Ghostbusters Official Trailer

It will be ok to rent or better yet watch on Amazon Prime for free.

Looks like the whole movie is trying too hard.

Another profanity throwing annoying woman whos only form of comedy involves slapstick and self deprecating fat jokes.
It's funny how, out of all the things to complain about in the business of Hollywood, the token fat comedic relief is still something that is accepted and embraced.

First off no way in hell has it been 30 years since the original, I don't know where these people get off trying to give decent Americans heart attacks. Second, it looks pretty funny. I am glad they decided to change things up a bit with the cast, although hopefully some of the original cast will make an appearance, because it hasn't been that long since the original. I can't wait until I can rent it or buy the blu-ray, theaters are just too loud and full of noisy kids nowadays.

I can't stand Melissa McCarthy...

This x100. I CANNOT STAND Melissa McCarthy and I won't watch anything she is in on purpose. I'm not really into the idea of an all female ghostbuster team, but if it had been like Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Ellie Kemper, Jane Krakowski, etc, I could get behind it. There are lots of funny chicks out there. McCarthy is not one of them in my book.

Wow that looks dreadful. The first film was bad but it worked because of some very talented people. This doesn't even have that.
Whoever was in charge of the special effects needs to be beaten then fired for that disaster.

First off no way in hell has it been 30 years since the original, I don't know where these people get off trying to give decent Americans heart attacks. Second, it looks pretty funny. I am glad they decided to change things up a bit with the cast, although hopefully some of the original cast will make an appearance, because it hasn't been that long since the original. I can't wait until I can rent it or buy the blu-ray, theaters are just too loud and full of noisy kids nowadays.
Original came out in 84...

You're right. It's been 32 years.:p

Ballsy move to do an all-female Ghostbusters team (intentional irony). They just waited too long (like Star Wars) to realistically use the original cast (those who still live even). The picture on that image makes it look like the movie will completely suck, but the actual video was pretty funny. I'll go see it.

I MIGHT watch it on Netflix.... looks pretty boring. I have no problems with women in movies, but doing an all female cast on this one was a poor choice.

Not funny one bit. The graphics are nice, but the movie is suppose to be funny. Won't waste a dime on this one.

I might be totally off base saying this, but I can't help but feel it would've taken a lot of convincing of some Hollywood exec to approve an all female cast due to potential toy sale loss. It seemed to me when I was a youngster there was a huge market for Ghostbusters toys (I had a good amount of them) and I don't know how marketable female action figures would be for boys. Maybe there's a huge market for girl action figures now that I don't know about.

And what's with all the McCarthy hate? She's got a cute face and I know at least half of you guys here would hit that. As for her humor, I think she's pretty funny. She's probably been a bit typecast in her roles and is a bit overdone, but with the right script she'll be fine. I'd still prefer to see her in a movie than that damned Adam Sandler.

If it bombs, it's because all you pirates downloaded it for free.

Like most reboots, I think I will have to go into this with zero comparisons to the original. It might be ok, but it will never get close to the original.

I like Melissa McCarthy. :/

I didn't think much of the movie even before the trailer and now I think even less of it.

The original movie worked because the story and the characters were made out to be real and serious but with comedic aspects to some of the characters and the situations. Comedic parts such as Venkman getting slimed fit into the movie naturally and that's what made it funny. Except for Venkman the characters were not trying to be comedians filling serious roles and in my opinion Venkman was the weakest character of the movie.

For proof that the formula worked is to do a comparison between 1 and 2. Ghostbusters 2 was a rather sad movie because they changed the formula. They turned many of the characters into comedians and make a joke of the movie compared to the first one. You simply can't take the movie seriously like you could with the original. What we're seeing with this reboot is the exact same thing except worse. I didn't see a single part of the trailer which had anything to do with taking the situation they were in seriously. The jokes were forced and there were flat out too many of them. There was nothing serious whatsoever in the trailer. Hell, they stole the library scene, a serious scene from the first movie with a comedic aspect at the end of the scene and turned it into a complete joke in this movie.

In other words, this movie is the complete opposite of what the original one was. If you want a closer comparison you'd need to compare this one with Ghostbusters 2 and even then Ghostbusters 2 didn't go anywhere near as far from the first movie as this one seems to do.

I have a bad feeling about this...I don't mind Jenny M so much, but I am asking WHY? Ghostbusters should have stopped after the first one. GB2 was not that great. A reboot? The original cast (realize at least one is dead) made the movie. This cast - ugh.

Looking forward to torrenting this champion of social justice hackjob of a movie. Everything in that preview increased my desire to avoid at all costs. Sadly, my wife will probably want to see it because she likes Melissa McCarthy. The only reason I was able to get through The Heat was I like Sandra Bullock.

Well there's two reasons to watch a reboot.

1) It looks better. Which this one doesn't. The art direction is shit for this movie. Everything looks half-assed, and not in that cobbled together, made it myself way. And the ghosts look boring and cookie cutter lazy.

