Gigabyte Offices Raided

erek

[H]F Junkie
Major Bust and Raid at Gigabyte's Offices !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is spectacular !!!

"Taiwan generally follows US guidance for export restrictions and embargoes to Iran, although it maintains active diplomatic relations. The Bureau of Foreign Trade has an extensive list of materials that are prohibited to be exported to Iran, although common Taiwanese exports such as motherboards and AIBs are not on that list (although the CPUs and GPUs themselves might be restricted by US officials). In 2017 Taiwan announced a total trade ban with North Korea.

Sources at Gigabyte say that the issue has been overblown by local media in Taiwan, and the problem with the ERP software and customs broker had been identified and solved last year. They expected that the issue would be dismissed without charges or a fine."

https://wccftech.com/gigabyte-offic...e-authorities-for-exporting-products-to-iran/

Every motherboard I've owned that was Gigabyte has died. They should raid them just for making crap motherboards.

Hmmm.. I've had good luck with Gigabyte.

Were you buying the bottom of the barrel boards? Pretty much every brand has cheapo boards that won't last.

Still have the GA-EP45-UD3P moptherboard that I bought new. Arguably one of the best LGA775 motherboards ever made.

Also have the GA-X58-UD5. This one never gave me a problem either.

Neither is currently being used but the EP45-UD3P definitely will be for an XP build.

I've had and seen boards die from several manufactures over the years. Gigabyte, ASUS, MSI, AsRock, and so on. There is no manufacturer that goes without the occasional board board. Shit happens, they cheap out, something randomly dies, anything can cause a motherboard to die. None of the big manufactures are always good or always bad.

Were you buying the bottom of the barrel boards? Pretty much every brand has cheapo boards that won't last.

Still have the GA-EP45-UD3P moptherboard that I bought new. Arguably one of the best LGA775 motherboards ever made.

Neither is currently being used but the EP45-UD3P definitely will be for an XP build.
I am using that board with a modded 771 Xeon. I am running Win10 on it as I already have a couple of decent XP machines.

Attachments

• HAL-Xeon-Specs-Copy2.jpg
    HAL-Xeon-Specs-Copy2.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 0
My Z87X-UD3H spontaneously up & died. IIRC I had a dual socket 940 die as well.....I still like their boards I just expect them to die.

AFAIK They make the only x570 (X570 UD, IIRC) board with 3 * x16 (x16/x4/x4 electrical) so I can drop my GPU in the x16 slot & my 10G NIC & a storage controller in the 2 * x4. Really want to get that board just for that feature.

My first Gigabyte motherboard was this badass FM2 based full ATX motherboard that had some great specs but then one day the USB ports died and would sometimes prevent the system from turning on. I have the motherboard laying around but I don't want to spend money to bring life back to a dual core 2.7Ghz A6 or A4 CPU. My main PC used to have a GA-970A-UD3P which died within the first month of use and before it died it ran slow with my FX8350. Luckily I bought it off Amazon and they replaced it for free and worked for 5 years until once day everything cooked. This motherboard was hot running from day 1 and I put a waterblock on the VRMs to keep it cool as well as a copper tower cooler for the northbridge chip because that got really hot. I thought everything was under control until my coolant in my custom loop got so hot that it started to boil out. That's why 2 years ago I upgraded to my Ryzen 7 1700 which I've since upgrade to a 2700. But the story wasn't over there, because I reset the CMOS and plopped it into my HTPC and that ran for nearly a year with power and heat issues until I decided to build my second Ryzen system and upgrade that PC. I had the motherboard sitting for a while until recently I tried to resurrect it again only to find that the Sata ports weren't detecting any drives and plugging in anything USB would freeze the system. Since then I bought a used MSI 970 board off Ebay and that's been working fine with the same FX8350 CPU. Also side note, the GA-970A-UD3P doesn't like to work with Linux and the USB 3.0 ports, though that's a design flaw not the motherboard breaking. No issue with the MSI or Asus boards with Linux, and yes I have two FX8350 systems because someone gave me their old FX8350 with a Asus motherboard that works perfectly fine. I have a lot of computers in my home.

If what Gigabyte says is true, I'm not sure this is really a huge deal or big news. In the article, they mention that Gigabyte claims less that $2500 worth of electronics were mistakenly shipped to their Iran office by one of their subsidiaries. None of the items were sold and were sent back to Taiwan when they realized the shipping error.

OMG, I love how these threads always turn into whose device made by manufacturer x always died and was complete shit, and how others' devices never died and were always brilliant.

Sample size of 1 is always a great indicator of manufacturer reliability, especially when someone's sour grapes are so old they are raisins.

