God I Hate Cloudflare

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
They keep flagging my VPN endpoints giving me bad results all across the web.

Some websites won't let me connect at all, others block me from creating accounts, and others yet spam me with captcha's.

It ought to be illegal to ban an entire VPN endpoint just because some user on it is doing something shady.

And I'm not even convinced that's whats going on. I think they are just detecting an unusual number of connection requests from the same IP (of course, because lots of legitimate users are behind it) and automatically blocking it.

If it were up to me I'd make heuristic blocking of VPN endpoints illegal. No one should be forced to browse the web unprotected.

No one is forcing you to browse the web unprotected.

On the contrary, no one should be forced to host a public server without implementing their own security measures to protect against fraudsters and/or malicious attackers. The level of protection they are implementing is irrelevant. What you are proposing is far more ridiculous than what's already occurring.

No one is forcing you to use the sites that are giving you CAPTCHAs and/or blacklisting grief.

Last edited:
Are you using a VPN service or are they banning dedicated boxes you've set up as VPNs? I gather service from the context of your question.

Rolling your own is always an (albeit significantly more expensive) option.

I've found that rolling your own also has a similar issue, though it occurs less commonly (and I can't recall Cloudflare being related whenever it does). It's usually sites that just block entire "cloud" IP ranges.

Are you using a VPN service or are they banning dedicated boxes you've set up as VPNs? I gather service from the context of your question.

Rolling your own is always an (albeit significantly more expensive) option.

Logically I don't find dedicated boxes to help much. Now you are just moving the problem from your local ISP to whomever you are renting or colocating your dedicated box with. That, and you also have less obscurity blending in withthe crowd, because all the requests from the IP of your homemade box are your own. One of the benefits of large scale VPN's (if you can trust them, but mine claims to never keep records) is that there are tons of requests coming from the same IP, so it is much more difficult to narrow down and single out one specific user through logging by IP.

I just want to end the practice of anyone - except for me - ever collecting or using any of my data at all, except for maybe the credit reporting agencies, but only for the purposes of providing my history to those whom I have given written consent to request it.

We need to end the data business once and for all. I don't care who in silicon valley that hurts. it needs to die.

Back