Getting new GPU..$400+ to spend...670 Direct CUII?

overclocking graphics cards is such a crap-shoot
some reference models go to the moon, while some "oc" premium versions can't go nearly as fast

i wouldn't count on anything great oc-wise, unless you wanna plug that CUII board for extra voltage and WC it - but you may get lucky. just be prepared for the possibility of disappointment.

I have an EVGA 670 superclocled. Managed to get a good one
I don't see any difference between it and my Evga 680.

Highly recommend the 670.

It isn't the same price as a Gigabyte card and I don't have a window on my case so I could care less about a useless backing plate. Either card is a good choice.

lol you think that the backplate is the only difference?

1. Alot better build quality - metal shroud instead of plastic.

2. Alot better VRM - power delivery and Vram heat sink.

3. Alot better cooling (-15/20c) 2x 80mm fans, and 5 copper heat-pipes.

4 Alot better overclocking potential - Digi + technology.

5. Alot better phase design, the same phases from ROG motherboards, better caps, better super alloy chokes.

6. More headroom for power control - target, till 160% instead of 130.

All in all, alot better card for 30 premium only, if we remove the cost of the backplate alone its like 10 dollars for all of the above advantages, now tell me please, do you still think is not worth it?

Oh and FWIW just chek out this video and stop with this kind of comments.

Last edited:
-15/20c compared to a Gigabyte Windforce? :rolleyes:

All of that marketing hype is great and all, but all of the benches I have seen put the Gigabyte and the ASUS in the same range. People are hitting 1300 MHz core on the Gigabyte.

All of that marketing hype is great and all, but all of the benches I have seen put the Gigabyte and the ASUS in the same range. People are hitting 1300 MHz core on the Gigabyte.

No, compared to reference model.

What marketing hype? are you blind or just ignorant? for 20 more then reference, DCII is amazing card, its not just about oc you know? its BUILD QUALITY more then everything, and mostly the temps and noise. Please, don't just compare overclocks...see it as a whole package, and if we compare DCII/TOP with any reference, or even the cheapo Gigabyte Windforce, it just destroy the competition.

Except the Asus TOP 670 hits 1280 boost out of the box, so obviously they are not in the same range... If you don't believe me watch this video AsusROG. This is possible because of the DIGI+ VRM and 8-phase super alloy power technology along with great cooling. Then in the same video he makes a very MINOR OC to achieve 1300+. Last I want to agree the gigabyte is a good card, but the Asus is better and worth every penny extra you spend. IMO

Except the Asus TOP 670 hits 1280 boost out of the box, so obviously they are not in the same range... If you don't believe me watch this video AsusROG. This is possible because of the DIGI+ VRM and 8-phase super alloy power technology along with great cooling. Then in the same video he makes a very MINOR OC to achieve 1300+. Last I want to agree the gigabyte is a good card, but the Asus is better and worth every penny extra you spend. IMO

Its a good card, but keep in mind that all cards will not hit the same boost. Even getting the same model of card you will see variances in the max boost between each card.

You will get the boost guaranteed by the manufacturer, anything beyond that is 100% luck.

Its a good card, but keep in mind that all cards will not hit the same boost. Even getting the same model of card you will see variances in the max boost between each card.

You will get the boost guaranteed by the manufacturer, anything beyond that is 100% luck.

I will be testing my luck come tuesday or wednesday. Stupid holiday screwing up my shipping! Happy Memorial Day tho!

5. Alot better phase design, the same phases from ROG motherboards, better caps, better super alloy chokes.

All in all, alot better card for 30 premium only, if we remove the cost of the backplate alone its like 10 dollars for all of the above advantages, now tell me please, do you still think is not worth it?

Reading that (and agreeing) and then watching a few vids that have been linked on here, definitely have me going with the DirectCU II TOP. What i like most is how much your getting for what your paying, and definitely build quality. Maybe the one i get wont OC as high as a Windforce, or hell maybe the one i get wont OC as high as most Direct CU II's will, but 1) i will be happy knowing the parts used are top grade (aka high build quality) and 2) knowing like mentioned earlier, those few 10MHz arent going to garner much if any results in real world gaming.

Ya you (non specific you) got 1300MHz/7400MHz and i was only able to squeeze 1280MHz/6800MHz...how many more true Frames per second in BF3 do you get than me? 1? 3? 5? I can very happily live with that. Now if we are talking 6-10FPS... that's a improvement worth being slightly bummed about not being able to achieve.

Finally someone who can think ;)

I will assume that is in reply to my latest comment, if so, thank you :)

Well the DirectCU II Top came into stock this morning and i was able to snatch one. So i officially am on the Green side now. I will update this thread with my experience with the card once i get it.

