Glitchy disappearing external USB drives..

plac

Gawd
I thought it was just my crappy WD Mybook which was causing my external drive problems a while back.

So I bought a new external storage drive a few months ago. A nice Seagate 250gb, with the orange LED along the front. Well, after a few months I started getting "Delayed Write Errors" and my "D:" would disappear until I cycled the drives power.

Now, my D: drive won't even show up ever. I reboot, unplug power and USB, nothing will make this drive pop in. Why are there so many problems with external USB connectivity?

I run WinXP with SP2.. all patches available are installed..

Why are there so many problems with external USB connectivity?
There's not. I've been using externals in all flavors (USB, eSATA, IDE and SATA HDDs, 2.5" and 3.5") for years. My failure rate is the same as internal units. The little trick is to buy a quality internal drive, and install it in a quality external case. It's gonna cost ya a little more, but ya get what ya pay for. ;)

i thought i had stepped it up a notch this time..

its USB driver issues like always.. i have a exclamation point in one of my

USB Mass Storage Device sections. And reinstalling driver fails and does nothing.

its USB driver issues like always.. i have a exclamation point in one of my
Man, that sounds like somekinda USB port problem. Have you tried these bad drives on another machine?
Either that, or your luck runs about like mine. :eek:

Back