Gigabyte support stinks

MOS8580

n00b
Got a motherboard that won't post. Worked fine for 8 months, hey, bad hardware can happen. Filled out the RMA process, shipped off my board (at my expense). They held on to it for a month and shipped it back.

Still broken. No signs of rework of any kind: flux residue, fingerprints, nothing. It's identical to the condition I sent it.

Oh, and, of course it's the "premium" Designaire-X99. Total bullshit.

Just a rant, hopefully this gets snagged by the search spiders and I can deter at least one person from giving them their hard earned money.

Did you check the serial number and see if it is the exact same board?

Did their support sticker say any update on it?

From personal experience I had a board returned to me that worked fine on their end. Turns out I had a bad CPU.

On a side-note with the part where you mention about shipping to them on your own expense. Just about almost every hardware company has the buyer ship back on their own expense. So... yea?

Did you check the serial number and see if it is the exact same board?
Identical.

Did their support sticker say any update on it?
No sticker, no note in the box saying what was done.

From personal experience I had a board returned to me that worked fine on their end. Turns out I had a bad CPU.
Picked up both a used motherboard (MSI SLI X99 Plus, not too shabby) and a used CPU (Xeon E5-2603 v3: shabby) to rule out CPU issues. The Gigabyte board didn't POST with the i7-6850 I have nor the Xeon. The MSI board booted fine with both (seller was kind enough to flash the latest BIOS, too). So I've got a spare X99 CPU and a functional computer, but I'm still pretty miffed.

Just about almost every hardware company has the buyer ship back on their own expense. So... yea?
100% correct. But, well, they kind of fix it first, don't they? :) That said, strapping it to the back of a Harley and driving a tour cross country would have been more expensive than shipping + insurance to wind up with a still non-functional board. But it would have been a whole lot more fun!

I havent been buying thier motherboards since their bait and switch tactics

For what it's worth, Gigabyte's X99 boards in general seem to be just horrific. They finally got the GA-X99-SLI mostly working with their last feeble attempt at a "beta" BIOS about 18 months after they released the board, but even then, not all the features work. You can only turn off the doofy back-side LEDs in the BIOS, and if you do, it has all sorts of boot loop/POST problems. This is all saying nothing of the atrocious UI the BIOS has, making it a pain in the ass to adjust. I can't even imagine trying to overclock with it.

I sent my X99-SLI back to them once, thinking it was defective, and just bought an MSI board in the mean-time. That MSI board is great. The Gigabyte one came back in the original box I'd sent it in, with no evidence at all they'd even opened it.

Nice to know...I have been a long time Gigabyte user since I had a terrible RMA issue with ASUS back in the late 90's. I have not had to use their support since. I am doing a budget Z77 build now for a 2600K I scored for a great price (which may not have been so great since the Z68XP-UDH4 motherboard it came with I can't get to boot). I wanted a Gigabyte board, but scored an Asrock Z77 Extreme4 which seems like a heck of a performer. The only drawback to it is they made it 1" short of a standard ATX mounting scheme so all the things (12V power, SATA, USB3.0 header, DIMMS) at the front of the board are unsupported below.

I to had my MB die and cpu(5820k). GB did send a replacement within 2 weeks. Intel also sent me one with 2 weeks as well.
I have had 0 trouble with my MSI x99 sli. I was pondering selling both the 5820k and 5960x and just going with a 7700k system....

Had similar experiences with Asus and EVGA a few years back. I decided to switch to MSI and I've been happy since.

What are you going to do about it? Go with a different manufacturer? They don't care.

What are you going to do about it? Go with a different manufacturer? They don't care.

That's basically all I can do. While I now wish my previous Gigabyte purchases were with someone else, I'll avoid them from now on. I see quite a few complaints and similar stories from other people, too, so if I had bothered to research ahead of time I might have been better informed. Collectively, I'm sure a bunch of people are going to avoid based on first-hand experiences and hopefully some based on third-hand reports.

Motherboards from "the big three" are generally pretty close in quality, as I now understand it, so when you buy one, the difference is the support after the sale. Dead hardware is unlikely but when it happens, I'd rather be a customer of someone who does care. I'd rather pay the Jefferson up-front than now have to eat a few Benjamins in a hard lesson.

But they do care, when you're fighting for market share, comments like OP's while seemingly small sour grapes type things, have a kind of weight that perpetuates for years.

I mean I hate working with Gigabyte boards, I love their materials process, I hate their BIOS, it's always buggy and shitty once you start pushing the fringe features - in my opinion. I've started getting cheap and just buying Asrock for whatever with the odd Asus thrown in for better stuff. Hell I've even had ECS support mod a BIOS for me on a five year old board, at least they answer their email.

Back