GOG - Ultima and Wing Commander 50% off

Thanks for the heads-up. Wing Commander is one of my all time favorites.

Man....wish they made games as memorable as these still.

I sunk SO much time into ALL of these games growing up. Wing Commander 1 + Sound Blaster + Speech Pack = JAW DROP and GIDDY LAUGHTER back in the early 90's.

So my understanding is some Ultima's are loved and some are complete garbage. Can anyone clarify?

So my understanding is some Ultima's are loved and some are complete garbage. Can anyone clarify?

They were all pretty good IMO. Once you get to Ultima 8, however, it starts to go downhill since the original team fell apart due to multiple story, code revisions and premature release. I wouldn't say any of them are "complete garbage". Even Ascension (wish I could find this somewhere...) had the makings of a great open-world RPG.

Underworld I and II were one of the first and best 1st-person RPGs.

Ultima VII and Serpent's Isle are two of the finest isometric RPGs ever made IMO. The inventory system, plot pacing and dialogue still seem fresh today (has 20 years gone by... shit, I'm old). I still have the original disks, instructions and cloth map... :)

Last edited:
$2.99 is 50% off? Damn didn't think a 20-30 year old game should be priced at $6... but then again some are fun.

Depends upon what you consider garbage
U1 & 2 I didn't care for much, it was your basic "you hero" and that's it no customization
U3 was the first to come out with the whole party system with different characters
U4 actually took the party system a bit further with 8 characters IIRC each of a different class however a really REALLY picky virtue system in the game, there's food on a table, cool I'll grab it... sorry that's considered theft. They were really trying to push the envelope here with role playing above the standard hack and slash
U5 took a step back and went to three classes IIRC, Fighter, Bard, Mage, however the story was quite fun, graphics were quite a bit nicer than other games (for the time) and overall worry of Shadows was quite nice to have.

After that the game got a MAJOR graphics overhaul, unfortunately I lost interest in the games then, so can't comment on them. Having actually owned all the previous games though, I feel that I already bought my license to play them, regardless of what EA thinks... that said it does make me want to find an "abandonware" version of Ultima V again and play it.

Ultima VII remains my favorite game of all time, and also probably the most involved and complex story of any game I played, even more so than Planescape and Baldur's Gate.

Ultima IX: Ascension was awesome to play....It has an undeserved reputation as being underwhelming due to bugs when it first came out, and because its graphics were so advanced it brought every system to its knees. Those issues were eventually fixed, but the stigma stuck (also because no party, historically a strong point of the series, single character only). Honestly the graphics weren't matched for years, and it looks more like a game that came out mid to late 2000s and not the 90s.

I'd jump on any of these if I didn't already have them!

Has anyone tried the Wing Commander Games with an Xbox 360 controller? I have tried an Xbox controller on DosBox games before, and it wouldn't calibrate properly.

Man, I played the hell out of Wing Commander "back in the day". Now I can replay them with a joystick!

I loved the Ultima games. But dang, it's so hard for me to play these games for more than 5 minutes now. :)

U7 is a neat game, but that was one where they pushed the envelope a little too far. I had to keep zip copies of my saves, since it would either randomly corrupt saves, or the plot would get "stuck" for an event that didn't happen right.

They fixed it later, but I was so pissed I spent my money on such a buggy game, I never finished it back then.

U7 is a neat game, but that was one where they pushed the envelope a little too far. I had to keep zip copies of my saves, since it would either randomly corrupt saves, or the plot would get "stuck" for an event that didn't happen right.

They fixed it later, but I was so pissed I spent my money on such a buggy game, I never finished it back then.

I never played a game like U7 when it first came out. I didn't get involved within the story until later. I was too busy running around finding treasures, figuring what key goes where, and just playing it sandbox-style. Bake bread!? COOL! Break into the bank...niiiice....Use the cannon to try to kill Lord British? Crap...didn't work. What...whats this, a black rock sword? I can kill Lord British now? SWEEET!

Ah...the memories and hundreds and hundreds of hours ignoring homework and personal hygiene. ;)

Who knows when I'll play them, but went ahead and grabbed them all before the deal expired. I remember playing Ultima I, II and III back in elementary school when they first came out. Seem to recall liking III the most. Looking at the screen shots some of the others look familiar.

Now Wing Commander is a different story! Man, did I play that game a LOT! Actually still have WC III on disc in my office; just could bring myself to throw it away for some reason. Come to think of it, am pretty sure I have Privateer as well. But for $3/ea and knowing they'll work on a current gen system, it was well worth it. Looks like it's time to unearth the old joystick; or use this as an excuse to get a new one.

Also grabbed Castles 1 & 2. Know I played C1 extensively back when... always enjoyed building and designing my ultimate fortress. :)

Back