Btw a quick GPU question...the 670 is $400...the 2Gb 6950 i bought for my Q9550 rig was $250, what Nvidia and AMD cards are the $250 2Gb 6950 equivalent in performance?

In the $250 range I'd say the Geforce Ti 560 448, on the AMD side there isn't really anything new that beats the 6950 in terms of bang for the buck unless you can get a used 7870 for a good price.

I will assume that is in reply to my latest comment, if so, thank you :)

Well the DirectCU II Top came into stock this morning and i was able to snatch one. So i officially am on the Green side now. I will update this thread with my experience with the card once i get it.

Btw a quick GPU question...the 670 is $400...the 2Gb 6950 i bought for my Q9550 rig was $250, what Nvidia and AMD cards are the $250 2Gb 6950 equivalent in performance?

Omg im so jelaous of you right now :cool:

Gratz on your amazing card!

There is no 2GB card yet which is in the same class with 6960, maybe GTX560TI 2GB.

P.S. Please report back on overclock you would achieve, ambient and GPU temps during oc load as well, i'm obsessed with this cards right now! can wait to get free of the fucking frustrating drivers crash which i got perma on any driver except 12.1, fucking pos AMD drivers, went totally downhill after 11 series.

Mother of God.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY5BRAuRRrI&feature=g-all-u

THIS CARDS ARE FUCKING AMAZING!

Watching it now, pretty awesome stuff.

Omg im so jelaous of you right now :cool:

Gratz on your amazing card!

There is no 2GB card yet which is in the same class with 6960, maybe GTX560TI 2GB.

P.S. Please report back on overclock you would achieve, ambient and GPU temps during oc load as well, i'm obsessed with this cards right now! can wait to get free of the fucking frustrating drivers crash which i got perma on any driver except 12.1, fucking pos AMD drivers, went totally downhill after 11 series.

Yeah im pretty excited. I will totally report back all my info. It was quite easy to get one TBH, i had Newegg notify me when they were back in stock by email, the email came to my Android Gmail, and i hopped on a PC, and bought it. Granted i think 5 minutes later they were sold out? I hope for people like your sake and could have been me if i had been slower, Nvidia and AMD get huge stocks in and this whole "on paper release" and "low stock" release crap is over.

Are you hoping to get one or stuck with your AMD card for now? Yeah i asked that Q about a 6950 equivalent because i honestly hadnt seen one...i was looking at the 670 to buy, and comparing it to the 7950/7970 in my head and i was like wait...what happen to a amazing bang for your buck 45FPS card like my 6950 2Gb? Where are those? Guess there arent any in this new gen lineup (yet?). Oh well, i had a $400+ budget so i went higher end, got the 670.

Thats weird and im sorry your having those issues with your 6970 and AMD drivers. Its so weird that some people have issues and others dont, i like i said had a XFX 2Gb 6950 reference and never had a single issue with ANYthing. I got it new when it came out so driver...10.4? and got all the way up to 12.4 and never a single issue. So weird.

Questions: What does it mean if anything..the fact that the 670 DirectCU II Top has 6-6 pin power connectors? Not 6-8 like some other 670's? Also, is the PCB from the 680?

Last edited:
Why are you guys suggesting reference GTX670's ok not reference, just a bit overclocked, instead of the amazing DCII, which has amazing power delivery - for oc, build quallity, and cooling for the same price? :rolleyes:

Also Gigabyte? lol! you compare the cheap shitty plastic based - Windforce model with DCII or maybe the reference model? this thread made my day :D

Do you even know what you're talking about? The Gigabyte Windforce 670's are every bit as good as the Asus DCII cards if not better because of the VRAM heatsink. They run just as cool and many of them are overclocking better than the Asus cards. I think you're either biased or clueless.

Hah, hooked by marketing fluff! Sucker! :eek:

Watching it now, pretty awesome stuff.

Yeah im pretty excited. I will totally report back all my info. It was quite easy to get one TBH, i had Newegg notify me when they were back in stock by email, the email came to my Android Gmail, and i hopped on a PC, and bought it. Granted i think 5 minutes later they were sold out? I hope for people like your sake and could have been me if i had been slower, Nvidia and AMD get huge stocks in and this whole "on paper release" and "low stock" release crap is over.

Are you hoping to get one or stuck with your AMD card for now? Yeah i asked that Q about a 6950 equivalent because i honestly hadnt seen one...i was looking at the 670 to buy, and comparing it to the 7950/7970 in my head and i was like wait...what happen to a amazing bang for your buck 45FPS card like my 6950 2Gb? Where are those? Guess there arent any in this new gen lineup (yet?). Oh well, i had a $400+ budget so i went higher end, got the 670.

