Going cablecard!

Since the cable guy is coming anyways, have him check your signal levels as well - the InfiniTV needs a good signal (between +10 to -10 db range seems to be acceptable; closer to 0 the better).

Thanks for the tip. :)

I'm fortunate that the outside plant in my neighborhood is less than a year old too.

Getting these things properly setup seems to be pretty hit or miss, but most things with the cable companies are. Couldn't get past the basic local channels on my homerun prime, called in and got put on hold over and over again, finally some lady said she talked to an engineer who would run tests. Engineer couldn't figure it out, said she'd call me back in 15. Never called me back.

Called in again, got to a tier two guy, all he had to do was re-order the way things were arranged in the billing or something like that and it worked fine.

Also, don't pull the cablecard out of the device when you first get it up and going, it messed up the firmware on the cablecard and it had to start over and completely re install the firmware which took almost awhile.

Also, don't pull the cablecard out of the device when you first get it up and going, it messed up the firmware on the cablecard and it had to start over and completely re install the firmware which took almost awhile.

These things sit on the shelves forever so they usually initiate a firmware upgrade as soon as you plug them in (which can take 30-60mins in my experience), which is why you shouldn't unplug after your boot up the first time (and restart the process). Ceton diagnostics should indicate that the process is underway.

The next thing on my to-do list is going to be to check into a signal amplifier. I'm moving this weekend into a SFH instead of a townhome, so I'm hoping that helps, because currently, my ceton is showing anywhere from -16.3 to -18.9db. Everything seems to be working, but I imagine it would look even better with a higher number....

After a bit of work I have it working. Mostly. It would seem I can only watch or record one show.

I'm thinking that because I had a test tuner in I've fouled the whole thing up.

So, I'll be doing a full win 7 re-install tomorrow and just start from scratch. That ought to unfuck any testing I did.

After a bit of work I have it working. Mostly. It would seem I can only watch or record one show.

I'm thinking that because I had a test tuner in I've fouled the whole thing up.

So, I'll be doing a full win 7 re-install tomorrow and just start from scratch. That ought to unfuck any testing I did.

Make sure that you're using an M-stream cablecard. If they gave you an S card you're going to be stuck with one show.

It all works now.

Just recorded 3 shows at once and watched a 4th on both the htpc and then a 360.

Bizarre.

I can't get some of the analog channels, yet they show up fine on both of the cable boxes.

edit: appears to be a channel mapping issue. There are digital mirrors for all the analog channels, some aren't being picked up.

Last edited:
These things sit on the shelves forever so they usually initiate a firmware upgrade as soon as you plug them in (which can take 30-60mins in my experience), which is why you shouldn't unplug after your boot up the first time (and restart the process). Ceton diagnostics should indicate that the process is underway.

Ya, that's what I found out after yanking it out apparently halfway through a firmware update (we were still moving things around to get the wiring in place properly). Letting it pull the firmware again fixed all the issues though.

I added my trusty nVidia DualTV analog tuner. Now I'm all set.

Everything seems to work.

Sometimes this thing has a fit about signal level (they're great).

It'll say it can't record, but it'll record anyways.

I think I'll order a better quality signal amp to see if that clears things up.

After trying to watch TV yesterday I think I've hd enough. It had two random hissy fits for no reason, and the recording I tried to watch got screwed up halfway through because the CC magically decided I had no subscription.

So since I can return everything and only be out the $50 for the cable install, I think I'll wash my hands of this PITA.

All I really want to do is watch TV!

After trying to watch TV yesterday I think I've hd enough. It had two random hissy fits for no reason, and the recording I tried to watch got screwed up halfway through because the CC magically decided I had no subscription.

So since I can return everything and only be out the $50 for the cable install, I think I'll wash my hands of this PITA.

All I really want to do is watch TV!
sounds like somethings broken. I've never had issues with my hardware once it was paired

I just came into my office to shut the pc down and it wanted to setup the cablecard, again.

Yeah, I'm done this little project.

edit: CC was hot when I took it out. :rolleyes: Guess I'll keep fucking with this.

Last edited:
I just came into my office to shut the pc down and it wanted to setup the cablecard, again.

Yeah, I'm done this little project.

edit: CC was hot when I took it out. :rolleyes: Guess I'll keep fucking with this.

It is absolutely a project. It is really, really awesome when it works but I've been running a cablecard for almost 4 years now and (starting with the old ATI Digital TV wonders) and always run into small hiccups here and there.

Sounds like a card issue or a signal issue to me.

Well, I've got a good pro grade signal amp coming today.

Also, I just turned this thing into a jet engine, built a small duct too to help keep the Ceton cool.

Good thing it's no longer in the living room!

What temp is the web interface showing for your ceton? I haven't checked mine with multiple tuners active, but with just a single one I'm at ~48C.

It got as high as 55C yesterday when I first started it up. I'd bet it got a lot warmer too considering the cablecard was very warm.

This ought to take care of things.

457DD989.jpg

That'll channel airflow over the Ceton and out the back. Before it was just one 80mm up front that was volt modded down to 7v, and the PSU fan for exhaust. Now I've got the front 80mm at full strength, and added the twin 60mm back in for exhaust out the back.

I average around 55* with all 4 streams going. I also added a fan and slot vent since I was pushing 62-65* originally.

It's down to 45C right now with the cover off, no duct, and the analog tuner next to it out.

I've reloaded Windows from scratch, so if it doesn't run smoothly now it's a goner.

Nerd rage is not good when you're trying to watch Top Gear :p

It's finally usable again.

Do I dare fuck the whole thing up with the analog tuner? lulz

Took four reboots to get the card to come fully up. I'd say I have a flakey card.

I got the cable amp last night, so I'll hook that up and see if it helps.

I opened a ticket with Ceton, they want an error log next time it screws up. I can still return it to Amazon though, just not for replacement. I'd have to order another card.

So, we shall see. I have most of the day to stress test this thing.

I tested this thing all day.

Temps never went above 53C on the Ceton. The signal amp appears to have helped, I only go two instances of either "No Subscription" or "Weak Signal". I'm going to ground the signal amp (the demarc is already grounded) and see if it helps with noise, which occasionally gets up to 38db. Every little bit helps I guess.

So question regarding the cable card, it can record 4 channels at once, but can you watch live tv on same 3 other tvs with extenders or will it be the same channel on all 3?

I would like to get away from paying for a cable box, but need to be able to watch different shows on 3 different tvs.

are you able to record HBO with this

You can watch or record up to 4 different shows at once. Extenders can all watch their own channel.

I could record HBO if I subscribed to it.

what are some extenders?

we just bought a house, and i have the following:
Upstairs Master - 2 HDMI and 4 CAT5 run to downstairs built in (next to fireplace)
Downstairs Master - 2 HDMI and 4 CAT5 run to downstairs built in (next to fireplace)
Den (next to fireplace) - 2 hdmi and 4 cat5 to the cabinent below.

I would like to not pay for 3 cable boxes and I currently do not have DVR.

What extenders could I get that I can put in the home run location and control with IR Repeater?

You can also find Linksys DMA2100/2200, HP x280n which work pretty well too (though they are discontinued).

Everything seems to be working fine. I did have a message to set up my cablecard this morning, but I skipped that and everything works fine. So I scheduled a shit ton of recordings, and I'm watching on a 360 right now. That ought to stress test it nicely.

Hopefully my aggravation is done. Until the 6th when the cable co is changing the channel lineup around and adding a ton of HD channels.

I just use Sickbeard and Sabnzbd. Everything we want is automatically recorded, organized, and is completely commercial free. And we pay $0 per month.

Back