GN: Intel Arc A750 GPU "Hands-On" + driver issues(update)

Yeah, Steve nails it. Intel has so many resources and then they release something like this, it's embarrassing. Too bad, because it's really going to overshadow what could be decent hardware.

How could this have been tested at all? Should have never even been made available as a beta/release candidate.

Are these actually available via normal retail means yet? While there's definitely no excuse for things being this bad, Nvidia has bungled drivers for new products pretty badly, too. Luckily, not recently.

The A380 is "available", but mostly Asia right now afaik. So yes, Steve's point about this being "bad" is correct. There are even Intel rumors of them pulling it all back.

The A380 is "available", but mostly Asia right now afaik. So yes, Steve's point about this being "bad" is correct. There are even Intel rumors of them pulling it all back.

I get the feeling they are dumping what they have in Asia before getting out. If they dump them in the states and Europe there's a huge PR hit.

Bang them out in China at budget prices and walk away.

One idea I saw was what they could have done is spin off a small shell company to have done this. Then, they could "buy" it and then they'd have a lot more time to work out kinks and we'd all be just as excited. But the over-sell, under-deliver thing has reviewers in a mood. Like Steve said, it's all these extra features that don't work. If it was just like, a third option that cranks out the FPS better than any iGPU, then they'd be off to a much better start. And I mean, how hard is it to make a driver that doesn't leave crap behind after an uninstall? I'm genuinely asking. I know DDU existed long before this and for good reasons.

I'm glad that Intel delayed the release of this product so that they could get all of the kinks worked out first.

They must be taking notes from EA on launching broken products and turning their customers into Beta testers.
A good way to lose your customer base! But to go full-tilt on the EA strategy they needed a slick trailer and bank on the pre-order crowd.

I have no doubts Intel can improve both with drivers and better silicon.

I'd like to see them stay in the market, even at the low to mid end it will put pressure on red/green teams to get better.

Expecting to get it perfect and hit the ball out of the park on your first try is unrealistic.

I have no doubts Intel can improve both with drivers and better silicon.

I'd like to see them stay in the market, even at the low to mid end it will put pressure on red/green teams to get better.

Expecting to get it perfect and hit the ball out of the park on your first try is unrealistic.
Even if they make it to market, it's too late. Last year having a 3070 or even a 3060, for that matter, equivalent would have been great. Releasing said model now with the 4000 series on their way, deadly bad.

we are a long time away of Amd or NVIDIA releasing a new card in that price point no ?

Could still be too late regardless of the next-gen coming up, having a good priced 3050 to 3070 last year was a giant deal, now you need to beat the $250 new RX 6600, $350 6600xt or a $210 1660 super in quality-price by a significant amount to be a big deal, which make the job of that lineup to be relevant much harder.

Last edited:
is there a set price that i missed?
In the sense that below 4080 would be not released until Q1 2023, which I am not sure it matter that much when a Dell or Hp have to decide what to put in their pc in the next months and that a 3050-3070 competitor could be relevant for a long time at the right price with no easy to buy competition for what a full year ?, the xx90-80 being a different tier of product.

My worry here is that Intel made a lot of wafers and will dump them at deep bargain prices depressing prices even further than the crypto-glut would have.

We're looking at a depression in graphics technology. A serious situation for any company with a bloated inventory. I think AMD is in better shape than nVidia.

We're looking at a depression in graphics technology. A serious situation for any company with a bloated inventory. I think AMD is in better shape than nVidia.
Do you think either sit on a significant not pre-sold inventory ?

I would have imagined they were not making fast enough to fill all their pre-sold command of chips by AIB and were purely making already sold items (that had to be reserved well in advance by buyers).

Maybe that distinction is mute, bloated inventory of sellers of cards having the similar effect on NVIDIA-AMD (and AMD having more things they can do like PS5 soc and cpus on the same process of their would have reserved fab space to be in much trouble)

One possible left field ball, Apple will be I imagine some innovation for their upcoming dual "8k" virtual and mixed-reality module with their very efficient silicon, like clear high def rendering only where it is needed because you are actually looking there and what not. And what apple wanted to do on the next generation of Apple Mx is probably completely unnafected and will continue to push.

Also nvidia-AMD would be working right now on a 2025 release of product 5xxx/8xxxx and playstation 6 SOC to be released around that time, I am not sure if the current summer-fall and early 2023 market should have much influence on that R&D, it is not like they would be cash lacking for it.

My worry here is that Intel made a lot of wafers and will dump them at deep bargain prices depressing prices even further than the crypto-glut would have.

Unless you work for AMD or Nvidia, this seems like an odd thing to worry about. After a few quarters of record profit, I'd imagine that they both have the cash reserves needed to weather this slump out.

Meanwhile, we might get graphics that perform on par with a GeForce 3070 for around $350 retail. That sounds like a win for gamers.

we are a long time away of Amd or NVIDIA releasing a new card in that price point no ?

Could still be too late regardless of the next-gen coming up, having a good priced 3050 to 3070 last year was a giant deal, now you need to beat the $250 new RX 6600, $350 6600xt or a $210 1660 super in quality-price by a significant amount to be a big deal, which make the job of that lineup to be relevant much harder.
I don't think they are vying for hard core gamer money,...yet.
They know this is late in the season to compete with top end champs.
The idea is get something for low to middle to afford. The type of people who are brand loyal would never look anyway.
I am looking to buy one for Plex. Nvidia Quadro P2000 once stood as the premium card for streaming, those are still over $500 and once Plex supports AV1, I can cut my storage needs by 2/3.

Check it out, it's an Intel Arc sighting in the wild! This is a screenshot of a Windows desktop from a recent Linus Tech Tips video:

1660253139772.png

The aftermath.....Intel tries to fix their fuck ups.

I caught that video earlier and gave it a double watch.

Aside from the fact that Gamers Nexus is one of the few enthusiast channels that doesn't piss me off, I thought the video was fairly diplomatic. It said what needed to be said without burning bridges.

From my standpoint I'm not even interested in the product anymore. And on the professional side I'm leery of anything that Intel might sell into the enterprise space that is *not* a processor.

However, trotting out the ex-nVidia guy with his trusty sidekick more or less destroyed any hope I had for the product. "Modern memory controller"?!?!? "Specifically designed for re-bar"!?!?!?! Talk about turning a negative into positive marketing spin.

Here's the truth:

1. The cards are useless on anything other that a recent motherboard.

2. The cards are useless for titles that use anything less than DX12.

So this precludes something like 90% of the installed base of gaming PCs and 95% of published game titles.

I'd like someone to explain to me how this is a positive without weasel words or pettifogging.

not a A750 but preordered my A380 for transcoding. Don't have a quicksync pc and this was the cheapest way to get it. with AV1 support on top. YOLO! Its probably going to go as well as the last time I bought an intel video card.

not a A750 but preordered my A380 for transcoding. Don't have a quicksync pc and this was the cheapest way to get it. with AV1 support on top. YOLO! Its probably going to go as well as the last time I bought an intel video card.
Didn't know you could pre-order. Thanks for heads up.
Not for gaming, I have a 3090 for that.

Back