Going to buy a PS3 could use some input.

Mac[X-D]

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok so i have been a PC gamer since the begining (iam 36) FPS and RTS mainly i did own a XBOX but never used it, but now i have decided that with the blue-ray factor i am going to finaly get myself a PS3, now this is what i have picked out for the intial plunge, and it will be hooked up to my 40" Sammy HDTV and HT Surround system. I will be completely truthfull i no shit when it comes to console gaming or games, so i need some input from the people who do, any advice, things to watch out for, great games i should buy would be greatly appreciated.

40GB PS3 - 399.00 (no one has any 80GB listed)
PS3 Controler - 60.00
7 in 1 PS3 starter kit - 80.00
Blue-Ray remote - 40.00
R6-Vegas 2 - 60.00
GTA-4 - 60.00

Total with tax is 733.95 CND

now is there anything else i should get or is this a good start.

Thnx

Might want to wait til April 15th for the Dualshock 3 controller... unless of course that is what you intended all along, and the new 80GB PS3 is supposed to be coming out this summer or so, but nothing is really definitive on that. The 40GB version right now has only two USB ports and no PS2/1 emulation.
From what friends have told me, Heavenly Sword is a fun game, although short.
Also Ninja gaiden Sigma, Devil May Cry 4, Army of Two, COD4, Orange Box, Ratchet & Clank... and you might want to even consider Rock Band or Guitar Hero.
And you probably want to rent the games first for a few bucks to try them out, that way you can try a few dozen games before you actually drop $60 on one that you might not like.

I'd ditch the starter kit. HDMI cables are like $6 from monoprice, and the fan is silly. The console charges the controller as long as it's plugged in, and if you really need a long cable you can get those from monoprice also (USB A to mini-b type). The remote shouldn't cost anywhere near that much either... it's $20 USD (which is like what, $15 CND now).

I still like Resistance: FOM. Fun game, more interesting than Halo these days.

Resistance is still fun for me.

Drakes is an awesome game, if you like the the old tomb raider style games.

devil may cry 4

motostorm is fun, although its only single player.

download folklore off the store and give that a try. its not everyones cup of tea.

Skip the "Starter Kit" for sure, if you need cables, buy them elsewhere. The PS3 controllers last for a pretty long time before you need to recharge them, so its not like you need to play and charge at the same time.

Also, forget about getting a 2nd controller until the DualShock3s come out. If you want a DualShock3 now, check eBay or some import places.

The Sony PS3 remote is good, so make sure you get that. $40 CND/US is too much though. I don't live in Canada however if thats the going rate I guess you just gotta pay it and move on :)

For games just check out some demos on PSN, see what you like. MLB 08 The Show, Rachet and Clank, and Warhawk would be high on my recommendation list. The first two have demos you can check out.

thnx guys, yea some of the prices on stuff still seem high even though our dollar is doing so well, i haven't found the remote for cheaper locally.

well i need the second controler because the gf but i will see if i can wait. and get the newer one

thnx for telling me to ditch the kit because it did make me look for cheaper solutions, and i can get a 6ft HDMI cable from another retailer for 15.00

but i was told the PS3 runs hot and the cooler is a good idea so i thought i would just get it all in one kit, so the cooler is no needed?

and i will be renting some games and checking out the demos as soon as i get it hooked up on saturday :)

thnx again.

Uncharted : Drakes Fortune is my favorite ps3 game

Burnout Paradise if you like crashing cars

Tekken 5 is downloadable, and Pixeljunk monsters is downloadable also, they are both really good games for cheap

Mac[X-D];1032275926 said:
but i was told the PS3 runs hot and the cooler is a good idea so i thought i would just get it all in one kit, so the cooler is no needed?
The older ones run hotter. The new 40GB doesn't as much with the new chip.

Netflix supports bluray, so if you are not a collector and only going to see a movie once go for that.

Imo starter kit means low quality junk pile up in a box.

CoD4 is fun, coming from a PC gamer that owns a PS3, it feels like CoD4 is meant for consoles.

Also linux is a interesting OS to have on the PS3, even though I don't find much use of it.

thnx guys, yea some of the prices on stuff still seem high even though our dollar is doing so well, i haven't found the remote for cheaper locally.

well i need the second controler because the gf but i will see if i can wait. and get the newer one

thnx for telling me to ditch the kit because it did make me look for cheaper solutions, and i can get a 6ft HDMI cable from another retailer for 15.00

and i will be renting some games and checking out the demos as soon as i get it hooked up on saturday :)

thnx again.

check monoprice for cables, don't get a cooler, just don't put your console in a drawer. Download lots of demos and see what you like.

