• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

GF100 spotted?

No numbers? Hiding much or what? supposed 2 month release and they refuse to show them. Bizarre.
 
man... they better hurry up :D my step up is going to run out soon
 
Last edited:
I am tired of waiting. for these cards. I was going to get a 295, and trade up. but not sure if it would be worth it:confused:
 
Wow I've never seen such a detailed wood carving of a video card before. lol I kid, but seriously, pictures of this card keep getting "leaked" and months from release. I for one am sick of looking at it, nvidia needs to put up or shut up.
 
Wow I've never seen such a detailed wood carving of a video card before. lol I kid, but seriously, pictures of this card keep getting "leaked" and months from release. I for one am sick of looking at it, nvidia needs to put up or shut up.

Exactly how I feel. It'd be funny if Nvidia was running some tri-sli or quad sli setup for the triple 3D gaming :p.
 
I figure if these cards do come out mid march it will take a computer shop 2 months to get them. My system will be gone from me for 6 months at that rate. I'm curious when they will actually get 5970's I'm guessing mid Feb but, I might have to bite and get them it depends I guess.
 
Not releasing numbers is pretty normal this far from launch. I mean if they just show all the benchmark numbers now, what will they talk about about at launch? :D
 
What I find interesting is that this likely means they will launch with 3 DVI ports. meaning you wont have to get a stupid active Displayport to DVI adaptor in order to drive 3 displays that will help Nvidia sell cards to flight simmers.

Whats really interesting tho is that this card seems more and more like a 40nm rerun of the 8800GTX saga. Yall remember that card right? HUGE die size and mega power but unable to scale down to mainstream versions until 65nm came out.

Something tells me Nvidia is going to completely ignore mainstream for 40nm and focus on getting fermi on 28nm for scaledown to mainstream variants.

Its possible as ATI will not be taking up 28nm time at TSMC.
 
No! No!

It's REAL!

It'll do Hex SLI on a single PCB in the same physical size of a GT220 without additional power connections!

As a benefit every time the fan spins up it blows magic dust on your cpu and heatsink
causing it to run in excess of 5GHZ and giving you 100Terabits of memory bandwidth.
 
Rather Nvidia release a good product than rush something could turn out bad. So its a few months. How many times has Nvidia been ahead. Lots. Its ATI's turn. Its about time. I see it this way its better once in awhile being the follower and gain lead later. Nvidia has other product lines to push to give them time to release a good directx 11 card. Gives me time to save up. I have to replace 3 cards.
 
I for one can't wait to see what nvidia has to offer. Not to suggest any fanboyism as my loyalty always resides with the price/performance king. But of course more competition will just drive down prices lower and lower which is always a win for the consumer. Hopefully these sightings will come along with some numbers soon.
 
Hey all I was at the nVidia booth at CES and have some info. I got as close as I could to Fermi (touching the actual card, although it was in a machine). They had 3 of them SLI'D running an internal Rocket Sled demo in 3D showcasing PhysX as well as DX11 capabilities.

While I wasn't given any hard numbers I was told:
-Pricing should be "about what normal high end video cards go for." I prodded a bit and my estimate of around $450+ seemed to get a decently good response.
-Looking at the GF100 it has two dual-link DVI ports and one HDMI port. There is no display port and when I asked, no plans for display port.
-Regarding the actual on shelves date I was still told Q1 of 2010, and was highly hinted the timeframe of March-April.

Once I finish compiling all my notes you'll be able to read my full nV CES unveiling at skattertech.com.
 
cool good work :D
that sounds like what i haven been reading 450 ish for a top end card works for me
 
Great info, FaRKle0079 :)

Next time sneak one GF100 out with you for some benchmarking, though ;)
 
Next time sneak one GF100 out with you for some benchmarking, though

I definitely talked with the nV reps about that and they seemed pretty positively responsive. Overall I do have to say that their reps were by far one of the more educated and helpful bunch (unlike MS an Intel...)
 
I definitely talked with the nV reps about that and they seemed pretty positively responsive. Overall I do have to say that their reps were by far one of the more educated and helpful bunch (unlike MS an Intel...)

That's good to hear :) I think I speak for all of us when I say that we would like to see some benchmarks by now :D

(and some cards on retail shelves, pretty please?)
 
