Glossy 120hz Monitor (Gamer)

Berman

n00b
Hello, sorry for opening another one but since i dont find the solution for my problem i guess i need some help.

i searched around for a glossy monitor at 120hz and i found some, the samsung that look very nice the problem is that i want to attach it to a Ergotron Wall arm and they cant be attached :(, so i searched for new ones and i ended up with VG236H, which i dont like much, i cant find other glossy 120hz.

so i would like to know if anyone here know any good monitor or tv at 120hz around 24", i dont need extra inputs and the budget is not a problem.

thank you very much.

Does it have to be 24inch? If budget isn't an option then you could try one of the Korean 100hz monitors that are been sold on 120hz.net. If you have an AMD card you will only reach 85hz, but if you have a nvidia card you should be able to get 100hz and 120hz if you have the Nvidia 680. I think they are VESA mountable. Oh yeah sorry, they are 27inch monitors.

I really don't know what other monitors are glossy and at 120hz thta have a VESA mount.

What's the issue with the VG236H or HE? It's one of the better 120hz native monitors out there IMO...

If you don't get a over clock catleap you are crazy. Best monitor for gaming by far.

If you don't get a over clock catleap you are crazy. Best monitor for gaming by far.

There's just one thing though, the maintenance cost of ensuring you get sufficient FPS with such a high resolution is too expensive for most people, I usually stick to $300 or so tops GPU upgrades every 1½ - 2 years. With such a monitor it would require minimum $500 GPU upgrades every year. But yea this is the only reason I personally wouldn't buy one of them.

I'd gladly take IPS 24" 120Hz @ 1080p though

That's true. I find in order to run one catleap properly you need two GPU's. Currently using two overclocked GTX 680's and they run the screen pretty nice in games. One GPU really struggles with 3.7 million pixels at 100 FPS+, so you have to turn settings down.

What's the issue with the VG236H or HE? It's one of the better 120hz native monitors out there IMO...

Thumbs up to the VG236H. It's glossy screen, 120Hz, and color reproduction, won me over. I finally made the switch from CRT to LCD when my FW-900 went tits up and this monitor is about as close as you can get to a CRT in LCD form.

you can overclock those things?
to lazy to read the 100 page post.

Only if you get a particular model. Most models moved to cheaper components which only support mild overclocking. To get 100+hz you'll need the one being sold at 120hz.net.

There's just one thing though, the maintenance cost of ensuring you get sufficient FPS with such a high resolution is too expensive for most people

I'm not familiar with Nvidia scaling options. Could I get the 2560x1440 120hz catleap (with no internal scaler) and use my Nvidia card to internally upscale 1080p to the higher resolution, if I wanted to maintain my current 1080p framerate?

Nvidia definitely has a GPU scaling option that should bypass the scaler in the monitor.

120hz.net is all sold out, seems much less of a great deal if you cant get a OC'able 2B board...

what's the next best monitor to get if 120hz.net is sold out? should i wait for a restock?

hello everyone thank you very much for trying to help me out and others, on this matter.

Well in the end i ended up without knowing what to do, i only have one nvidia gtx 580 still those catleap look very nice but seams they are all sold out to :( and i am from europe dont know if i could have one of those around here.

well about the VG236H Thinj and breadman said they are the best also,and my only choice i guess ??, what is the diference between VG236H and VG236HE, i will search more on that matter but atm i am out of time, what do you guys think?

Thanks a lot for all the help, Thumbs up.

The VH236HE does not come with the Nvidia 3D Vision Kit while the VG236H does, that is the only difference.

I just went to Fry's the other day in Fremont CA and they were displaying the VG236H w/o the 3D glasses but it wasn't connected to anything. I asked the sales rep to get it set up and the best he could do it connect it to a VGA cable on a Gateway PC.

Anyhow I wanted to see the difference between the Glare and Matte Finish on the ACER 3D monitor as well because they were both right next to each other and both were now connected. I was skeptical of the Glare on the VG236H, but honestly the colors really do shine. My room is almost fairly dark that it wouldn't be a problem.

If your looking for 24'' 120hz monitor I would recommend you go see one at a store and see if you can deal with the Glare. After spending a few minutes navigating minesweeper I can say with complete confidence that I have no idea how well games look on it lol. But its impressive just like that Samsung 27'' 3d monitor that costs $250 more.

I say go for the VG236H. Its clean, crisp and sharp from what I saw. If Walmart had it I would buy it from them instead though because I have credit with them.

Thank you very much boygorge, i am really thinking in getting one to, the reason why i wanted glossy is just because of that crisp and clean image :D.

i have the Alienware OptX AW2310 3D monitor, love it to!! when looking for any monitor do your research on total input lag. not just ms response. the lower the number the better. u might be surprised how some of the monitors you use stack up!! every walk around a corner, no ones there u get shot from right infront of you. welcome to input lag you have it he didnt!!

Alienware OptXTM AW2310 3D has 3ms total input lag via dvi duel link only!

also the Alienware OptXTM AW2310 3D had some problems they did come out with a firmware update fixed all the issues it was having. rock solid now!!

Hi there everyone :D

i purchased the Asus VG23he and i am very happy with it the image is so clean but this aint just because its an asus vg23he obviusly :D its just because i am used to
matte monitors :D and this is a glossy one.

so what can i say about glossy, well from the start i already knew what i was going for since my friend have one to, but like we all know it have its cons to.

i love the clean look of it, since this is a Tn panel the viewing angles suck :(, top of the monitor can get darker easly even when in line to the monitor it tends already
to get darker when the image is toward dark colors, with light colors its always cool.

and then you have the problem with Glare yeah :D

about the glare i need some help on that matter, i am not unhappy with my purchase i do love it but well we need to go around certain aspects on this glare thing if we
want to have it working properly and since i dont like to be in a room completly in Dark something about it most be done.

so i decided to post a shot of my environment so we can check all the ligh sources we have, so maybe someone could give me some help understanding how the glare shows up and
how to fight it.

I noticed that just by adding something behing me like a black blanket it helps, still i am posting here maybe someone could give
me better information on this matter and how to work it out.

like we can see in the image i have 3 light sources 1 door which let pass some light through the glass.

and another 2 windows the back one always closed and the right one that let pass some ligh, so my ligh come from the sides.

thanks.

Back