Getting the message "Cannot Display this Mode" at POST

I have a 2005fpw with a x1900xt. Same exact issue. Didn't happen with my 7800gtx. No idea whats going on..

I get another problem that may be related to this. Just seems to be sometimes ill switch my pc on and the monitor refuses to display anything, ill have to mess around unpluging and reconnecting the dvi cable and turning the monitor on and off to get a display on it. I originally thought the cable was to blame, ive now 2 dvi and vga cables and the problem persists on them all.

If you look in the dell 2005fpw doucuments it explains it, go to dell support and doucuments and download the PDF.

decapitator said:
If you look in the dell 2005fpw doucuments it explains it, go to dell support and doucuments and download the PDF.

All the PDF explains is what is a broad definition of whats happening, it doesn't address how to fix it.

On my new Dell 2007wfp instead of displaying "Cannot display this mode" it goes into power save mode and then comes out at boot. I'm on the phone with ATI tech support again now seeing if i can't get anything out of them.

Just got off with the higher level tech support guy and he is just telling me that its something that Dell is probably doing with these monitors out of spec with the refresh rate or something. I'm not sure why it would be an issue with Dell though since this problem doesn't seem to exist on nVidia cards or earlier ATI cards :rolleyes:.

I asked if they could check into releasing a BIOS update to address the problem and he just acted like ATI never releases BIOS updates but that he would pass on the information to see what they could do.

burningrave101 said:
All the PDF explains is what is a broad definition of whats happening, it doesn't address how to fix it.

On my new Dell 2007wfp instead of displaying "Cannot display this mode" it goes into power save mode and then comes out at boot. I'm on the phone with ATI tech support again now seeing if i can't get anything out of them.

:eek: :eek:

burningrave101 said:
Just got off with the higher level tech support guy and he is just telling me that its something that Dell is probably doing with these monitors out of spec with the refresh rate or something. I'm not sure why it would be an issue with Dell though since this problem doesn't seem to exist on nVidia cards or earlier ATI cards :rolleyes:.

I asked if they could check into releasing a BIOS update to address the problem and he just acted like ATI never releases BIOS updates but that he would pass on the information to see what they could do.

Looks like ATI's not willing to do anything for us. I think we're just going to have to deal with it.

Having the same problem with my X1900XT and my Gateway 21" panel, will not boot past windows splash screen on DVI, but VGA works fine.

Any other updates?

Edit* if I un-install all ATI software and drivers, it will boot into windows in DVI.

Freemason115 said:
Having the same problem with my X1900XT and my Gateway 21" panel, will not boot past windows splash screen on DVI, but VGA works fine.

Any other updates?

Edit* if I un-install all ATI software and drivers, it will boot into windows in DVI.

I think you may have a different problem. We have this problem during post, but it goes away when it hits windows.

its most likely a video bios issue
go to www.techpowerup.com and get the latest bios for your vid card and flash it using winflash
then try it
btw back up your old bios incase u fuck up and get a bad bios

My guess is that the problem is related to Dell monitors. Almost all of our LCD monitors at work are Dell, and I have had this problem occur a few times, with both NV and ATi cards. I've also had it happen on the VGA port.

In fact, it just happened earlier this week after I installed an FX5200 into one of the machines one of our programmers use; he needed dual monitor support. He has a 20" Dell LCD (2001FP I believe) and I had this problem.

If I had to guess, I would say it is something to do with the monitor's firmware and the DDC information it uses. Prior to the OS booting and loading drivers, the system is running in VESA mode, and the firmware of the monitor may be disliking the resolution that is run during POST/bootup.

Ok guess what lol. I just installed a new nVidia 7950 GX2 last night and at POST its still going into power save mode on the 2007wfp over DVI and THEN when Windows starts loading it goes into power save mode one more time for a few seconds and then comes out and loads onto the Windows desktop. I'm about ready to kill this monitor!!!

heh..I get the exact same problem with my X1800XT and Dell 2005fpw. It doesn't happen all the time though. I suppose it happens 1 out of every 10 cold boots (not an exact number of course but you get the point). Not a big deal really unless it does it every time. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one here with this problem .

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in... I'm having similar issues with my old AGP X800XL card with my Gateway FPD1975W monitor (16:10 widescreen LCD, 1440x900 native resolution). No signal via DVI during POST or at any point during Windows boot-up regardless of whether it's a warm or cold boot. Once Windows has booted to the Login screen, then the DVI port becomes active and functions normally, presumably because the Catalyst drivers have been loaded and the native resolution of the monitor can then be supported.

I've contacted both Gateway and ATI tech support. Of course, they're blaming each other instead of owning up to their screw-ups and neither of them seems willing to fix the issue. All of the techs I talked to (2 from each company) played dumb about the issue. The last tech I talked to from ATI said that no ATI card since the 9500 series supports DVI before Windows is booted and the Catalyst drivers have been loaded. He suggested that there may be some problems with widescreen displays because they use non-standard (read: not 4:3 aspect ratio) native resolution settings and/or refresh rates.

