• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Getting ready to build 1st SFF!

wildzcardz

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 9, 2009
Messages
374
Well I recently parted out my gaming rig and looking to start buying a few parts a month(budget budget!) for a new build, which will be a SFF. Mainly going use it for web and media.

Parts list:

Intel Core i3-560
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115068

GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128448

GeIL 4GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144262

Crucial RealSSD (for OS)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148357

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS (Storage)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136514

LG UH10LS20 Blu-ray Disc (Might go slim, still trying to find a case)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136185

IN WIN IW-BP655.300TBL (Looking for smallest and slimest case to put everything in)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108199

Finally a Ceton cable card when ever my name hits up top of the waiting list!(Been 5 months so far so I hope soon!)

Will have pics and a log when all done.
 
How good is that PSU that's included with the case? Is Geil a good brand for ram? Budget?
 
hopefully you'll get your Ceton in this 2nd batch so I can get mine by Turkey day, lol!
 
I will use it till I can replace it, I know its crap but if I can get by a month or 2 after build is done I will be ok. Wonder when corsair is coming into the mini itx psu, lol.
 
I will use it till I can replace it, I know its crap but if I can get by a month or 2 after build is done I will be ok. Wonder when corsair is coming into the mini itx psu, lol.

Very Very bad ideal.. Aside from being a complete waste of money your going to have a hard time buying a decent one after market..

Just spend the extra 15 bucks (thats the after shipping difference) and get an Antec ISK 300-150 from the start. Then you get a better case & PSU & don't have to worry about changing the PSU

Edit: also of note with the antec.. it is a smaller case & will not hold a full height 5.25" drive or 3.5" internal. And there is no point in spending a premium on that crucial SSD when a cheaper sata 2 drive will perform just as well if not better (almost anything using the sandforce controller) since the board does not support sata 3
 
Last edited:
Ok Danny, I know you know your PSU... Do you think the Antec ISK 300-150 would be enought to handle all of it?
 
Ok Danny, I know you know your PSU... Do you think the Antec ISK 300-150 would be enought to handle all of it?

Yes. Only problem is, as bastage pointed out, the ISK 300-150 cannot fit 3.5" drives. So unless you don't really need a 2TB drive, the ISK 300-150 would probably not be your best bet.
 
Lol, I need a 2tb for media storage. Could you recommand some power supplies to replace the in win case, price doesnt matter as these power supllies are not spendy to me as I have done gaming pc's so cost there to this would be nothing.
 
Just to chime in on the PSU discussion: I'm running the 530 and H55N in a Antec 300-65. Stock speeds, undervolted. So 150W would be more than enough. If you solved your storage issues, that is.
 
Thank you once again Danny on the PSU help. So I will get the In Win case and replace w/Seasonic psu.
 
I have had great results with the Antec ISK 300-150, and a very similar build to what you're putting together. But my only internal drive is an SSD (all "big" storage is external, on my NAS).

The 150 is plenty more than enough for my small power needs.

Just another data point ...

Cliff
 
ya I see your point, but I would like to have an internal storage rather then an external... basically this will be an htpc but sff style. So I want as least amount of things being connected externally to it to make it look cleaner in its surrounding areas.
 
Well that's the beauty of the NAS, really: it isn't connected to your computer. Just to your router, wherever it may be...
 
I have the d link 825, the way our house is setup iy isnt really strong sending signals through all the walls. Wii and old dell pc downstairs, xbox sons room, laptop everywhere and then me and the wifes room is where the SFF will go and where modem/router is. I watch a movie every night usually... well ok takes 3 nights cuz I fall asleep to em, lol.
 
one thing to take into account is that if you're going to use the ceton to stream one of your HD feeds to another computer on your network, you may want to use a wired connection to maintain the highest quality.
 
Back
Top