Going to buy a PS3 could use some input.

Mac[X-D];1032286480 said:
who did it for you? or did you do yourself? is there a os of some kind to load?

there are directions on how to do this printed in the official owner's manual that comes with the PS3.

Mac[X-D];1032281505 said:
yea someone mentioned that at work today that reason there are no 80gb left is sony wants to stop ps2 games on the ps3 for whatever reason. so the new 80gb won't support ps2 games.

i think the 40gb is going to be more than enough for me.

Some games have install requirements. I think Assassin's Creed took up about 2GB. Unreal Tournament 3 has an install option that helps load times tremendously. As the console life progresses, I could see someone easily running out of space between install files, ripped files, and whatever they download off the PS store.

Yeah, you could theoretically run out of space if you keep everything you download/rip/install. It'll likely take a while, but in a few years it's feasible.
The cool thing about the file management system on the PS3 is that it creates a unique save item for all of the data you save. That means that the install data, custom controls, savegames, etc. are all unique save items. You could easily go in and delete the install data for your older games to save space quickly. Ditto for custom controls or things like that...but you'll still have your save data intact. The 360 doesn't always make that so easy! Often when you delete the data from a game, you delete ALL of it.
Also, the PS3 can copy to and from numerous other types of media. You could always copy your data to a flash drive, SD memory card, memory stick, external HD, or even a PSP, too.
Last but not least, you can replace the PS3's internal HD with any laptop HD, too. You could have a PS3 with a 500GB capacity in a matter of moments...and you'll even keep your warranty intact.

Back