• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

GF100 spotted?

3X monitor support from a single GPU solution just seems like a no-brainer to me. There's all kinds of both mainstream and high-end applications that can really take advantage of that so I would have thought that fermi cards would have a feature similar to ATI's eyefinity at the very least. Gaming performance should also be revolutionary if they want GF100 series cards to be relevant at all.

Am I just expecting too much from nvidida's first new architecture in 3 years?
 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't 6-pin + 8-pin mean 300W TDP theoretical, rather than 225 that S|A estimates? PCIe slot provides 75, 6-pin provides 75, and 8-pin provides 150, I thought... (Plus, I think you could theoretically make it PCIe 2.0 only and draw 150W from the slot...)
 
3X monitor support from a single GPU solution just seems like a no-brainer to me. There's all kinds of both mainstream and high-end applications that can really take advantage of that so I would have thought that fermi cards would have a feature similar to ATI's eyefinity at the very least. Gaming performance should also be revolutionary if they want GF100 series cards to be relevant at all.

Am I just expecting too much from nvidida's first new architecture in 3 years?

They need to have more clocks then for DVI/HDMI then the standard 2 or use DP. ATI uses DP, since they only have clocks to run 2X DVI/HDMI and uses the DP for the third. The Fermi cards displayed are using 2X DVI and 1X HDMI and I haven't seen a single card run 3 screens so far. Requirements displayed on PCPER are also mentioning SLI as requirement (for 3D vision surround), so they might need the second card's clocks for the third DVI. We don't know for sure yet, but everything points to a two card solution for 3 screens.
 
They need to have more clocks then for DVI/HDMI then the standard 2 or use DP. ATI uses DP, since they only have clocks to run 2X DVI/HDMI and uses the DP for the third. The Fermi cards displayed are using 2X DVI and 1X HDMI and I haven't seen a single card run 3 screens so far. Requirements displayed on PCPER are also mentioning SLI as requirement (for 3D vision surround), so they might need the second card's clocks for the third DVI. We don't know for sure yet, but everything points to a two card solution for 3 screens.

More money. The to be cheaper single ATI card will be the tri-monitor setup of choice if that's the case.

Two $400+ cards needed to be able to use three monitors is ridiculous and I'm a person that doesn't mind spending money.
Not to mention the monitors have to be 120Hz to separate it from ATI's Eyefinity. Nvidia has a money pit on their hands.
 
More money. The to be cheaper single ATI card will be the tri-monitor setup of choice if that's the case.

Two $400+ cards needed to be able to use three monitors is ridiculous and I'm a person that doesn't mind spending money.
Not to mention the monitors have to be 120Hz to separate it from ATI's Eyefinity. Nvidia has a money pit on their hands.

Nvidia isn't offering 3D vision surround as a tri-monitor setup alone, but as a 3D vision setup on 3 monitors which optimally should run 120fps on each monitor. To do that, you most likely need 2X Fermi's minimum. But, they are also offering the support for GTX2XX series and most likely on midstream models as well.

Don't forget that the GTX280 had an initial cost of $649. Nvidia might believe that the addition of 3D vision and PhysX might make up for the additional costs.
 
I wonder if we fast forward 6 months and see those who rip on Nvidia will end up buying a Fermi anyways. Many said AMD was doomed when they introduced the R600. The same thing happened to Nvidia with the 5900 FX "lawn mower".

I'm interested in what Fermi has to offer...not just the performance but what it does to market. I'm not one who buys above MSRP (without really thinking about the price/performance) just to have the latest gear. Wait a few months and prices will really come down once the competition starts.
 
But, they are also offering the support for GTX2XX series and most likely on midstream models as well.

The 3d surround vision demo nV has at CES was being powered by 2 GTX 285's. Fermi demos were only running single screen 3d solutions (although the rigs had multiple (3) GF100's in them).
 
I always wondered why SLI couldn't be split between screens. kindof a scissor method only each card rendering whats on its own monitor.

maybe this is what the new render technique is.


although then again, it may be a rebadged SLI (actual Scan line interleave of 3dfx day) :) j/k but that would be hilarious.
 
