Glossy IPS

Lyric Suite

Limp Gawd
In lieu of buying an IPS monitor for myself, i convinced a friend of getting one as well, but he wants one with a glossy screen (despite my best efforts to convince him eitherwise, grrrr). Any good models to consider?

The only good glossy IPS that comes to mind is a Dell ST2220T, but its a touchscreen. It has pretty good reviews ie; http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_st2220t.htm The bad thing is that its currently priced at $329.99, though its often priced at $250 and sometimes even drops to $230. I was actually going to go with this monitor, but I still prefer 16:10 to 16:9. If you want your friend to get an IPS, let them know about this monitor. I'd personally have them wait for a deal. Keep in mind that with Windows 8 coming out sometime in the near future, a touchscreen almost seems like a no-brainer option.

He's a touch screen freak, owns several smart phones and pads, so that thing is pretty much perfect. Thanks a lot.

do touch screens not equal wiping your screens clean dozens of time a day? i need to see one in person--->
#educatetheyself

apple cinema display is awesome

before this though, i used nec 20wmgx2

In lieu of buying an IPS monitor for myself, i convinced a friend of getting one as well, but he wants one with a glossy screen (despite my best efforts to convince him eitherwise, grrrr). Any good models to consider?

Erm glossy gives much better image quality and AG coating makes the contrast look worse and overall image look duller... The ONLY advantage of AG coating is it stops glare... In terms of image quality it is significantly worse...

The ONLY advantage of AG coating is it stops glare...

Yes, but that's a very big advantage. There's a reason most professional screens use AG coating. I work on CAD for a living and i'd sooner gouge my eyes out then deal with a glossy screen.

Good picks guys :)

So what do you all think are some good monitors that have all of the following features.

23-24", IPS or PLS, Glossy, and VESA mount compatible.

Yes, but that's a very big advantage. There's a reason most professional screens use AG coating. I work on CAD for a living and i'd sooner gouge my eyes out then deal with a glossy screen.

And yet most people in graphic and web design are using Apple displays with glossy screens. I am in the same field and I would rather "gouge my eyes out" than deal with dull whites and grainy anti-glare. Semi-gloss seems to be the best of both worlds but there arn't any semi-gloss IPS displays that meet my requirements so, for the time being, glossy it is.

I think what it basically comes down to is your eyes adjust to the matte screen at close distance and that becomes normal. So when you step away that normal is no longer there as everything else at a distance is now abnormal.

Last edited:
I think matte displays look terrible. It's like if you took that thick translucent plastic stuff they use to cover beakers and vials in a science lab, and layed it over a display. On second thought, I think a more universal description is that it looks like a condom laid over the screen. :p

I like glossy the best. Not super duper glossy, but just glossy enough. Those with thick coatings look really terrible, like looking into a cheap acryllic aquarium. My friend had an old MSI laptop with that super thick coating.

Edit: made a silly rant about edge to edge glass monitors but I went to fry's today and checked them out and they looked awesome! You can tell the difference since the regular glossy coating ones have this slick shoe polish oily look and the all glass ones are cleaner and flatter looking. There was a whole wall of 30-40 monitors and the best one there in my eyes was the HP 27xi with the edge to edge glass. I dunno maybe people just see things very differently but the non-glossy screens (most of them) were absolutely terrible looking especially under the fluorescent lighting. Looking at a glossy screen was like a night and day difference to a matte one. I also saw thte lauded Asus mx279h. It looked so flat and dull and grainy since it was matte. The best ones there were the hp 27xi and the screen that came with the dell xps27 touchscreen. Matte and glossy are probably identical with the lights turned off, but with it on matte just looks so hideous. Kind of contradictory don't you think? I think it's only useful for places with windows, because they are too cheap to turn on the lights. The sunlight pouring in is strong and it hits at a horizontal angle instead of just being nice and even from above, which makes anything near them super glare-y. I also don't understand why people who do graphics intensive stuff even have windows or don't properly cover them up. The uneven lighting and any sort of glare, even matte defused glare, is gonna effect the evenness and uniformity of the image on the screen.

Last edited:
I have the Dell S2440L and I like it a lot.

It's a glass front so it's very glossy, reflections are significant though so I'm not sure that I would recommend it unless your friend has full control of light in the room where he uses it.

edit: AMVA panel - super contrast

Back