What I find interesting is that this likely means they will launch with 3 DVI ports. meaning you wont have to get a stupid active Displayport to DVI adaptor in order to drive 3 displays that will help Nvidia sell cards to flight simmers.

Let me first say that my wish came true when I heard that Nvidia is supporting 3 screens! :cool:

I am a bit curious on how they wish to implement it. According to the minimum requirements, you need SLI:

Requirements:

* Windows Vista or Windows 7
* NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit (the glasses)
* 120Hz display (any display capable of 120Hz should do)
* NVIDIA GT200 or GF100 GPUs in SLI
http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=8203

I also know (from ATI's reps) that adding support for extra DVI or HDMI instead of displayport require support for more internal clocks in the GPU which would increase cost of the GPU for everyone (including those with single screen setups). Question is if Fermi is going to support 3 screens on a single card, or if you would need SLI and a Nvidia version of softTH?
 
That sounds like requirements for 3D Surround Vision not just running 3 displays at 60hz
 
That sounds like requirements for 3D Surround Vision not just running 3 displays at 60hz

You won't get 3 display support on a single GT200 without an extra card. It doesn't have hardware support for it, so even if it has 3 outputs, you can't use all 3 at once. Having 3 screens require hardware support in the GPU.
 
You won't get 3 display support on a single GT200 without an extra card. It doesn't have hardware support for it, so even if it has 3 outputs, you can't use all 3 at once. Having 3 screens require hardware support in the GPU.

I would be quite surprised if this is truly the case. Fermi is a monster and having to have a 2nd to do 3 displays would mean they wont get all those sales from people thinking about replacing their tripplehead2go setups.
 
I would be quite surprised if this is truly the case. Fermi is a monster and having to have a 2nd to do 3 displays would mean they wont get all those sales from people thinking about replacing their tripplehead2go setups.

Fermi, like all other GPU's, require hardware support for 3 screens in the GPU. That would increase the cost of the GPU itself. Thats why ATI used DP for Eyefinity, because it doesn't require that. Without benchmarks, Fermi is only a monster when it comes to die size, which means that already adds to the cost. Nvidia might not want it to cost more by adding 3X DVI/HDMI support on the GPU where all 3 can be used at once. After all, every single screen owners would have to pay for this then. I hope they have added 3X screen support though. :)

So far though, it points to using 2 cards in SLI like softTH.
 
More importantly, does it really require 120Hz monitors?

They're going to be raked over hot coals if they don't allow triple-monitor gaming on normal 60Hz panels without 3D glasses...
 
More importantly, does it really require 120Hz monitors?

They're going to be raked over hot coals if they don't allow triple-monitor gaming on normal 60Hz panels without 3D glasses...

I doubt it requires 120hz monitors for 3 screens. And, the good news is that if they use a softTH solution, they might support PLP as softTH does. :)

I am a bit disappointed at CES display of Fermi so far, though I am thrilled that they are going to support 3 screen setups!

There were no benchmarks and they displayed a custom demo which wasn't that impressive. I'm talking about the "NVIDIA GF100 Fermi Video Card Triple SLI Rocket Sled Demo":
http://www.legitreviews.com/news/7137/

I mean, come on!!! Here you have 3 Fermi cards in sli on watercooling and all you can do is this? With all the promotion about Fermi, I would expect that 1 card, at best two would be needed to run this demo.

I really wanted to be impressed and I think that Nvidia could have done better then that.
 
So far though, it points to using 2 cards in SLI like softTH.
SoftTH doesn't work with SLI. Period.

SoftTH renders everything on your primary card, then sends the correct part of the finished frames to the monitors plugged into your secondary card. The secondary card does no rendering at all, it just mindlessly displays the pre-rendered frames being sent to it from the primary card, which is why you can use something as cheap as an 8400GS to hook your 3rd screen up to.
 
SoftTH doesn't work with SLI. Period.

SoftTH renders everything on your primary card, then sends the correct part of the finished frames to the monitors plugged into your secondary card. The secondary card does no rendering at all, it just mindlessly displays the pre-rendered frames being sent to it from the primary card, which is why you can use something as cheap as an 8400GS to hook your 3rd screen up to.

