Getting the Dlink 321

I would get the EADS

EARS version can cause issues on XP and older systems

Shouldn't matter if you're using W7.

I'd look into Samsung and Hitachi drives as well. Samsung has a 5400rpm 2TB that performs quite well, and is fairly inexpensive.

Yeah, ive just read such iffy reviews on them. WD drives have never given me any problems, and I really cant afford to lose the data, hence the raid 1.

These should give me better performance, but does anyone have experience with them?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145298&cm_re=2tb-_-22-145-298-_-Product

2TB may not be alot to many other people in the "data storage systems" thread, but I really would hate to lose this stuff. Since I am going with raid 1, do you guys think it would be pretty safe regardless of the drive? I have just heard horror stories about rebuilding arrays with the big drives can kill the working one too.

Another vote for Samsung and Hitachi drives.

Asking someone for a hd recommendation is like asking them to explain why they like a particular religion. That said, I would stay away from the EARS drives for now. Speed concerns and issues with the advanced format are the two most often cited complaints. You probably won't have sector alignment problems on a standalone nas running some flavor of linux, but there is no advantage to taking on that risk, so why do it?

Asking someone for a hd recommendation is like asking them to explain why they like a particular religion.
Perfect! :D

RAID isn't a back-up solution but I'd stay away from the EARS and go for a 2TB Hitachi/Samsung.

My 2TB Hitachi has been great! ;)

your link is broke, but i have ten of the Hitachi 2TB drives and they are great.

Back