U gotta remember.. all those numbers that nvidia has given us are in house numbers.. and are not trustworthy.

wait until it's released and look at some reviews.. and then make up your own mind.

Also, keep in mind that if nvidia go for a march-april launch ATi will have had more than 6 months to prepare a new card since the 5870 launch.

Tiv
 
U gotta remember.. all those numbers that nvidia has given us are in house numbers.. and are not trustworthy.

wait until it's released and look at some reviews.. and then make up your own mind.

Also, keep in mind that if nvidia go for a march-april launch ATi will have had more than 6 months to prepare a new card since the 5870 launch.

Tiv

ATI is not worried. They are going to be using Globalfoundries 28nm tech for the 6x cards and 28nm looks to be going right nicely right now. A Q1 ATI 6x card is VERY likely at this point.
 
i think it is funny in the nvidia demo it seems to have crashed or something and turn off the display
 
That Charlie, such a fine journalist. People, that is what you call quality unbiased material right there!
 
ATI is not worried. They are going to be using Globalfoundries 28nm tech for the 6x cards and 28nm looks to be going right nicely right now. A Q1 ATI 6x card is VERY likely at this point.

I hope your right, but I say no flipping way will the 6800 series be out any time soon. The time between the 4800 series and 5800 series was well over a year, like 14months or so. The 5870 just came out 5 months ago, there is no way a true next generation ATI "6800 series" card is coming real soon, maybe the 5900 refresh series, I am sure that will be out in the Spring.
 
:rolleyes:

The 5850 is looking like a real bargain now :D It can run 3 - 24" LCD's at 5760x1200res on a single card for less than $299, and play smooth. But the nVidia needs 2 cards in SLI to do the same :rolleyes::rolleyes:

But if you do already have an SLI setup like me, the cost could be $0 as my 3 280s should be easily able to out perform a single 5850, though no DX 11.
 
I hope your right, but I say no flipping way will the 6800 series be out any time soon. The time between the 4800 series and 5800 series was well over a year, like 14months or so. The 5870 just came out 5 months ago, there is no way a true next generation ATI "6800 series" card is coming real soon, maybe the 5900 refresh series, I am sure that will be out in the Spring.
Maybe he means Q1 2011? That would sound about right for a release. Q1 this year would be too soon and I doubt the process is even close to being ready for it.
 
:rolleyes:

The 5850 is looking like a real bargain now :D It can run 3 - 24" LCD's at 5760x1200res on a single card for less than $299, and play smooth. But the nVidia needs 2 cards in SLI to do the same :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Yes, but if you have one of the 3 monitors that support it, they will do 3D!
 
Maybe he means Q1 2011? That would sound about right for a release. Q1 this year would be too soon and I doubt the process is even close to being ready for it.

Globalfoundries has the first test silicon out. At 28nm...

Now that test silicon is likely nothing more than error finding stuff for the process itself it shows that Globalfoundries is well ahead of schedule for a Q1 2011 ATI 6x.

From the huge die sizes in the test silicon it seems that ATI might be interested in throwing a hail mary pass of its own. Apparantly its supposed to be the first brand new tech from ATI since the start of the HD series. Perhaps they may launch with the ATI 6890 instead of the 6870 and scale down from there. A smart move if they plan to quickly flood the market again.
 
Well, I hope we get something more concrete soon in the way of the multiple monitor setup and some all around benchmarks.

I'm gunning for a 5870 (after price drop), but if Nvidia gets its act together and gets a good card out I.....might......might bend over for Nvidia's stupidly high prices.


a price dropped (shit, even MSRP) 5870 is looking good right now.
 
I think the triple monitor 3D is a nice tip of the hat to existing SLI GT2xx customers. It's one thing to require you to buy a new card or two to use new features, but it's nice that they are adding this capability to existing cards.

There's no reason ATI couldn't do the same for existing CF customers - it's just driver development time.

