Gigabyte HD5850 OC

I have one. Great card. Quiet and much cooler than the stk hs/fan

Bufodr_T: I'm interested in this Gigabyte 5850 myself. Can you please tell me how long that card is? I own a Antec 300 case. I was hoping it would make it in there! There is nothing on Gigabyte's website as to how long that card is!

it will fit in an antec 300 thanks to the power connectors being on top of the card.

Thanks Bro! Looks like I'll order one up. What are those 2 92mm fans on the Gigabyte 5850? Thanks again for your insight!

I love the way this card and the similar MSI cards look. Totally industrial. No lame stickers with wizards or whatever.

The one I had arrive yesterday had the F3 bios in it, CCC was happy to let me overclock it thru to approx 1000 on the core, flashed it to F5 can only overclock with CCC up to 775.

Its a brilliant card tho, let me turn lots of settings way up in BFBC2 from the 4870 and was at 50C while gaming with a mild additional overclock.

Only just fits in a Gigabyte Aurora case tho.

I love my 5850, but if you plan on overclocking it past the 775 hump you might wanna pick up a reference card so you can up the voltage on it.

im not too fussed about overclocking too much really, just found it weird that with an older bios CCC let it clock higher. Theres a fair few reports of these gigabyte cards going past 900 on stock volts anyway.

Just thought I'd post my 2c for anyone thinking of buying one.

I have mine running at 925Mhz core and 1200Mhz memory. There's no way to overvolt this card sadly. It never gets above around 50-55 degrees under Bad Company 2 load and I think the card is very quiet although this is highly subjective.

I used Afterburner to get my profiles setup although I'm currently uninstalling everything including CCC and am just going to use ATI Tray tools as since the latest f5 bios things seem to have gone messy and the settings in 2d mode are way to high. I think a clean start is in order.

As for my highly subjective take on it's performance, I have a Phenom 550 X2 BE @ 3.7Ghz, 4GB DDR2 1066Mhz coupled with the card and I play Bad Company 2 on a full 32 man server at maximum settings and 4x AA with bloom enabled and the game never drops to levels I find frustrating. Usually sits around 45-60 and drops down to around 30 for moments when a whole lot of smoke and explosions occur on screen. I couldn't be happier. First time in my gaming life I've been able to play the newest games at maximum settings with smooth gameplay. It's also the most I've ever spent on a video card though *grin*.

Update: ATI Tray tools seems to bork any serious overclocking attempts so I'm back to CCC and Afterburner which in turn means I have to have my 2d settings way higher than if I just used CCC and had no overclocking. I wish CCC would allow way higher overclocking and I wouldn't need to use 3rd party software.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd post my 2c for anyone thinking of buying one.

I have mine running at 925Mhz core and 1200Mhz memory. There's no way to overvolt this card sadly. It never gets above around 50-55 degrees under Bad Company 2 load and I think the card is very quiet although this is highly subjective.

I used Afterburner to get my profiles setup although I'm currently uninstalling everything including CCC and am just going to use ATI Tray tools as since the latest f5 bios things seem to have gone messy and the settings in 2d mode are way to high. I think a clean start is in order.
Update: ATI Tray tools seems to bork any serious overclocking attempts so I'm back to CCC and Afterburner which in turn means I have to have my 2d settings way higher than if I just used CCC and had no overclocking. I wish CCC would allow way higher overclocking and I wouldn't need to use 3rd party software.

I found that if you set the default clocks (725/1000 for my card) as the 2D profile in Afterburner then it will trick the card into downclocking properly eg 400/1000 for my dual monitor setup.....

I found that if you set the default clocks (725/1000 for my card) as the 2D profile in Afterburner then it will trick the card into downclocking properly eg 400/1000 for my dual monitor setup.....

You're a champ! That has done the trick nicely. Back down to 157/300 now.

Back