If what Gigabyte says is true, I'm not sure this is really a huge deal or big news. In the article, they mention that Gigabyte claims less that $2500 worth of electronics were mistakenly shipped to their Iran office by one of their subsidiaries. None of the items were sold and were sent back to Taiwan when they realized the shipping error.
"Shipping error" can also mean they failed to properly obfuscate the contraband that one time.

intel flailing like a fish out of water has gotten boring for the tech media so this was their last big click bait for the week..

The only motherboard brand I had a major issue with was ABIT. Some of their boards had corrupt BIOSes or were DOA. That was in the mid to late 90s.

I don't miss those days trying to fix the problem and hours wasted. But you sometimes came away with a solution.

Ford vs Chevy

Fuck em both cause I own a Ram

I also Gigabyte and never had a problem other than this dog shit soldered on USB realtek audio crud on tr40x board.

OMG, I love how these threads always turn into whose device made by manufacturer x always died and was complete shit, and how others' devices never died and were always brilliant.

Sample size of 1 is always a great indicator of manufacturer reliability, especially when someone's sour grapes are so old they are raisins.

You see the same thing with cars right? Even a sample set of a dozen is still nothing when you look towards hundreds of thousands or more. And especially with motherboards, a poorly regulating power supply can tax a mb regulator which could fail on one but not the other. This isn't a sign of bad quality when the problem actually exists elsewhere. Just because something failed, doesn't mean it was the problem.

That said, I have used gigabyte on all my builds without needing a replacement, latest gaming pc's the wife and I built were with MSI, better deal at the time.

You see the same thing with cars right? Even a sample set of a dozen is still nothing when you look towards hundreds of thousands or more. And especially with motherboards, a poorly regulating power supply can tax a mb regulator which could fail on one but not the other. This isn't a sign of bad quality when the problem actually exists elsewhere. Just because something failed, doesn't mean it was the problem.

That said, I have used gigabyte on all my builds without needing a replacement, latest gaming pc's the wife and I built were with MSI, better deal at the time.

You see the same thing with everything. Personally I like to try to resolve the issues with the manufacturer. Now if the board died and I tried to do that under warranty and they ignored me...you bet your ass I would be saying they are a shit company. *cough* Dell *cough*

Can't speak to their recent quality but Gigabyte made some superb boards for 775 and X58. My GA-X58-UD5 still gets regular use and it's been going for over a decade.

You see the same thing with everything. Personally I like to try to resolve the issues with the manufacturer. Now if the board died and I tried to do that under warranty and they ignored me...you bet your ass I would be saying they are a shit company. *cough* Dell *cough*

Absolutely agree. How the company handles it is where the quality judgement is valid.

I updated BIOS from my Z97X Gaming 5.

Lost PCI-E 3.0 because of it. Gigabyte says bug doesn't exist, when it does.

Try resetting BIOS to defaults, save them, then go back in and set up your cpu OC, boot order, etc. Sometimes when there is a new bios, some settings get removed, renamed, or added. Loading defaults puts those settings that have invalid values where they should be.

The only motherboard brand I had a major issue with was ABIT. Some of their boards had corrupt BIOSes or were DOA. That was in the mid to late 90s.

I don't miss those days trying to fix the problem and hours wasted. But you sometimes came away with a solution.
ahh... (bad) memories... ABIT, Epox, and DFI were some of my more memorable boards for better or worse.
Never had issues with Gigabyte, but when GBs become synonymous of low measures of memory like KB or MB today, will they change their name?

Try resetting BIOS to defaults, save them, then go back in and set up your cpu OC, boot order, etc. Sometimes when there is a new bios, some settings get removed, renamed, or added. Loading defaults puts those settings that have invalid values where they should be.
Believe me Ive tried all possible BIOS setting combinations, it will have boot and performance issues until you go to 2.0 mode.

Believe me Ive tried all possible BIOS setting combinations, it will have boot and performance issues until you go to 2.0 mode.

Ahh, that sucks. Can you flash the bios back to the older version where pcie 3.0 worked? Most likely recent bios updates are just for spectre/meltdown fixes, microcode updates. If you run windows, those microcode updates are patched into the OS, not really needed in the firmware itself (nice to have there of course when they are available and working).

Ahh, that sucks. Can you flash the bios back to the older version where pcie 3.0 worked? Most likely recent bios updates are just for spectre/meltdown fixes, microcode updates. If you run windows, those microcode updates are patched into the OS, not really needed in the firmware itself (nice to have there of course when they are available and working).
Can't do that either, there's a small print saying " no going back to old versions after you update this". I found some beta bioses made for those meltdown fixes, no help.

Oh well, Q4 can't come soon enough, replace this haswell 4700 with a ryzen 4700. Not going to be a Gigabyte mobo this time though.

And this applies to almost any vendor, even when there's more evidence of actual problems or greatness. Just a thing.

Yeah it's basically anecdotal evidence: the thread. Kicked off by the guy who stuck with a bulldozer cpu.

Back