I still say triple monitors is a bit of a boondoggle, I'd rather play on one giant screen for so many reasons.
 
Translation: "I'd rather play at a much lower resolution for so many reasons."

well its a valid claim
my biggest issue is the gaps from frames and frames them selves sure 3x projectors would be sweet but un till you can monitors with no frame id rather have one big monitor
 
Wow I've never seen such a detailed wood carving of a video card before. lol I kid, but seriously, pictures of this card keep getting "leaked" and months from release. I for one am sick of looking at it, nvidia needs to put up or shut up.

QFT. Put out or GTFO. I LOL at them saying DX11 is "irrelevant" yet touting the new DX11 features of Fermi as revolutionary at CES.
 
QFT. Put out or GTFO. I LOL at them saying DX11 is "irrelevant" yet touting the new DX11 features of Fermi as revolutionary at CES.

NVIDIA certainly believes consumers have short memories, just look at how many times they've renamed G92. They're right, of course.
 
NVIDIA certainly believes consumers have short memories, just look at how many times they've renamed G92. They're right, of course.

Three re-badgings IIRC (9800, GTS 250, GTX 280m), with a fourth for the mobile sector (300 series). But we aren't your typical consumer, heh. :cool:

We nevar forget! :p
 
QFT. Put out or GTFO. I LOL at them saying DX11 is "irrelevant" yet touting the new DX11 features of Fermi as revolutionary at CES.

I think the words are being taken out of context. IIRC, nvidia said ati's dx 11 advantage was irrelevant not that DX11 is irrelevant. If that was what was said, it's true because not that many games have been released before Fermi cards that support DX11 have been released.
 
I think the words are being taken out of context. IIRC, nvidia said ati's dx 11 advantage was irrelevant not that DX11 is irrelevant. If that was what was said, it's true because not that many games have been released before Fermi cards that support DX11 have been released.

DX11 is also more a service pack for devs than anything consumers will notice in new games. Stuff like tesselation has been possible for the past decade, albeit with a larger performance hit. I actually would be shocked if DX11 games looked significantly better than DX9/10 games as that'd mean that devs of DX games have been slacking off all these past years.

DX11 isn't much of an advantage no matter how you cut it. It's more of a preference :)
 
So when are the drivers that support triple monitors for existing cards coming out? I hope its BEFORE Fermi as I would like to play with a three monitor setup on the 280s first before I make the commitment to go 3 x 24" @ 1920x1200.
 
DX11 is also more a service pack for devs than anything consumers will notice in new games. Stuff like tesselation has been possible for the past decade, albeit with a larger performance hit. I actually would be shocked if DX11 games looked significantly better than DX9/10 games as that'd mean that devs of DX games have been slacking off all these past years.

DX11 isn't much of an advantage no matter how you cut it. It's more of a preference :)

That's also true since game's aren't going to be DX11 exclusive anytime soon.
 
That's also true since game's aren't going to be DX11 exclusive anytime soon.

With so many people still using Windows XP and the XBox 360 graphics API not having any of the DX11 features such as hardware tesselation it does indeed make little sense for a studio to go DX11-exclusive.
 
That's also true since game's aren't going to be DX11 exclusive anytime soon.



i suggest giving this a read, a great bit of info in there on why DX11 will become a standard.

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/interviews/2010/01/06/interview-amd-on-game-development-and-dx11/1

specifically

Richard Huddy said:
DX11 solves at least two big problems; number one is that it lets you get rid of a previous version of DirectX because DirectX 11 runs on 11, 10 and 9 hardware, when you were thinking about shipping you no longer have to have a version for each separate operating system: 9 for XP, 10 for Vista, 11 for Windows 7. The number of builds is reduced to just one, unlike Vista and DirectX 10 competing with XP and DirectX 9.

this has to be great news for developers and should make DX11 really help its uptake. You don't need to build a DX11 exclusive game, but if you do build it in DX11 it automatically works on DX10 and DX9 hardware.
 
Back
Top