There is a distinct lack of Unreal Tournament 3 in this thread.

The PS3 version is EXCELLENT. The servers are extraordinarily smooth, mod support that gets better and better with updates. Full Mouse and Keyboard support. No need to worry about whether or not your specs are good enough. Hell. Yeah.

I'm also gonna throw in another vote for Uncharted: Drake'es Fortune and Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction.

Also, checkout The Club. Its an acquired taste (I love it), so download the demo and give it a spin.

The PS3 produces a lot of heat----but it does not run hot. It pumps out the heat very well and is very quiet most of the time and even at full blast it isn't bad. I've seen a couple of torture test articles where the PS3 ran normally in some pretty unprobable usage situations. Skip the extra cooling unit and buy a Blu-ray movie.

Uncharted is a MUST, best game on the system. Ratchet and clank is good as well. Everything else is either not that great or far superior on the PC. Since beating Uncharted a few days after I got it, I haven't played a single game on my ps3.

I have had my PS3 for about two weeks and i must say i am thrilled with the quality of the product. The unit itself is almost silent while running under full load(folding) and the DVD upscalling is perfect on my Samsung 40" 1080p telly. its quite a bit better than my samsung dvd player that is built into my reciever (it only goes to 1080i)

I'm playing Resistance right now and its a pretty good game, looking forward to resistance 2. Its also worth noting that you will have access to all sorts of high quality demos that are free to download.

Really no reason to worry about heat with a PS3. Remember if you get a bunch of hot air pumping out the back of the unit, that just means the heatsink is doing its job. PS3s have a very low failure rate, and a lot of people are running Folding@Home on these 24/7 100% CPU load with no extra cooling or reliability issues. Its not like and old revision XBox 360 where if you run the thing at 100% you are basically begging the console to fail and give you a RROD. Sometimes those console coolers can make heat problems worse as well, if they were designed poorly.

Mac[X-D];1032276216 said:
thats good to know. its going to be sitting between my hd cable box and ht receiver/dvd player

Just be sure to check where all the vent holes are and let it breathe. I don't have one yet, currently a Wii360 owner with a PS3 in the future, but there is no point risking a failure because it couldn't breathe.

I think my Wii gets hotter than my 360 which is an older model (no HDMI). My 360 is just really noisy. We actually restarted the system this past weekend after the drive was stuck spinning full blast when we were in the Halo 3 lobby.

I'm getting pretty excited for the PS3 this year. Silent operation, more hard drive space+upgradeable, Bluray, PSP connectivity (this is what the Wii/DS SHOULD have had).

With good platform specific games coming the PS3 this fall it will be a good time to pick one up.

I would wait for the Metal Gear bundle coming out in the summer. 80GB, DualShock3, and a sweet game.

As others have said you should get your HDMI cable from Monoprice. Games that I would pick up are Ratchet and Clank, COD4, Drake's Fortune, Burnout Paradise, Rock Band, and Orange Box. GTA 4 is coming soon and it looks great.

I forgot Heavenly Sword and Assassins Creed.

I love my PS3.

I think everyone else has covered what is needed. Ninja Gaiden Sigma is a good game.

There are a couple of games that I would buy without even thinking about it. It just sucks to wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait..........

[QUOTE='Mac[X-D]
[/QUOTE]

All console coolers are crap. At best they don't do anything. Sometimes they actually impede airflow.

It'd be like putting a lower speed fan on the outside of your fan grill while your higher speed fan is on the inside.

Even if the outside fan was pushing more air (which it generally doesn't, and if it does, that generally means your console is running its fans at low speed, meaning your console is very cool anyway), the air hole design (instead of the grill design) would impede airflow too much for it to make a difference.

EVEN IF you dremel out proper vents at best you could hope for increased static pressure, not increased airflow.

So all in all, Nyko and Intercooler are just trying to leech money off of uninformed

Planet Earth, BBC version

I've got that in BluRay, it's brilliant. Especially the Great White Shark chomping down on the seal. The thing is so huge I thought it was a killer whale at first.

IMO, NHL08 and FIFA08 are must have games for both PS3 and 360.

What's some good PS1 strategy games? Strat games without crap graphics like most PS1 games have too.

Ever play Final Fantasy Tactics? There are others, but it was the first one that came to mind.

