Gigabyte 965P-DS3 rev 3.3 - suggest RAM for O/C?

OldM3ta

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys! Just wondering if I can get some recommends for some RAM that can bring my E6400 near 3.0 GHz on air using my 965P-DS3. It has a 7x multiplier. I would like to have 4GB in a dual channel 2 x 2GB package without breaking the bank. I expect to pay around $180 or less. I would like to buy one stick at a time so I can ease into the cost since I'll also be getting a 8800GT.

Thanks!

Cant say as I havent tried it, but some advice. Make damn sure you find someone with your exact board and version running whatever you buy with no issues. The version 3's had the traces to the memory slots redone to help running large memory setups so you should be ok but the boards are very twitchy.

I definitely feel you, Bill. I had some good D9 chips before but they would overclock for crap. I had 4 x 1GB corsair xms2 8500.

So, please... if you are reading this and have a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 rev 3.3, and have O/C'd it decently with a (or some) decently price 2GB stick(s), RESPOND. :)

Share the [H] love.

Thanks for your post! I appreciate the suggestion and the link!

If anyone else has any other recommends, please post a reply..

The patriot sticks in my sig work pretty well. But as someone above me said, the memory overclocking on this board is very finickly. I can't get it to post above 835 or so. I can boot into windows with my q6600 at 3.6 but fail benchies. It seems if I don't run the memory exactly at 800mhz then it throws errors all over the place.

I have the same board and cpu as you. I run 4x1GB sticks of http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820231098
If I was buying ram today I would go with, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

I have no problem hitting 3.0GHz with a bump in voltage to 1.4v. I opted to drop to 2.8GHz and default voltage to conserve energy. But I had my setup at 3.0GHz Orthos stable for 4 hours and ran it there for a few months before I backed it down.

P.S. Your e6400 has a 8X multiplier, but you can drop it down to as low as 6X.

Sticks seem good.... but they are out of stock. Their suggested big brother sticks also have complaints of a low o/c spread.... Anyone else have any other suggestions from personal experiences with the GA-965P-DS3 ?

Im running 2GB of Patriot 667 @ 840 (e6300 @ 2.9GHz) currently on my rev. 1, not bad for $35 after MIR (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220095)

I've had them as high as 944. Needless to say I suggest going with Patriot, im super impressed with them and will most likely be sticking with Patriot for my next build.

edit: just read that you wanted 2x2GB, these are 2x1GB..oops.. anyway, thats my 2 cents

Sticks seem good.... but they are out of stock. Their suggested big brother sticks also have complaints of a low o/c spread.... Anyone else have any other suggestions from personal experiences with the GA-965P-DS3 ?

Not sure I understand "complaints of a low o/c spread"? Your original post said you want to oc to 3.0GHz? 8x375MHz = 3.0GHz, there is no need to oc the ram at all to hit 3.0GHz. Also that ram has a approval rating of 4 stars or better of 90%.

Now if you want to oc that e6400 to beyond 3.2GHz then yes I would look at some faster ram. But for 3.0GHz that ram is more then enough.

Back