Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2 mATX worth considering?

AiMnDtel

Limp Gawd
I am looking at the parts listed below as a basis for a new value system.

Gigabyte GA-G31MX-S2 mATX motherboard
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2180
2Gb OCZ PC2 6400 Part # OCZ2VU8002GK

Would this combo be worth spending $300.00 CDN on?
Any input welcome.

Not a bad little board, I was pleasantly surprised to see the the important OCing settings available in the bios. With the nice enthusiast boards running $120+ US$ this seems a decent budget buy and still have decent OCing features. I have not seen any reports on how well it performs but it can only be so bad. The E2180 with a 10x mulitplier should let you get to decent OCing speeds with fairly low FSB MHz settings. You should be able to run at 2.6GHz -2.8GHz easy on the stock cooler if your case airflow is good. The memory is rated 5 5 5 15, I would want to check if I could get some 4 4 4 12 for maybe just a couple bucks more but you would probally never be able to tell the difference. If it is a bundle deal, don't sweat it. Its PC6400 rated for 800MHz memory speed (400 FSB with a 1:1 ratio) so it will be good up to 10x 400 = 4GHz so it will not hold back any OCing you want to do. 2.1V you will have to set that in the bios but there are memory voltage settings on this board, so OK there.

Just from a quick look, it appears to be a nice bang for the buck system and even a decent gamer with the right video card installed.

If you have not messed with the newer Intel fan/heatsink and intend to use it, install it BEFORE you put the board in the case. It requries a LOT of pressure to "click" in the retention pins. Lay the board on a folded towel on a table and check the instructions but basiclly line the pins up, and press the pin like hell till you hear one click and then go in an X pattern. Flip the board over when done all 4 and make sure they are all seated properly. A close look will be obvious if all are ok or not. Then even if all looks good, flip it back, lay it down, and do it again. The arrows on the top of the pin are showing how to turn them to REMOVE the heatsink, dont turn them, the pins should be set in the "insert" postion from the factory and ready to be installed. No turning required.

Thanks for your comments and observations.
This combo is something I put together.
It has some good performance potential as you state, I might switch the ram though.
Also, realized I need a new power supply, probably be a Corsair CMPSU-450VX.
Will be reusing some parts, and upgrading those if necessary in the future.

Not a bad mobo at all, IMO!
That's the reason why i will test this low coast mb to see how it behaves compared to "its big brother" the g33...
Knowing gigabyte, i'm sure it will not disappoint us!

Nice motherboard. Looking for a cheap micro motherboard to overclock a e4400 cpu.
Where you picking it up in canada?
any other micro cases will do a great job in overclocking? nothing over 120 dollers canadian

mobo received!
Upcoming test..
G7127copier-1.jpg

Damn that looks sexy!
You made me put this on my list to buy. Found it for 100 cdn at local computer store. But then i saw this MSI g33m motherboard which is 10 dollers more but at least it has 4 dimm slots and not just 2. Plus is a g33 chipset and says it supports the new 45mn cpus when they come out.
Still undicided if i wanna take intel route anyway since with amd you can save almost 100 dollers and get the same clock sped as going intel but you cant overclock like the intel can.

Back