Gmail Accidentally Resetting Accounts

HardOCP News

[H] News
Are you one of the 150k - 500k Gmail users that had your account reset today? The good news is that Google says they are working on it and have some accounts restored already. The bad news is that a bunch of you are still hosed for the time being. Thanks to Matt Schwier for the link.

While we haven't experienced the issue personally, we're hearing that the bug effectively reset some accounts, treating their owners as new users complete with welcome messages. For its part, Google says that the issue "affects less than .29% of the Google Mail userbase," engineers are working to fix the issue right now, and that missing messages will be restored as soon as possible. We'll soon see if this is a momentary setback... or a lengthy wakeup call.

Funny how every so often we hear about these Gmail issues happening, yet I have some friends that try to tell me how great it is and why its so much better than Yahoo mail. I can't remember the last time that Yahoo messed up Ymail anything like this.

I guess Yahoo just saves all their fail for the rest of their stuff.

Never use Gmail but looks like all my crap is there that I have not checked in along ass time.

Exactly what I did this morning after I caught that article early on. Loaded up Outlook (which I rarely actually use even if it is installed), added my 4 Gmail accounts I use almost daily for various purposes and then just left it alone until they were completely synced on my laptop. I'll be burning that stuff off to a DVD here shortly.

It's a very good idea to do it, that's for damned sure. If you don't have Outlook, grab Thunderbird from Mozilla.org and use that, doesn't matter. Make sure you set your Gmail account options to either leave mail in the Inbox or archive it after syncing it by POP or IMAP so you have two copies: the original archived on Gmail and then the new copy you have locally after syncing the locations.

Addendum:

You don't have to use Outlook or Thunderbird, was just using those as probably the two most popular local email client apps. On Linux there's Empathy and many other clients, and on Windows there's a bunch of email apps as well - I kinda wish Microsoft hadn't yanked Windows Mail from Windows 7 in some respects, and I realize I can add it back in but the Windows Live Essentials stuff isn't something I care to muck around with.

thats why i leave thunderbird open on my desktop at the house. Just back it up every month. Cant trust anything in the cloud, sure its convenient, till it borks.

Funny how every so often we hear about these Gmail issues happening, yet I have some friends that try to tell me how great it is and why its so much better than Yahoo mail. I can't remember the last time that Yahoo messed up Ymail anything like this.

I never really consider yahoo mail. But I really just compare gmail as better than hotmail. Simply because of the push/pull over pop3.

Common ppl, this is hardforum... stop sounding like spam bots and say something constructive.

Stuff like that happen all the time on lesser sites, but noone notices... besides, ppl just lost access, nothing like what happened with hotmails disappearing mail a little while ago.

Just use some common sense and sync your mail once in a while. Having a mail client also gives you access to all mail in one place.

In my experience, Yahoo and Hotmail was horrible when it came to spam blocking, but it's been at least 5 years since I used either.

In my experience, Yahoo and Hotmail was horrible when it came to spam blocking, but it's been at least 5 years since I used either.

Yahoo spam folder catches almost everything perfectly from my experience.

affects less than .29% of the Google Mail userbase
They are trying to make the number seem small...But .29% of a fuckton of users is still a fuckton of users.

A fuckton of users instead got the chance to step outside their house for a day and get some sunshine while waiting to be able to login again.

POP your email or have a couple different emails as backups that everything gets automatically forwarded to.

I wonder who the genius was who did that and what situation that person is in right now

No problems here, I haven't used it in a while unless you count the automatic email refresh on my phone.

Cloud computing for the win! BWAAAHAHAHA!

Agreed. Quick turnaround and recent backups are great.

Oh, that was sarcasm? You expect people to maintain their own email servers? Also, how do you propose email without the cloud works?

Agreed. Quick turnaround and recent backups are great.

Oh, that was sarcasm? You expect people to maintain their own email servers? Also, how do you propose email without the cloud works?

I wanted to say that. Sure Google might screw up from time to time but they have backups galore. What nobody realizes is that businesses everywhere screw up servers and email systems a million billion times more, a good deal of them resulting in prolonged downtime that requires outside help to get things recovered and moving again, if at all.

Back