Gmail Gets Drag-and-Drop Attachments

HardOCP News

[H] News
Gmail finally has the ability to drag and drop attachments into messages. What’s the catch? The feature is only for Google Chrome and Firefox 3.6.

I used to have to click "Attach a file," find the photos, click them, etc. Starting today, if I'm using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox 3.6, I can just drag and drop the files to attach them — easy as pie. We'll enable this for other browsers as soon as they support this feature. For now, you can drag and drop attachments in Chrome and Firefox only.

Huh. I have always used an e-mail client that supports this but it just never comes up. Either I've got an Explorer window open (Right-click > Send To > Mail Recipient) or Outlook (which lets me browse for a file from My Documents as quickly as Explorer could).

Apparently the kids nowadays are all about dragging documents on top of taskbar icons, too. Why???

What's stopping them for providing this feature in IE?

Nothing really, I guess they just didn't want to code for IE but it should work IE9. At any rate I HATE the Gmail web client. Outlook 2010 is sweet and works much better on my touchscreen Tablet PC.

At any rate I HATE the Gmail web client. Outlook 2010 is sweet and works much better on my touchscreen Tablet PC.

I suppose Outlook does work better for a Tablet PC, but is there any web interface better than gmails?

I Love GMail, and Chrome. Yes, NSA is completely up my ass, and Im sure I Do have plenty to hide.. not that you have to have anything to hide to be victimized by the Corporatist Police State anyway, they have access, they can create the cause...but..oh well.. what can ya do...there is no hiding anymore..

and back on topic..glad they finaly handled this!

I'm a weirdo, but I like my yahoo mail :p I don't get a lot of e-mails so maybe if I did I'd give gmail a try.

Also I love Firefox :D

This definitely sounds like a great feature.

What's stopping them for providing this feature in IE?

I bet it might have something to do with how retarded IE is at rendering modern web design elements across all their versions compared to FF or any webkit browser.

I suppose Outlook does work better for a Tablet PC, but is there any web interface better than gmails?

Agreed, the Gmail web client is great as far as web clients but it really is a toy however it's good enough most folks.

It's great to not have to set it up and download mail locally however.

I have firefox, IE, and crome cause there all good for different things. This new feature is cool.

I have firefox, IE, and crome cause there all good for different things. This new feature is cool.
This is the boat that I'm in. Over the last three years I haven't been able to totally stick with one browser for all my needs. When I hit a site that doesn't work right in one browser, I fire that site up in another.

All the email client comments: I don't have to keep up with app profiles and all that mess or how what is setup where. Phone syncs with gmail, gmail gives me my online access on desktops or laptop and trillian tells me if I have new mails. Simple and it works great. I was using Thunderbird for a while, but it got to be a hassle with all the email accounts I had. Any domain I work with I setup on the google apps system now. The best junk mail filtering and options anywhere.

I scoff at the idea of an email application.

Gmail finally has the ability to drag and drop attachments into messages. What’s the catch? The feature is only for Google Chrome and Firefox 3.6.

Chrome and FF only...So? Google would piss on IE literally if it could, no one cares about Opera period, plus Safari is Apple, and Apple and Google are becoming phone competitors....Google is aware that FF has a large market share and it would piss off way too many people to only allow this feature on Chrome but allow all their other features on all browsers. Plus by doing that, Google would start to look proprietary, which they aren't! I ONLY use FF and I would be saaaaaalty if they did that...but they didn't, so I'm happy :)

Back