Gigaworks S750 sub dead, what do for 7.1 nearfield setup?

You could bypass the receiver and hook right into the monitor then either use a monitor audio output (I don't know if many have that or not) or use optical out from your sound card/motherboard to the receiver. After a quick glance it looks like you are going to spend $600+ for a receiver that has 21:9 pass-through.

Onkyo USA Corporation
Onkyo apparently is known for HDMI board failure. Denon had a screen failure problem in 2013 across the board. That leaves Pioneer and Yamaha.

You can see how I have it set up right now above. This issue didn't occur because the TV out was to the 3008WFP running at 1080P. It bugs me that there's no 21:9 for some reason. Come to think of it, I am not sure if any receiver supports our 3440x1440 or 3840x1600 (not that anyone will appreciate it at TV viewing distance). I find it kind of funny that this receiver supports 4K and would even upscale, but it can't handle PC 16:10 or the 21:9

I'll stick with my suggestion of a Denon 3806, and then routing the video cables separately. It's a great old receiver that you can find on Ebay at ~200$, with 8 (or 7?) extremely powerful, high fidelity amps and pre outs.

Reactions: Reimu
like this
Blargh. I think I am being retarded about this. There's no 21:9 display that hits 5110 x 2160 4K at all right now. This is something that should run out of the PC and not through some AV receiver at that.

Yeah to me you should definitely not rely on your receiver to handle HDMI. It just doesn't make sense. HDMI standards go flying out the window darn near constantly these days, so imo you should choose your receiver entirely based on sound quality and sound-related features, because its HDMI features will get outdated soon anyway. There's always optical out for hooking almost anything up to your receiver, which seems to be about the only constant... except in the case of Roku which decided to be a group of bumbling retards that took optical out of their box or constantly makes it a pain to work with. Hence there's no Roku in my house. They can go be retards off on their own.

That being said, Marrantz has a pretty good reputation and that does seem to be a sizable markdown on such an expensive receiver, if you're prepared to actually spend that much. I'm not. I'm perfectly satisfied with this secondhand one.

Yeah to me you should definitely not rely on your receiver to handle HDMI. It just doesn't make sense. HDMI standards go flying out the window darn near constantly these days, so imo you should choose your receiver entirely based on sound quality and sound-related features, because its HDMI features will get outdated soon anyway. There's always optical out for hooking almost anything up to your receiver, which seems to be about the only constant... except in the case of Roku which decided to be a group of bumbling retards that took optical out of their box or constantly makes it a pain to work with. Hence there's no Roku in my house. They can go be retards off on their own.

That being said, Marrantz has a pretty good reputation and that does seem to be a sizable markdown on such an expensive receiver, if you're prepared to actually spend that much. I'm not. I'm perfectly satisfied with this secondhand one.

This Sony receiver does do HDCP 2.2 and even this is just able to take a piss on the Xonar D2X (though a dedicated headphone DAC is still needed)
I've 'seen' great things about the Marantz. I need to hear it. It's just as you've said.
Hell, I'd rather do all of my music listening in Stereo and keeping the sound unadulterated, and most youtube cat videos aren't encoded in 5.1 even.

Update. I bucked up a little from $280 to $373 and went up to Denon's AVR-S720W. It's got a better setup program and better sound (with uglier GUI). It supports 2560x1080 21:9 when I tested it, although it's the sound that I care about more.

(edit: the headphone out's not hot garbage here!)

If you have a soldering iron, do what I did...replace the cheap capacitors in the subwoofers power-delivery with highgrade aluminium capacitors...

Reactions: Reimu
like this
If you have a soldering iron, do what I did...replace the cheap capacitors in the subwoofers power-delivery with highgrade aluminium capacitors...

I have been reading about it. The problems are multifaceted.
1. The glue used in S750 can become conductive and erode away at the PCB.
2. Caps across the board were cheap
3. The amp has inadequate ventilation inside that subwoofer

I think I will take that as a pet project one of these days (I've never held a soldering iron)

I have been reading about it. The problems are multifaceted.
1. The glue used in S750 can become conductive and erode away at the PCB.
2. Caps across the board were cheap
3. The amp has inadequate ventilation inside that subwoofer

I think I will take that as a pet project one of these days (I've never held a soldering iron)

1. Yup, that glue was bad...I cleaned it all of and used some acid free silicone instead.
2. I just had to replaced the cheap capacitors at the power delivery, all the others were fine.
3. I will deal with that if it becomes a problem with the new capacitors ;)

Update. I swapped the AVR-S920w with the higher end AVR-X2200W and the difference in ease of configuration becomes real evident. Dang.

(same price at $400 bucks at that. Thank god for returns)

Last edited:
Back