GMX 5.1 loses DD bitstream, pops when it "wakes up"

horseflesh

Weaksauce
The green DD light on my GMX 5.1 decoder pod will go out if the computer isn't playing any sound. Next time the computer plays a sound, like when I get email, the decoder goes P-POP! and the green light comes on. Then it goes off again.

Sometimes, if I am lucky, I won't hear the pop... I'll just hear nothing as the decoder eats the first second of sound and silently comes to life.

I have had this problem with an nForce2 SoundStorm system, and my current HDA Mystique Dolby Digital card. It has persisted across different motherboards and Windows installations. I have tried coax and optical cables. No difference.

I tried turning on a bunch of recording inputs, like the mic, hoping it would keep the bitstream alive, but no luck.

It's driving me nuts. Games sound great, but if there are only occasional sounds I'm out of luck. Is there any way to force the GMX 5.1 to stay "awake?"

P-POP! There it goes again. I have email.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Hmm. Never heard of that happening on an nForce2 before. Indeed, it never happened to *me* when I had an nForce2 and GMX-D 5.1s.

On the other hand, that's kinda a 'known issue' of the HDA cards, so, nothing can be done there.

Are you SURE it happened on the nForce2, though?

Do your self a favor and contact klipsch. They should know how to fix this. My receiver used to do this, and what happens was the receiver was set to "auto detect" the signal. That means it would determin if it was a PCM stereo signal, or a DD or DTS signal. When no audio was played, the thing would auto mute. When a sound would first play, like an e-mail sound, it would sound wierd, or make a pop.
To fix this, I changed the input mode to PCM stereo instead of "auto detect". That way it kept a PCM stereo signal open even when no audio was being played. I have a funny feeling klipsch's system you have has something like this, so they should know how to fix this.

~Good luck, and keep us posted.

If your using the HDA, enable a setting called "Magic Voice"

it will constantly leave the bitstream on so you don't get the popping sound.

Thanks everyone! Magic Voice, here I come.

(and yep, it did still happen with the nForce 2. Though now that I think about it, I was able to defeat the POP by leaving the mic input active. That didn't work on the HDA though.)

Back