Ghostwire: Tokyo

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Shinji Mikami is back with his first game since 2014's The Evil Within...Mikami took the stage at Bethesda's conference today to announce Ghostwire Tokyo, an "action-adventure game in which you'll fight enemies in a city of supernatural evil."...

When I see games from Japan, it always makes me wonder what is going on in the Japanese brain - considering how absolutely bonkers and weird all their games are.

Shinji Mikami is back with his first game since 2014's The Evil Within...Mikami took the stage at Bethesda's conference today to announce Ghostwire Tokyo, an "action-adventure game in which you'll fight enemies in a city of supernatural evil."...

I like the soup part

I like the soup part.

Japanese developers definitely seem more creative...
Indeed, best trailer/teaser for a game I have seen in a long time. Looked a bit resident evil at one point but very well done CGI for a game.. lot of effort went into it.
Keen to see actual gameplay if that's the standard they are setting.

I think it's not only that Japanese developers are more creative, it's that they are given the freedom to make the kind of game they want to make without any publisher interference...there's no mandate to make it more accessible to a wider audience...Nier: Automata, From Software games, Nioh etc all are great examples

Reactions: N4CR
like this
You also forgot they aren't connected to US politics, and the woke virtue signalling nonsense.

I think it's not only that Japanese developers are more creative, it's that they are given the freedom to make the kind of game they want to make without any publisher interference...there's no mandate to make it more accessible to a wider audience...Nier: Automata, From Software games, Nioh etc all are great examples

Welp, so much for that.

For those not in the loop Creative Director Ikumi Nakamura left Tango Gameworks shortly after the game she described as her passion project was memorably revealed at Bethesda's E3 presentation last year. Publicly the split was amicable, but there were reports of there being a rift between her and the development team, along with some meddling from Bethesda. The gameplay shown yesterday does not match that initial reveal in anyway.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-09-05-queen-of-e3-2019-ikumi-nakamura-leaves-ghostwire-tokyo

The original video has nothing to do with gameplay as it's a story/concept trailer. We don't know what the game looked like internally at the time that trailer was released compared to this gameplay reveal so it's completely moot.

We don't know anything about her, the team, Bethesda or how any of them work together. "Meddling" could mean Bethesda rejected unique gameplay ideas for watered down, less risky options or it could mean they stepped in to settle a dispute between her and the team with an outcome that she didn't care for. I suspect the game as she wanted it probably isn't all that different from what is shown.

A lot of actors, musicians, artists are notoriously difficult to work with. A lot of publishers are, too. But these stories come out and there's a rush to paint whomever as victims and villains. I'd be interested to hear more about it but it changes nothing regarding my thoughts on the game.

Yep- Someday I'd like to hear the story, but as far as this thread is concerned all I want is a good game.

GT.jpg

release date: March 25 2022...this looks better than I thought...great setting and atmosphere...has a bit of that Kojima feel to it...graphics look really dated though...

Ghostwire: Tokyo- Official Gameplay Deep Dive

Ghostwire: Tokyo- Official Studio Spotlight

Last edited:
graphics look very dated to me...
Looks like typical Tango Gameworks/PlatinumGames, to me. The lighting seems to be the worst part, though. The city appears to be enormous, but the seemingly outdated lighting techniques make it look flat. The Evil Within from 8 years ago has better lighting than this.

Last edited:
I missed the trailer when it arrived in 2019. The 2019 trailer looked amazing.

The recent gameplay trailer looks not nearly as good in comparison.

My big criticism of what we're shown so far is basically summarized in one word: scale. It's cool to want to show real places, but the real Shibuya crossing as an example is massive. The scale in this game is ultra shrunk down. It's like the difference between seeing the Eiffel tower in France, and the fake one in Las Vegas. It also leads to things like the dimensions and widths of streets feeling oddly proportioned.
This is basically the same criticism I had with DX:HR (especially) and also DX:MD. However, both of those games benefited from their fictional setting. This game is showing real locations, and as a result feels even more fake.

All of that said - I'd probably be happy with a walking simulator of Tokyo (if it was accurate). There's a lot of nooks and crannies to see there and I'm still some-what hoping at some point to move there (or Yokohama). In terms of this game, it still looks interesting and like something I would play. If it comes on a platform I can play it on, I probably will.

EDIT: Also I'll note that I like the art and the art direction. That's more or less a given since it's all made by Japanese artists. It's definitely fun to see Japanese style monsters in a game.
EDIT 2: Whaaaaat. Didn't know that Shinji Mikami was on this! I should've known. Can't keep a good dev down.

Last edited:
Whaaaaat. Didn't know that Shinji Mikami was on this! I should've known. Can't keep a good dev down.

Speaking to VG247 as part of the media promotion for Ghostwire: Tokyo (which he's executive producing), Shinji Mikami hinted that he wants to personally direct one last game before retiring...there's no telling when that will happen, though...in the same interview, Mikami-san also said that his beloved survival horror genre is not at its peak, suggesting he might want to wait a bit for this last production...

https://www.vg247.com/tokyo-ghostwire-shinji-mikami-tango-gameworks-profile

Speaking to VG247 as part of the media promotion for Ghostwire: Tokyo (which he's executive producing), Shinji Mikami hinted that he wants to personally direct one last game before retiring...there's no telling when that will happen, though...in the same interview, Mikami-san also said that his beloved survival horror genre is not at its peak, suggesting he might want to wait a bit for this last production...

https://www.vg247.com/tokyo-ghostwire-shinji-mikami-tango-gameworks-profile
Ehhh, this is what they all say. I wouldn't even bother to think about it until there is actually a retirement announcement. "Just after this one" or "after this set of conditions" honestly doesn't mean much.
I've been watching the careers of people like Miyamoto, Uematsu, and Kojima for decades. These guys can't quit. It's like the hardest thing ever for them to do. Whatever the combination of being a workaholic or that passionate or any other flavor there-in, it doesn't really matter.
And even if true, it's something I can't control, do anything about, or predict. So it falls into a no-mans-land category of "caring" for me. Where-in even if you do care, it's incredibly useless and doesn't matter.

I think the more important discussion is what the Microsoft acquisition of Zenimax/Bethesda means for Tango who primarily (or basically exclusively) produces for Sony (and PC some-what) and what that means for their future titles (if anything).

There is a free visual novel taking place before the events of the game.

Hope they patch it- ultrawide monitors seem to break it. I can't even start, the menu doesn't display.

Ghostwire: Tokyo PC Impressions– DLSS, FSR, and Ray Tracing Support Confirmed

There's a decent amount of graphics settings, such as the ability to tweak the ray tracing culling distance and the quality of shadow maps, texture streaming, subsurface scattering, and global illumination...you can also turn off the motion blur, which I generally recommend, and thankfully Ghostwire: Tokyo supports both uncapped frame rate and exclusive fullscreen mode..the PC version also fully supports the DualSense controller's unique features

visually, Ghostwire: Tokyo can look great at times, but I do have one major gripe and one minor gripe...the minor one is that there is no setting to remove chromatic aberration, though this might be fixed via modding after launch on PC...the major one is that the game's rain effect looks quite bad, to the point where I often wished to be able to turn it off somehow...unfortunately, it rains a lot, which would do wonders for the ambiance if not for this issue...

https://wccftech.com/ghostwire-tokyo-pc-impressions-dlss-fsr-and-ray-tracing-support-confirmed/

Hopefully it gets smoothed out on the PC eventually. I don't preorder anymore and am very willing to wait and see the reviews but I'm also still interested in this.

Back