PS3 doesn't run hot. Not compared to the 360 anyway, and it's far quieter than the 360 too. That was my major gripe about the 360. Those 3rd party fans do jack shit and are a scam. In fact, Microsoft voids your warranty on the 360 if you happen to let them know you used one and it fails due to heat issues.

Ever play Final Fantasy Tactics? There are others, but it was the first one that came to mind.

No, will look it up though. Does PS1 have the Koei games Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Genghis Khan available?

As others have said you should get your HDMI cable from Monoprice.

Monoprice is in the US and he is in Canada. Not worth the effort or cost to ship cross border for a cheap cable. Place to buy cables online in Canada is NCIX.

Holy thnx for all the input guys this really helps a lot. i was debating getting a 360 but the more i researched the PS3 it is just a better fit for me, and with HD Dead it just made perfect sense. and its so good to hear so much postive feed back about the PS3 from people who own them.

One thing, if i don't plan on playing PS2 games is there any reason to spead the extra 100 dollars on a 80gb PS3 if i can find one, i already have a gaming pc and HTPC it just seems to me that the 80gb is more if you are using it as a media center.

well i have written down all your game suggestions so i have list to start with, i have already played COD4, Orange box on the pc so no need there but i do have a question, does the PS3 natively support KB and mouse? can i just buy a blue tooth KB&mouse and use it on the PS3? i don't know how well i am going to do playing shooters with a game pad. And i can't wait to play Grand Turismo 5, but it looks like R6 Vegas 2 and NHL2008 will be the first games i buy and then GTA 4 at the end of the month, and i am going to try a lot of demos then rent stuff before i buy.

Planet Earth on blue ray is for sure on the list i have been waiting to buy it until i had a bluy ray player.

I can't wait for saturday afternoon.

I use my 40GB as a media center. The 1.6TB of storage on my server computer is good enough, I don't need any on my PS3. It is all streamed, and it streams perfectly.
Thanks TVersity!
Also, if you aren't going to play PS2 games, it is still possibly worth it to wait for the MG bundle this summer, but the new 80GB might go the way of the 40GB and not emulate PS2 games anyway.

if your PS3 is laying flat and you are looking at the front, most of the heat is pumped out the right side. just make sure that has a decent amount of breathing room and you'll be golden.

The PS3 has full support for usb mouse and keyboards as well as bluetooth. You can then use them to surf the internet more easily and whatnot. The only game that has full KB&M support is UT3.

other good PS1 strategy RPGs are Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth, Saiyuki: Journey West, Vandal Hearts 2, Front Mission 3.

Is the online multiplayer a figment of my imagination then? :D

Don't know, is it?

I haven't played Motostorm online, I meant it was only single player in the fact that you can't compete against another on the same machine, i.e. mario kart,

I use my 40GB as a media center. The 1.6TB of storage on my server computer is good enough, I don't need any on my PS3. It is all streamed, and it streams perfectly.
Thanks TVersity!
Also, if you aren't going to play PS2 games, it is still possibly worth it to wait for the MG bundle this summer, but the new 80GB might go the way of the 40GB and not emulate PS2 games anyway.

yea someone mentioned that at work today that reason there are no 80gb left is sony wants to stop ps2 games on the ps3 for whatever reason. so the new 80gb won't support ps2 games.

i think the 40gb is going to be more than enough for me.

Mac[X-D];1032280429 said:
One thing, if i don't plan on playing PS2 games is there any reason to spead the extra 100 dollars on a 80gb PS3 if i can find one, i already have a gaming pc and HTPC it just seems to me that the 80gb is more if you are using it as a media center.

No it isn't really. Plus, if you ever do want extra hdd space, you can do so with most notebook harddrives and it's endorsed by sony so it doesn't void your warranty. I upgraded from 40GB to 250GB for around $120 and it took about 10 minutes.

well i have written down all your game suggestions so i have list to start with, i have already played COD4, Orange box on the pc so no need there but i do have a question, does the PS3 natively support KB and mouse? can i just buy a blue tooth KB&mouse and use it on the PS3?

The PS3 supports them. I'm not sure about the games though.

No it isn't really. Plus, if you ever do want extra hdd space, you can do so with most notebook harddrives and it's endorsed by sony so it doesn't void your warranty. I upgraded from 40GB to 250GB for around $120 and it took about 10 minutes.

who did it for you? or did you do yourself? is there a os of some kind to load?

The PS3 supports them. I'm not sure about the games though.

yea, i guess UT3 is the olny game that does.

Back