Thats weird and im sorry your having those issues with your 6970 and AMD drivers. Its so weird that some people have issues and others dont, i like i said had a XFX 2Gb 6950 reference and never had a single issue with ANYthing. I got it new when it came out so driver...10.4? and got all the way up to 12.4 and never a single issue. So weird.

Questions: What does it mean if anything..the fact that the 670 DirectCU II Top has 6-6 pin power connectors? Not 6-8 like some other 670's? Also, is the PCB from the 680?

He's clueless man, I wouldn't waste your time asking him any questions. The Asus is a good card but nothing special really. Its a good non-reference model but wouldn't be my first choice. The Gigabyte Windforce 670 seems to be better in overclocking potential and real world results. The reason why the Gigabyte has 6+8 pin connectors is for better power delivery which can potentially mean more overclocking headroom. The Windforce 670 runs cooler than the Asus also. The TPU review shows that their card was running 74c, that's bit a of a problem since temps over 70c will cause the card to start throttling boost clocks. Sure, you can manually adjust the fan profile, but why should you have to? The Gigabyte Windforce 670 runs in the low to mid 60's on the auto fan profile which means you'll maintain full boost clock speed without having to adjust anything, oh here's the best part, its still completely quiet.

I keep hearing about how wonderful the Asus card is but no one who actually owns one yet has been able to do anything with them that other cards aren't doing and most aren't even getting overclocks as good as some competing models. I just don't see the hype honestly. TPU gave it a glowing review but when you compare it to its competitors, it doesn't do anything special at all and falls short in some areas compared to its competitors. I'm not knocking Asus, they make good products, but the hype for this card just doesn't live up really. The card is good, better than average, but nothing special based on everything I've seen so far.

I'm patiently waiting for all of Asus DCII 670 owners to prove me wrong and prove how superior this card is to all others, but I'm not holding my breath.

He's clueless man, I wouldn't waste your time asking him any questions. The Asus is a good card but nothing special really. Its a good non-reference model but wouldn't be my first choice. The Gigabyte Windforce 670 seems to be better in overclocking potential and real world results. The reason why the Gigabyte has 6+8 pin connectors is for better power delivery which can potentially mean more overclocking headroom. The Windforce 670 runs cooler than the Asus also. The TPU review shows that their card was running 74c, that's bit a of a problem since temps over 70c will cause the card to start throttling boost clocks. Sure, you can manually adjust the fan profile, but why should you have to? The Gigabyte Windforce 670 runs in the low to mid 60's on the auto fan profile which means you'll maintain full boost clock speed without having to adjust anything, oh here's the best part, its still completely quiet.

I keep hearing about how wonderful the Asus card is but no one who actually owns one yet has been able to do anything with them that other cards aren't doing and most aren't even getting overclocks as good as some competing models. I just don't see the hype honestly. TPU gave it a glowing review but when you compare it to its competitors, it doesn't do anything special at all and falls short in some areas compared to its competitors. I'm not knocking Asus, they make good products, but the hype for this card just doesn't live up really. The card is good, better than average, but nothing special based on everything I've seen so far.

I'm patiently waiting for all of Asus DCII 670 owners to prove me wrong and prove how superior this card is to all others, but I'm not holding my breath.

My card is out for delivery today! 1250+ boost out of the box is what I expect what other card does that??? Ok now that we both know this is the best card ill go wait at my door...

My card is out for delivery today! 1250+ boost out of the box is what I expect what other card does that??? Ok now that we both know this is the best card ill go wait at my door...

My Gigabyte WF 670 does 1270/7516 out of the box. I guess I failed to see your point. Good luck though.

My Gigabyte WF 670 does 1270/7516 out of the box. I guess I failed to see your point. Good luck though.

Well the one I returned did not. I didn't even get 1200. But lucky for me my TOP is going to without doubt. I read so much bad stuff about OC'ing the gigabyte its a huge hit and miss scenario. I am hoping that is not the case on the Asus. I will know soon!

Well the one I returned did not. I didn't even get 1200. But lucky for me my TOP is going to without doubt. I read so much bad stuff about OC'ing the gigabyte its a huge hit and miss scenario. I am hoping that is not the case on the Asus. I will know soon!

Maybe so, its hit or miss on all cards though. Even the binned cards sometimes have very little headroom because they're only guaranteed to run at the clock speeds that they're shipped with. There have been many well designed and built non-reference cards that didn't overclock well but it still doesn't make them bad cards.

I am not a noob, you do not need to explain that oc'ing a gpu is hit or miss. I am simply saying the Asus is better than the gigabyte in many ways and I hope to prove later its better performance as well. I understand you do not agree, but as somebody who isn't going to own a Asus I think you should just stop with your guessing and judgement.

Pics and OC results will be posted later today!

