a 128gb Crucial M4 and some acousti very soft feet for it :). Iv looked around for mods for the ps3 slim but all i can find are led mods to light it up, i really don't like that and was trying to find more practical mods/replacement parts like a more efficient fan, sound proofing, anti vibration etc does anybody know of a link to something like that or a good ps3 mod site.

You can always use a splitter box if nothing else works. PeeWee's solution should work though.

Thats excellent shantd. When i posted this thread i had in my mind a cable like this except for audio instead of fans.

A splitter box would be the next best thing, il definitely look into them. Thanks.

Back