Going cablecard!

Just had a random "not tuner available" message. These seem to happen every once in a great while. But if I give it a couple minutes everything is fine.

No tuner available messages are normal in situations like coming out of sleep while the tuner initializes, etc; usually about a minute.

There IS an outstanding reboot issue that Ceton is working to resolve - could be that the tuner rebooted at some point shortly before (or during) when you were tuning the channel. You can check the tuner up time in the web diagnostics page.

I just use Sickbeard and Sabnzbd. Everything we want is automatically recorded, organized, and is completely commercial free. And we pay $0 per month.

That's pretty impressive if you get the internet and <redacted> service for free.

Legally? Wow, fill us in !
While using Sickbeard and Sabnzbd on it's own are legal, there's a good chance that the content being acquired isn't.

No tuner available messages are normal in situations like coming out of sleep while the tuner initializes, etc; usually about a minute.

There IS an outstanding reboot issue that Ceton is working to resolve - could be that the tuner rebooted at some point shortly before (or during) when you were tuning the channel. You can check the tuner up time in the web diagnostics page.

This happens sometimes in the middle of watching a show. Next time it does hopefully I'll have a minute to go use the diagnostic tool.

The channel lineup is changing tomorrow, they're adding a bunch of new HD channels and rearranging others.

This ought to be good :D

Shentel can't get the cablecard to take the new channel lineup, so the new channels all say no subscription, or they bring up the wrong channel. Nat Geo is currently CNN.

Yay for nerd rage! :D

I just moved this past weekend - tried connecting up last night for the first time and it wouldn't work. Cable modem wouldn't stay connected either......so I ended up having a Comcast tech come out today. He installed a different signal amp on the main line, got the modem up, but the CableCARD still wouldn't connect -- the OOB wouldn't lock.

Turns out, by moving across town, I needed a different card because my old place was on a TWC network owned/operated by Comcast, here is just a regular Comcast network, meaning they stage the cards differently. Guy took 35-40 minutes to drive back to the service center, get a new card, 10 mins on the phone to pair it and send signals, and BAM, all done.

I am having a problem with an audio popping noise when changing channels. After some research, I determined it to be a checkbox about allowing exclusive control of the HDMI audio device to applications. Disable that, no popping noise. However, disable that, and TMT5 won't play blurays. Need to find another workaround...

Shentel can't get the cablecard to take the new channel lineup, so the new channels all say no subscription, or they bring up the wrong channel. Nat Geo is currently CNN.

Yay for nerd rage! :D

In the Ceton web page diagnostics, you can go to the CableCARD tab and at the bottom, there's an option to clear the current channel map - it should re-download the map. Not sure your specifics, but worth a shot. Or, open a case with Ceton and they'll help you out with your MSO.

In the Ceton web page diagnostics, you can go to the CableCARD tab and at the bottom, there's an option to clear the current channel map - it should re-download the map. Not sure your specifics, but worth a shot. Or, open a case with Ceton and they'll help you out with your MSO.

O'rly. I had not seen that option. I'll check it out, thanks :cool:

Turns out I had a bad cablecard. A tech came by with a new one and everything works perfectly now.

:cool:

I am having a problem with an audio popping noise when changing channels. After some research, I determined it to be a checkbox about allowing exclusive control of the HDMI audio device to applications. Disable that, no popping noise. However, disable that, and TMT5 won't play blurays. Need to find another workaround...

Huzzah for HDMI handshake issues! HDCP is a massive PITA and, of course, it can only negatively impact those who have actually paid for all the equipment and source material. if you pirate the damn stuff you'll never have an issue. isn't DRM grand :rolleyes:

Yeah, something like that. I'm honestly fed up with all the little kinks to the point where I may just go back to using PS3 Media Server streaming to a 360, and a dedicated bluray player for everything else. It's almost not worth the headache.

MS finally pulled the new guide data from Zap2it. No more building channels maps by hand!

FYI - things are looking good with Ceton's latest beta FW regarding the reboot issue. I still need more time, but happy so far.

Mine's been very solid since I got a working cablecard. No more issues with the board not showing upon bootup.

Mine's been very solid since I got a working cablecard. No more issues with the board not showing upon bootup.
Everything still working solid?

I'm contemplating getting one of these Ceton tuners for my htpc, but I'm alarmed at the amount of frustration people experience with them.

I read through this entire thread and few others here and there, but could you sum any pointers or advice?

I've setup two systems over the past 2 years and both work reliably well. A lot of the frustration you see really has to do with your cable co. and it's tough to tell the difference when you're new to the situation. Additionally, if your cable co area uses SDV, you need a TA which is another moving cog that also ups the ante in complexity.

Advice:
When you get your cable card, pick two of them up in case one doesn't work - this is far too common and usually due to incorrect settings at the cable co end, but it's usually faster/easier to try a new card.

Have the tech test your signal quality at the cable jack you're plugging the InfiniTV into.

Remove as many splitters as you can in the path towards the InfiniTV - remember, it has an internal 4way splitter you'll need to account for. Preference is within -10 to +10 dBmv

I setup pairing using the Ceton diagnostic tool before even attempting tuner setup in WMC - in other words, you don't need WMC in order to pair your card. Just go to the CableCard tab and read off the host/data id's as needed. You can also test entitlement to your channels. Make sure you're calling yoru cable co's CableCard hotline- don't try through the typical support line or it will take forever to get someone knowledgable; Ceton should provide these numbers to you.

Pairing should more/less be instant - if you don't have all green checks, continue to work with the tech. I've had times where they will say things like "it should all work within a few hours." This is never the case, in my experience.

While pairing, have a few channels written down to test entitlement (from the CableCard diagnostics tab); for example, test an OTA channel (like NBC), test another channel like FX or HGTV, and then test a premium channel like HBO/Showtime. They all should work.

Then, do the WMC tv tuner/live tv setup. Once that's complete, try and record 4 items at once to make sure you have no faulty tuners (very rare, but can happen).

Be prepared to go through your guide and remove duplicate tv entries as needed.

I read through this entire thread and few others here and there, but could you sum any pointers or advice?

I've had mine up for ~2 months now, and have completely missed 1 recording, and had problems with 2 others. The missed recording was due to WMC completely locking up. One was cut off after 12 minutes on an hour program. The other had a corrupt/unreadable part that I could skip past and continue to view. I'm not sure what happened. I believe it MAY be due to a signal strength dropping too low, as I do have more splitters in use than I care to count. Hopefully in the next week or two I'll be able to find time to hardwire some cat5e so I can move my modem/router out of the way and eliminate a splitter.

And during the setup, mine DID take 30-40 minutes to pull the entire channel lineup, which is exactly what they told me. In my case, the lower channels came in almost instantly (4,5,9,11,etc), but the HD and premium channels are all listed under 800+, and those took quite a while to show up.

my cable card ceton has been working 24/7 for the last year and a half with basically 0 issues.

only once did i start to get low singal errors.... the card was overheating because it was full of dust...

cleaned it out, threw a fan on top of it and even in 90 degree ambient temps it is perfect.

recording 4 streams at a time :D

Awesome, thank you gang for the input. I feel more confident going into this now. If you think of anything else or any of the easily forgotten details, please fill me in. :cool:

I ended up moving mine to a Core i5 rig. Had too many glitches with the old rig.

No issues at all now, ever.

Back