Edit: To those that claim asus binning on the top cards is fake and just advertising fluff you are very wrong. Asus does in fact use Active Binning on their TOP model cards to help users achieve higher end Core Clocks. JJ from Asus says exactly this in the newegg video. Its a fact not fiction.

Last edited:
I am not a noob, you do not need to explain that oc'ing a gpu is hit or miss. I am simply saying the Asus is better than the gigabyte in many ways and I hope to prove later its better performance as well. I understand you do not agree, but as somebody who isn't going to own a Asus I think you should just stop with your guessing and judgement.

Pics and OC results will be posted later today!

Edit: To those that claim asus binning on the top cards is fake and just advertising fluff you are very wrong. Asus does in fact use Active Binning on their TOP model cards to help users achieve higher end Core Clocks. JJ from Asus says exactly this in the newegg video. Its a fact not fiction.

Alright man, I was trying not to hurt your feelings on your new purchase so that's what I get for trying to be nice. Good luck and I hope you're not dissapointed when you find out that card is not really any better than many others in the luck of the draw at least from an overclocking standpoint.

And for what its worth, I don't care what an Asus rep says about the cards that they sell, its marketing no matter how you spin it. All I care about is REAL WORLD results from REAL users.

Yep, good luck, still won't change my opinion though. Once a few hundred others start posting real world results that reflect any superiority of this card, my opinion still stands that they're good, but nothing specially really.

I don't think you know what "out of the box" means.

Actually I thought he was implying overclocking it without any modification. I thought he bought this card to overclock it, didn't really see the merit of talking about stock clocks I guess.

Actually I thought he was implying overclocking it without any modification. I thought he bought this card to overclock it, didn't really see the merit of talking about stock clocks I guess.

Of course I bought the TOP version to OC, but even without adding my own OC the Asus will probably out do your 1270 boost clock. What exactly do you base your in depth knowledge of the Asus cards performance on exacty? Obviously you don't use the 10/10 TPU review lolz.

Of course I bought the TOP version to OC, but even without adding my own OC the Asus will probably out do your 1270 boost clock. What exactly do you base your in depth knowledge of the Asus cards performance on exacty? Obviously you don't use the 10/10 TPU review lolz.

If your Asus card can boost over 1270, then great, you will NOT however top my 7516Mhz memory OC most likely. I don't want to get into a pissing match, but when you come on so strongly about how superior your mighty Asus card is, I can't help but laugh at you as you've clearly been influenced by Asus' marketing department.

Results vary wildly which really just proves my point that its luck of the draw. Here's some more reviews and user overclocks. They're all over the place. On average, the review sites OC's are "meh" to put it nicely.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/39917-asus-geforce-gtx-670-directcu-ii-top-2gb/?page=10

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...geforce-gtx670-direct-cu-ii-top-review-oc/20/

http://www.overclock.net/t/1259425/asus-670-directcu-ii-top/410

After reading just one of those posts and seeing people only get +5 on the core with +500 memory instantly made me close it and stop reading anything you posted. Because that is amateur at best. You will see better OC's at lower memory clocks without doubt.

If your Asus card can boost over 1270, then great, you will NOT however top my 7516Mhz memory OC most likely. I don't want to get into a pissing match, but when you come on so strongly about how superior your mighty Asus card is, I can't help but laugh at you as you've clearly been influenced by Asus' marketing department.

Memory OC lol. It means just about NOTHING. Get real man seriously. I am starting to doubt your tech level here.

Memory OC lol. It means just about NOTHING. Get real man seriously. I am starting to doubt your tech level here.

There's a solid performance increase in memory overclock on these cards. You have confirmed, you're officially clueless.

After reading just one of those posts and seeing people only get +5 on the core with +500 memory instantly made me close it and stop reading anything you posted. Because that is amateur at best. You will see better OC's at lower memory clocks without doubt.

If it makes you feel better man. Hope you're not starting to regret your purcahse already. Have you begun the Newegg RMA process yet for a "defective" card?

If it makes you feel better man. Hope you're not starting to regret your purcahse already. Have you begun the Newegg RMA process yet for a "defective" card?

Man this 1267 Boost right out of the box sure is SWEET! No the only RMA I did was on a Gigabyte Card Thanks!

Actually newegg's RMA policy for video cards is refund within 30 days so assuming he is within that window there is nothing wrong with that.

Actually newegg's RMA policy for video cards is refund within 30 days so assuming he is within that window there is nothing wrong with that.

Not always. The three GTX 680s I bought were under their "VGA Replacement Only Return Policy." That means no refund.

Not always. The three GTX 680s I bought were under their "VGA Replacement Only Return Policy." That means no refund.

Mind if I ask what card? I looked through a bunch of 680s and all of them say return for refund after 30 days... (new cards only). This appears to be the case for 670s as well, AFAIK.

Back