GIGABYTE Touch BIOS

HardOCP News

[H] News
Gigabyte is showing off its new patent pending Touch BIOS that will be used on all new GIGABYTE Z68 motherboards. The BIOS is customizable (icons can be rearranged, removed, etc.) and, If you have a touch screen monitor, you can ditch the mouse and keyboard and simply touch the screen to make changes. :cool:

Last edited:
That sounds sexy. Hopefully it doesn't introduce unforeseen headaches though.

You don't have to use it. This is a Windows application for BIOS configuration, your BIOS stays where it is. It's not even UEFI so far.

It's like BIOS for Babies.

No, seriously, who can make use of this?

Someone who has their monitor in hand-reach. A 22" monitor at hand-reach..

If this was on tablets.. it would still be useless, because tablets don't overclock.

And even if they DID, who cares about having touch interface in the BIOS?

This is so useless it has to be gimmick.

@Gigabyte: You don't have to make up for not having UEFI on P67 - JUST DO IT!

This is [H]ardly for the [H]ard People on here, but it is useful for people who don't have much computer experience. Would be pretty neat to be able to have someone use this who hasn't tinkered with their systems before and for you to be able to walk them through it.

So its a casual users feature, for something that casual users probably shouldn't be touching? Hmm..i'm sure theres a problem here yet can't pinpoint it. Maybe:

1. A mouse and keyboard is better, more accurate and precise.
2. Do people really spend that much time in the BIOS that it needs a "better" UI? Usually its switch on, OC, on, OC some more, then thats it until something gets added.
3. Touching monitors is a giant PITA and stupider than any other idea people have had. It's not a tablet or a phone, it's a monitor.

They always do this though, like the via iphone overclocking nonsense.

Gigabyte is showing off its new patent pending Touch BIOS that will be used on all new GIGABYTE Z68 motherboards. The BIOS is customizable (icons can be rearranged, removed, etc.) and, If you have a touch screen monitor, you can ditch the mouse and keyboard and simply touch the screen to make changes. :cool:

Steve!

Because you didn't actually checked the video you didn't even see this has nothing to do with a BIOS, it's just a Windows tool (like MSI's Control Center II) and you even have to reboot your system to have the settings take effect..

so you boot
into FREAKING WINDOWS
change settings
save
reboot
have the new settings in effect.

it's an EPIC fail of proportions I can not even begin to describe here, and you post it like it's Gigabyte's rescue of Z68. Actually.. their Z68 is mega-fail as you don't even have video output, thus no power saving through Virtu, means you are depending on their driver support, which doesn't even get close to sub-par.
All in all gigabyte's z68 is a fail, they're getting kicked by Asus and MSI on so many levels and even their software tool (which should've been available on P67/H67 already) is posted by you as the holy grail.

Every other motherboard company has this stuff for half a year already. it's just fail fail fail :/

I'm going back to my sandy bridge OC application that doesn't require you to reboot. thank you very much!

Steve!

Because you didn't actually checked the video you didn't even see this has nothing to do with a BIOS, it's just a Windows tool (like MSI's Control Center II) and you even have to reboot your system to have the settings take effect..

so you boot
into FREAKING WINDOWS
change settings
save
reboot
have the new settings in effect.

it's an EPIC fail of proportions I can not even begin to describe here, and you post it like it's Gigabyte's rescue of Z68. Actually.. their Z68 is mega-fail as you don't even have video output, thus no power saving through Virtu, means you are depending on their driver support, which doesn't even get close to sub-par.
All in all gigabyte's z68 is a fail, they're getting kicked by Asus and MSI on so many levels and even their software tool (which should've been available on P67/H67 already) is posted by you as the holy grail.

Every other motherboard company has this stuff for half a year already. it's just fail fail fail :/

I'm going back to my sandy bridge OC application that doesn't require you to reboot. thank you very much!

Gigabyte only managed to not fail on one thing - the P67A-UD7.

Now I've waiting for UEFI since January.

Then Z68 which is the shittiest chipset upgrade in history, even if it's not their fault and..

I'm going ASUS next time (if only they stop it with the blood red scheme!!!)

Can you provide retail pictures of the Z68 board, or you base your statements on some boards labeled as Z68 sold somewhere in Taiwan ? Could be a P67 relabeled as Z68 as well. So until the real boards without video outputs hit the shops (not in Taiwan), you should slow down.

I'm going ASUS next time (if only they stop it with the blood red scheme!!!)

Red scheme ? Oh, looking at UD7 you probably buy only top of the line products. Well yes, Asus is all red then. But under the top of the line, it's all blue, green, grey, brown... But then you have hard time, EVGA has red at top of the line as well. Oh wait, EVGA... They still don't have P67 boards. Close to Z68 launch. Now that is what i could (quote taken from neliz) call "EPIC fail of proportions i can not even begin to describe here" :).

@Cobalt: it is a windows application. He even says "you can use mouse and keyboard, but if you got touchscreen...".

Damn, I read the post title and was hoping "Touch BIOS" was some sort of marketing term for UEFI compatibility.

"Touch Bios: Hybrid EFI Technology"

what the hell is "hybrid EFI technology"? Also if it is "Touch Bios" then it should have almost nothing to do with EFI. The whole name for that application just confuses me >_>

Plus this thing is marketed toward people that SHOULD NOT be making changes to their BIOS/EFI settings to begin with

I helped a coworker with a Dell laptop and it had a Windows like BIOS screen, could even use the mouse. I had never seen one like that before. Was kinda cool cause it didn't look 8 bit like all the BIOS I have ever used. But it did confuse me at first.

"Touch Bios: Hybrid EFI Technology"

what the hell is "hybrid EFI technology"? Also if it is "Touch Bios" then it should have almost nothing to do with EFI. The whole name for that application just confuses me >_>

Plus this thing is marketed toward people that SHOULD NOT be making changes to their BIOS/EFI settings to begin with

:D

I agree 100%

I lost intrest when I saw Gigabyte!
They have the worst BIOS of all the major players!!!
And support is even worse...

I lost intrest when I saw Gigabyte!
They have the worst BIOS of all the major players!!!
And support is even worse...

Worst BIOS ? They are the only one from major players still having BIOS. Asus and MSI have UEFI, EVGA has nothing...

what the hell is "hybrid EFI technology"?

As far as I can see it is a bodge to allow the legacy award bios to boot to 3TB hdd (perhaps an EFI shell like some server boards have?), you will notice all the makers partnered with AMI have UEFI BIOS (not all of them use a graphical interface so it is not easy to tell but they are UEFI native).

I think Gigabyte paid the price some what by sticking with AWARD who clearly do not have a proper desktop UEFI solution right now and lost sales on P67/H67 as UEFI is an important spec 'check box'.

You don't really think Gigabyte stayed with a legacy BIOS becuase it was the most stable solution do you ;)

Hybrid EFI Technology combines the benefits of GIGABYTE’s mature BIOS platform including stability and compatibility with 3rd party products with 3TB+ HDD support from EFI technology

Thats a whole load of marketing spin right there :)

Back