Gigabyte DS3R PC Speaker/BIOS?

vizx

Weaksauce
I just finished a new build (btw, thanks to all of you for helping me select parts)...maybe someone could help me out with this issue...

I got everything up and running ( using the DS3R mobo, 4 gigs Corsair XMS2 ddr2 800 memory, put in the HD and vid card and DVD burner ) and I WAS getting the single short beep from the PC Speaker (provided with mobo), which indicates a successful boot...all fans spin, etc...

Installed Vista Ultimate 64-bit successfully...Now, when I boot up, everything still works fine, and Windows loads, and everything appears to be in working order, but I don't hear the beep anymore...

Like I said, everything still appears to be working, but is it possible that the "beep" was somehow deactivated? Would the Vista install somehow do that?

Anyone know if there's an option in the DS3R BIOS to disable the diagnostic beep? I don't see it in the manual or by searching through the BIOS itself...

I did tidy up some wires after the OS install, but I checked the PC speaker and it seems to still be correctly attached to the 4 pins on the mobo...

I have to get this box out to the dude I built it for, and I'd like the diagnostic beep to be there when I do...and yes, I am relatively new to building systems for people other than myself...

thanks guys...any help is appreciated..

I thought I had a problem with mine, but it turns out that mine will only POST beep from a cold boot; if I do a restart, no POST beep. I've tried it many times, and this is the way mine works.

Very strange, first a disclaimer, I dont do vista. but it should not matter see below.

Installing Vista should have had absolutley no effect on the POST beep. The Power On Self Test occurs long before any OS code is loaded.

Off hand I know of no feature in the bios specifically to disable the beep. However there is a Full Screen LOGO Show that might be worth trying both ways to see if it matters.

It MUST be something you changed in the bios, or you knocked the speaker wires loose. The OS is not even alive at the end of POST when the beep occurs.

It could also be that the speaker had only a couple of beeps in it and has failed. Out of a couple of hundered pcs built I have never had that happen but if you have a spare speaker/buzzer laying around I would be sure to test.

update: thanks BillParrish, it does indeed seem that the PC Speaker itself was the issue, but the bigger issue is that I was rushing to get the thing done and my brain was just fried...

initially i could not find the PC Speaker that was supplied with the mobo, so I pulled the speaker from my old build to test the system...long story short, i ended up detaching the "old" speaker and reattaching it later on, thinking it was the new speaker (which i eventually located and stored in the same place)...

when i switched speakers i got a consistent POST beep; when I tested the "old" speaker i found it did not work...it should have occurred to me (eventually) to test another speaker, but it didn't until you mentioned it...

i just never came across a faulty PC Speaker before, but I should have realized it was a possibility...

again, thanks for the help!

Back