On the bright side, on my Gateway monitor, I can't really tell much of a difference between image quality between the VGA and the DVI connection. I've basically given up on DVI for now since it doesn't really look any better to me on my screen. Still, my monitor is DHCP compliant which means that I'll have to use the DVI when Vista launches if I want full grooviness there and that means I'll be sacrificing the ability to access my system BIOS setup screen.... BOOO to ATi on that one...

I'll add to this and say that my 2001FP does this every once in a while. I have an X850XT video card. This also happened with my old 9800 pro, so it is likely an issue with the Dell monitor, and not the cards. When it happens, I can simply hit the power button on the monitor, then repower it after a second or two. It always brings the display up. Odd that this happens to quite a few people, and noone is excactly sure why. I personlly just live with it, since it only happens on rare occasions.

ewb302 said:
I'll add to this and say that my 2001FP does this every once in a while. I have an X850XT video card. This also happened with my old 9800 pro, so it is likely an issue with the Dell monitor, and not the cards. When it happens, I can simply hit the power button on the monitor, then repower it after a second or two. It always brings the display up. Odd that this happens to quite a few people, and noone is excactly sure why. I personlly just live with it, since it only happens on rare occasions.

I've tried the power off/on thing and switched back and forth between inputs on my monitor and neither works for me... :mad: Just goes straight to power save mode because it's either not getting a signal or an incompatible signal. If it's getting an incompatible signal, I would expect some kind of error message indicating that instead of just powering down. Stupid junk... :( I wish these guys would collaborate at least a little when developing products that are supposed to work together.

Hi, I have read through your replies with interest and would like to add the following which may be of help, on the other hand...

I have a Dell 2005FPW 20" widescreen display which gives me the message "Cannot display this mode" when put into 1280 x 1024. This is running from my Dell PC with a Quadro NVS280 PCI-E 64mb card using the DVI cable. In 800x600 it works but of course has huge icons etc

When I attach a Eizo 19" L767 is dispays perfectly in 1280 x 1024. Therefore I would assume that there needs to be some adjustment somewhere on the Dell monitor.
The PC has the correct driver installed from Dell and is using the DVI socket.

My other PC which has a 128mb ATI Radeon 9600 which has no problem providing 1280 x 1024 through the Dell monitor...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sambat said:
Hi, I have read through your replies with interest and would like to add the following which may be of help, on the other hand...

I have a Dell 2005FPW 20" widescreen display which gives me the message "Cannot display this mode" when put into 1280 x 1024. This is running from my Dell PC with a Quadro NVS280 PCI-E 64mb card using the DVI cable. In 800x600 it works but of course has huge icons etc

When I attach a Eizo 19" L767 is dispays perfectly in 1280 x 1024. Therefore I would assume that there needs to be some adjustment somewhere on the Dell monitor.
The PC has the correct driver installed from Dell and is using the DVI socket.

My other PC which has a 128mb ATI Radeon 9600 which has no problem providing 1280 x 1024 through the Dell monitor...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sooo.... Are you saying that your monitors work during system boot? I'm trying to figure out if there is any kind of correlation between bus types of the graphics card and the results people are having. From what I've been reading here and elsewhere it seems that the problems are less prevalent on PCIe cards, though still not gone entirely. I wonder if newer PCIe cards are being made with widescreen digital panels in mind? It's curious because my X800XL AGP card was released in PCIe flavor before the PCIe-to-AGP bridge chip came out. It was a couple of months after the PCIe version launched that the AGP version came out.

I found this post after running into this same problem. I was running a Fx5200 card on my new Acer 2423wrd monitor with no problems going through the DVI.....then I went to the AIW X800XT agp card and now am experiencing this same problem. So I shutdown and hooked up my 4:3 Samsung 910t and it works perfect. This tells me it may be something to do with the widescreen aspect ?? Anyway just wanted to let people know what I had going. By the way....mine never hangs on boot, you just get no signal until the Welcome screen.

I have had the same issue and turning the monitor on and then off again fixes the issue.

I have a Dell monitor 2005FPW.
When I cold-started my computer this morning I got a black rectangle with white letters saying "ADC Calibration Processing". It would not go away and it was sort of anoying to work with this thing in the middle of the screen.

So I shut the machine down. And started it up again.

Now I got the same black rectangle, but with white letters saying "2:DIV-D Cannot display this Mode".

I pushed button number 2 from the left on the monitor two or three times, and the black rectangle went away. Fine for the rest of the day.

When I read this post I see that a lot of people have a Dell monitor, so I think this has to do with the monitor. Maybe it is the monitor telling you that it wants to be calibrated?

Back