Getting started with a home domain

tgabe213

2[H]4U
I have a box that is running WS2008, and I just installed the DC following this guide. Now I'm a little lost on where to go next. The whole purpose of this is for learning, but to get use out of as well.

This server will be my primary file sharing server. I'd like to be able to log in with my desktop/laptop into the domain, and has access to the 2 drives (OS/data and Backup/data).

Do I need to add user accounts into the DC, and switch the computers that I want logging into it to be switch to the domain I specified instead of workgroup?

I've added myself in Active Directory Users and Computers, in both the computers and users tab. Under the dial-in tab, I've selected Allow Access under the Network Access Permission section on both the Computers and Users folders.

What else am I missing?

Ok, so I added my primary DNS server to be the IP address of the server. Now it prompts me to logon, but I receive this error:
domainlogonerror.JPG

"I've added myself in Active Directory Users and Computers, in both the computers and users tab."
Did you add your computer to the domain?

"Under the dial-in tab, I've selected Allow Access under the Network Access Permission section on both the Computers and Users folders."
Not sure why you would have to do this for LAN use

delete the computer account from AD and then try re-joining the computer to the domain. You don't need to create a computer account before you join it to the domain.

delete the computer account from AD and then try re-joining the computer to the domain. You don't need to create a computer account before you join it to the domain.

That's what I ended up doing to get it to work.

I'm trying to figure out to get a log on script to connect me to a network drive as soon as I log on.

net use x: \\server\sharename

Where do I place the batch file? Also, when I run the command prompt, and use the command above, why does my network drive have a big red X over it, but I can still access it?

in your user account on the domain, there is an option for connection "X" (or whatever letter) drive to \\server\share

for MULTIPLE drive connections, you'd need a logon script, usually placed in the \\server\netlogon folder and you can specify it via Group Policy as a logon script

Also are you workstations using your servers IP address as their one and only DNS server? DHCP running from your server, right? Turned off on your router.

Is it possible to have people connect with their laptop with the routers DHCP rather than logging into the domain?

Server: Windows Server 2008 x86 - 192.168.1.120
Desktop: Vista Ultimate x64 - 192.168.1.113
Laptop: Xp Pro x86 - Currently DHCP'd

At most, that's all I'd want on the domain. Here is a quick diagram of my network I made. At most, I'd only like Wolfdale and Dothan to connect to the domain, and Ithica being the DC.

Is it possible to have people connect with their laptop with the routers DHCP rather than logging into the domain?

Yes..it's possible..if your routers DHCP properties allow you to edit it..so that it hands out the IP of your DC, instead of your ISPs DNS servers.

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1660

The workstations MUST, without question, use your DCs IP address, not your ISPs.

Although its preferred to have your DC do the DHCP.

My workstations are using the DC's IP as the Primary DNS, while the DC is using ? Should the DC be using the ISP's DNS ip, or itself?
These are all using static IP's

My workstations are using the DC's IP as the Primary DNS, while the DC is using ? Should the DC be using the ISP's DNS ip, or itself?
These are all using static IP's

DC should be using itself in TCP/IP properties for DNS, and nothing..nothing else. Refer to my link above please.
You set the DNS forwarders to your ISPs DNS servers, or something better..like OpenDNS.

I was a little confused on how the DHCP worked with the server, but I got an explanation from a coworker. I'll be setting that up tonight.

Any ideas on a startup script to connect to the server's hard drives (1 OS/data, 2 backups).
Just a simple net use batch file in startup, or something on the servers end?

i could be wrong but i think you can map drives by user on the server...at least thats how i have novell set up here at work.

Back