Gigabit! The fastest speed on earth!

djkilla

Weaksauce
I've got a quick question concerning gigabit. I have cat5 (gigabit) cabling going from the tap outside of my house to the modem in the house. My ethernet port is gigabit on my motherboard but my router (old Linksys WRT54G Ver.4) is only 10/100. If I get a gigabit router like the D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N Gigabit router, would I see a difference in speed on the internet when surfing or downloading to my SSD drive? I've got Bright House Roadrunner 20mbps connection.

No you won't see any difference on your online activity. You would only see difference within your network if you were transferring large files from one computer to another. Given that both computers has a gig connection.

No. Since your internet provider does 20mbps connection, you won't take advantage of the Gigabit speed of 1,000mbps. It's obvious right there 20mbps. Your network card and router supports up to 100mbps. 20mbps is not even close to 100bps. The 10/100 router will be adequate and you won't see a difference when getting a gigabit router. However, say you have a small network in your home and you are sharing files between 2 or more computers on a gigabit network, then you would see a difference vs a 100mbps network. If you're to download a 1GB file from another computer on your network, the gigabit connection will be faster than the 100mbps network.

instead of replacing the router just buy a gigabit switch and plug the computers into that and then the router into the switch, if you are using more than 1 computer with gigabit nics on each.

instead of replacing the router just buy a gigabit switch and plug the computers into that and then the router into the switch, if you are using more than 1 computer with gigabit nics on each.

Best solution posted

[/thread]

Technically cat 5 and gig don't belong in the same sentence let alone to be used together. Get some Cat 6. See if that helps

If you want to get Technical, the original standard for Gigabit is Cat5. 90% of the time you won't see a difference between Cat5 and Cat6 and 99% of the time there will be no difference between Cat5e and Cat6.

Cat6 is overkill for a home wiring job unless their are specific concerns that only Cat6 would address.

If you want to get Technical, the original standard for Gigabit is Cat5. 90% of the time you won't see a difference between Cat5 and Cat6 and 99% of the time there will be no difference between Cat5e and Cat6.

Cat6 is overkill for a home wiring job unless their are specific concerns that only Cat6 would address.
If you want to get technical, the original standard for gigabit was only over fiber until its ratification in 1999 where cat5 was added to the new standard. I also disagree with your estimates of differences.. crosstalk makes world of difference when you start pushing large amounts of traffc.

Is is a good idea to run gigabit with cat5, no.. too much cross-talk
is it a good idea to run gigabit with cat5e, yes with extremely proper crimps and keeping twists in check.
Is it a good idea to run gigabit with ca6, very much so.. and its pertty cheap now too.

btw. OP... learn about bottlenecks :eek:

If you want to get technical, the original standard for gigabit was only over fiber until its ratification in 1999 where cat5 was added to the new standard.

Is is a good idea to run gigabit with cat5, no.. too much cross-talk
is it a good idea to run gigabit with cat5e, yes with extremely proper crimps and keeping twists in check.
Is it a good idea to run gigabit with ca6, very much so.. and its pertty cheap now too.

btw. OP... learn about bottlenecks :eek:

To get extra super serial technical..... err I got nothing. :p Ya, Ya I should have said the original Copper standard.

I don't even thing you can find Cat5 cable anymore. They basically give away Cat5e as is.

I just work at a place where a bunch of our 10/100 runs over Cat3 and a lot of our Gigabit runs over old Cat5. We replaced some of that with Cat6 and it made 0 difference. What does make the difference is the NICs and the switches. But probably the biggest problem is only having 20mb internet. :p

Back