Yes, but SLI is required to connect and run 3 screens. Nvidia might use SLI mosaic to enable the full power of SLI. :)
 
Yes, but SLI is required to connect and run 3 screens.
No it isn't, my primary card is a GTX260, and my secondary card is an 9800GT. They are not in SLI (obviously). I have 2 monitors plugged into the GTX260, and 1 monitor plugged into the 9800GT.

In fact, if I had two GTX260's in SLI, I wouldn't be able to use 3 screens. I would only be able to attatch two screens to the primary card, the DVI ports on the secondary card become inactive in SLI mode.
 
No it isn't, my primary card is a GTX260, and my secondary card is an 9800GT. They are not in SLI (obviously). I have 2 monitors plugged into the GTX260, and 1 monitor plugged into the 9800GT.

In fact, if I had two GTX260's in SLI, I wouldn't be able to use 3 screens. I would only be able to attatch two screens to the primary card, the DVI ports on the secondary card become inactive in SLI mode.

Perhaps SLI was the wrong choice of words. Dual card solution would be more correct, but since Nvidia went with SLI, so did I. Most people understands it best then.

Point was that you need the extra clocks from the second card in order to enable 3 screens. Since this is done in GPU, ATI chose to use DP in order to do 3 (and soon 6) screens on a single card solution. Adding support for 3 on one card costs more for the GPU itself and would make the card less attractive to the single monitor crowd due to the higher price.
 
Perhaps SLI was the wrong choice of words. Dual card solution would be more correct, but since Nvidia went with SLI, so did I. Most people understands it best then.
Except SLI implies that both cards are doing work (and that both cards must match). This is not the case with a simple dual-card solution.
 
Except SLI implies that both cards are doing work (and that both cards must match). This is not the case with a simple dual-card solution.

This might actually be the case with 3D vision surround. You might have both SLI and triple monitor support. :)
 
This might actually be the case with 3D vision surround. You might have both SLI and triple monitor support. :)
If they require two matching cards in SLI to run triple monitor, I'm going ATi. One of those cards would run my triple-monitor setup just fine, spending twice as much money for performance I wont be using is a massive waste.

They would be insane not to allow the secondary card to be something low power / low end. All they need it for is the 3rd DVI port, after all. All current Nvidia cards that support CUDA already have the necessary instructions present to accomplish this (SoftTH Beta 1.09 RC1 actually uses a CUDA frame copy mode when running on Nvidia hardware that supports it).

If Nvidia were so inclined, they could release a driver that would allow triple-monitor, without SLI, between any two cards from the GeForce 8 series and up.
 
If they require two matching cards in SLI to run triple monitor, I'm going ATi. One of those cards would run my triple-monitor setup just fine, spending twice as much money for performance I wont be using is a massive waste.

They would be insane not to allow the secondary card to be something low power / low end. All they need it for is the 3rd DVI port, after all.

Having a SLI solution for 3D vision surround doesnt nessesarily exclude the use of a second card for DVI port alone (and perhaps PhysX). :)
 
Having a SLI solution for 3D vision surround doesnt nessesarily exclude the use of a second card for DVI port alone (and perhaps PhysX). :)
Yes, but SLi shouldn't be required at all...

If Nvidia is smart, they'll allow you to use your old card as a 3D Vision surround "slave" to drive your 3rd monitor. You were keeping it around as a dedicated PhysX card anyway, right? ;)
 
Yes, but SLi shouldn't be required at all...

If Nvidia is smart, they'll allow you to use your old card as a 3D Vision surround "slave" to drive your 3rd monitor. You were keeping it around as a dedicated PhysX card anyway, right? ;)

I hope they will and I also hope they will come with a single card solution. So far, its pointing towards dual card solution, but that might change. Unfortunately, the drivers won't be released before Fermi does (March/April), so we cannot test it now. At least this might give developers more incentive to focus on triplehead support ingame. :)
 
Meh, this is all pretty disappointing news...

Not for me. I was more hoping for 3 monitor support then higher performance (though higher performance would be great too). If to choose between higher performance then 5870 and TH support, I would choose TH support. Adding 3X game content is something I find better then going from 4X to 16X AA or similar. I find that I have the performance I need in games, but want to do more to enhance the gaming experience. :)

I am disappointed that they put 3X Fermi's in SLI with watercooling and only ran that rocket demo though.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top