2) It improves on somthing with the story telling. About the only thing one could argue this one does better is that it has more physical comedy. But I didn't sit around with the original saying to myself... yeah, I wish it had more physical comedy.

The original ghostbusters had a spark to it even the original cast and writers couldn't recapture for the sequel, I don't think this reboot is going to do it. It might be better than ghostbusters 2 though.

I didn't think much of the movie even before the trailer and now I think even less of it.

The original movie worked because the story and the characters were made out to be real and serious but with comedic aspects to some of the characters and the situations. Comedic parts such as Venkman getting slimed fit into the movie naturally and that's what made it funny. Except for Venkman the characters were not trying to be comedians filling serious roles and in my opinion Venkman was the weakest character of the movie.

For proof that the formula worked is to do a comparison between 1 and 2. Ghostbusters 2 was a rather sad movie because they changed the formula. They turned many of the characters into comedians and make a joke of the movie compared to the first one. You simply can't take the movie seriously like you could with the original. What we're seeing with this reboot is the exact same thing except worse. I didn't see a single part of the trailer which had anything to do with taking the situation they were in seriously. The jokes were forced and there were flat out too many of them. There was nothing serious whatsoever in the trailer. Hell, they stole the library scene, a serious scene from the first movie with a comedic aspect at the end of the scene and turned it into a complete joke in this movie.

In other words, this movie is the complete opposite of what the original one was. If you want a closer comparison you'd need to compare this one with Ghostbusters 2 and even then Ghostbusters 2 didn't go anywhere near as far from the first movie as this one seems to do.
You articulated that very well, and mirrored my feelings about this trailer exactly. None of the characters felt genuine. The original worked because it was believable.

I don't think the reboot is a good idea. Having at least part of the original cast pass the torch might been better.

I don't mind the cast, and I kind of like Melissa McCarthy, but I don't think its going to be any good.

I envision the last scene having Kate McKinnon delivering the Proton Pack to Bill Murray a la Force Awakens :D:D

I know it's not the original film, but I kinda dug the trailer...I went into it with no expectations, and what I saw looks like it should be a fun romp. The trailer was colorful and energetic, and I smiled seeing the new takes on the original props and visuals. I'll give it a fair shake when it comes out.

To the people who are expecting doom and gloom, I think you should all still give it a chance, maybe not in theaters, but definitely on your streaming service of choice.

RIP Harold Ramis though...he made it cool to be a nerd...T_T

And what's with all the McCarthy hate? She's got a cute face and I know at least half of you guys here would hit that. As for her humor, I think she's pretty funny. She's probably been a bit typecast in her roles and is a bit overdone, but with the right script she'll be fine. I'd still prefer to see her in a movie than that damned Adam Sandler.

Dunno which half you're talking about (or what part of the country), but not here in NYC (or most major cities in the world). Hot chicks are a dime a dozen around these parts (lots of eager actress/model/college/early career chicks from all over). Humor-wise? She's ok at best. TBH, an all-female Ghostbusters move is simply for "girl representation" reasons and has little to do with a good comedy script. Maybe the bean counters in Hollywood figured that with the budget available, an all-male cast (with star power) would cost too much.

As for the trailer itself? Far too self-consciously comedic. SmokeRngs had the definitive take -- the original worked because you had regular, stereotypical individuals in utterly ridiculous situations. When the characters in this remake are themselves ridiculous (and the background/equipment in the trailer looks like it was designed by a retro-inspired hipster, rather than practical gear), you have self-consciously ridiculous people in ridiculous situations -- not so funny. If the female "vote" doesn't get this movie through, it will bomb. And quite possibly, bomb HARD.

Last edited:
I'll probably go see it, now that this trailer has shed some light about its context. At least I'll get a huge bucket of extra buttery popcorn and a tankard of Mellow Yellow Zero regardless how the movie turn out...it's a win for me either way. :)

I'm mildly amused: I'll watch MovieBob's review before I see it.

That guy's usually on-point.

I think I've seen this already, were't most of the characters in Free Willy? Just sayin............

Let's see...

Racist caricature token black woman.
Funny because fat.
Everyone is a comedian.

Ghostbusters was funny because for the most part the characters took everything within the universe seriously. Yes, Venkman was the obviously comical character thrown into the mix, but that's just it... it was a "mix". Winston wasn't a scientist, but he wasn't doing some shuck and jive routine either. That character was simply the "relatable" one, and the fact that Ernie Hudson is black wasn't even a factor in how the character responded to anything at all. If they were to replace this actress with Tyler Perry they could re-title it Madea's Halloween Adventure and it wouldn't make a difference. I don't care that it's women doing the ghostbusting, but everything else about it just looks horrible.

I think it will be good, I need to start a company to remove sticks from peoples asses for 5 dollars.

Back