Getting SLI 980 Stable on X58?

Blackstone

2[H]4U
Does anyone know if there are any bios options with x58 chipset, specifically Asus P6T motherboard that might fix instability with SLI.

I have never had a two slot SLI system until I got two GTX 980s. Now the system is just unstable even at stock CPU and chipset settings. Yet I do not think that the dual card setup is any more demanding than my GTX 590 which was a single slot dual GPU card but which I believe had even more demanding power supply requirements.

I am wondering if there is a way to "stabalize" the two slot SLI configuration. Some kind of bios option that might give the setup what it needs.

The issue is a real fast reboot with no blue screen and it is NOT heat related because it can happen under load or just web surfing. Disabling SLI seems to help.

Increase IOH and ICH voltage. My R3E needed 1.176v for dual card SLI and 1.2v for triple SLI.
You may also have to increase your QPI voltage a little.

That should be it.

Upgrade cpu/mb. ?? Be better off anyways I bet. Microcenter close to you? They usually have bundle deals with like $50 off. Cpus are always cheapest prices around as well. 4790k and asus board is a popular cheap combo for gaming.

Last edited:
Possably just driver related.. Should uninstall the NVidia drivers with DDU and then reinstall the drivers this time with both cards installed. Reboot and then enable SLI in the nvidia control panel.

Upgrade cpu/mb. ?? Be better off anyways I bet. Microcenter close to you? They usually have bundle deals with like $50 off. Cpus are always cheapest prices around as well. 4790k and asus board is a popular cheap combo for gaming.

I did upgrade actually. Went with the 3.5GHz Haswell-e and x99 deluxe. Huge performance gains. Getting artifacts in BF4 now though, but it doesn't crash or lock up.

I did upgrade actually. Went with the 3.5GHz Haswell-e and x99 deluxe. Huge performance gains. Getting artifacts in BF4 now though, but it doesn't crash or lock up.
Might want to try the 347.88 driver instead of the 350.12 if you have that installed. The latest driver is being reported to have a lot of problems.

Do you have the 980s with reference cooler or with the ACX cooler? If the former you may want to set a custom fan curve to keep the cards cool. The default fan profile prioritizes low noise levels, so it will typically peak at 60% speed even as the card(s) approaches the thermal threshold of 84C.

Back