Getting new GPU..$400+ to spend...670 Direct CUII?

I already told you once, try to increase the minimum voltage to its max, so it does not fluctuate

And before you go into its not safe etc, you need to do this in order to see if the voltage is the issue, later you can lower it, your not going over the stock voltage anyway.

Also put the fans at 70% and prefer maximum performance into NVCP.

RSOD is generally problem with latest NV drivers, not related to any brand of cards.

Many of us are runing the latest NV drivers and not getting a RSOD. This is happening to the Asus TOP cards which tells me they aren't stable at their default clock speed, it could be Asus Tweak related as well but it sure seems to be happening the most to the TOP cards, not the regular Asus DCII 670's. I know this is a hard pill for you to swallow after all the nonsense you talked about Asus superior build quality and components, but the writing is on the wall at this point. I just hope Asus steps up and makes it right like eVGA did for their customers.

Im sure it is, but thats the reason for Red screens, not the error failures in Heaven and White screen after BF3.

Correct, two different issues. RSOD is thought to be related to Asus Tweak tool. Crashing in Heaven is just an unstable clock speed.

Many of us are runing the latest NV drivers and not getting a RSOD. This is happening to the Asus TOP cards which tells me they aren't stable at their default clock speed, it could be Asus Tweak related as well but it sure seems to be happening the most to the TOP cards, not the regular Asus DCII 670's. I know this is a hard pill for you to swallow after all the nonsense you talked about Asus superior build quality and components, but the writing is on the wall at this point. I just hope Asus steps up and makes it right like eVGA did for their customers.

Just curious, what did EVGA do for their customers? I am really hoping Asus will step up and make a announcement or something..but i dont know how likely that is. I feel its pretty damn loyal of me to be wanting their TOP card so bad that im wanting it even after this sh*t experience. If Asus put out a official statement saying we know whats going on with the TOP cards, there will be a new batch in ____ that will have the problem resolved..and if that date wasnt to far away i would wait it out and get the card. Pretty damn loyal i think. Im just curious what the odds are of that, if other companies have done that before.

If anyone should do it, they should, cause all these returns (Top cards), all they have to do is down clock them to standard 670 clocks and they will work perfectly..cause i believe that is exactly the problem..they are stock clock cards that have been pushed too far and if they flash them to non TOP bios and re-sell them as used 670 DirectCU II's...they will be all good.

Just curious, what did EVGA do for their customers? I am really hoping Asus will step up and make a announcement or something..but i dont know how likely that is. I feel its pretty damn loyal of me to be wanting their TOP card so bad that im wanting it even after this sh*t experience. If Asus put out a official statement saying we know whats going on with the TOP cards, there will be a new batch in ____ that will have the problem resolved..and if that date wasnt to far away i would wait it out and get the card. Pretty damn loyal i think. Im just curious what the odds are of that, if other companies have done that before.

If anyone should do it, they should, cause all these returns (Top cards), all they have to do is down clock them to standard 670 clocks and they will work perfectly..cause i believe that is exactly the problem..they are stock clock cards that have been pushed too far and if they flash them to non TOP bios and re-sell them as used 670 DirectCU II's...they will be all good.
This sums it up well:
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...lls-geforce-gtx-670-superclock-graphics-cards

Guess I'm going to go with the EVGA 670 FTW. Slightly slower clocks, true, but from all reports it's a stable card, and $10 cheaper doesn't hurt I guess.

Guess I'm going to go with the EVGA 670 FTW. Slightly slower clocks, true, but from all reports it's a stable card, and $10 cheaper doesn't hurt I guess.

I would rather get GTX 670 DCII and even downclock if need, then almost reference card, one thing is to have card clock to high (boost alot higher) and crashing, which you can sort out easy with very slight downclock, but the build quality is just something which should not be avoided.

The 670 FTW looks prettty average to me, i would get Windforce if you don't want Asus.

Wow thats awesome. Though in this case it wouldnt do much, in the sense that theres no card (except the 680) to upgrade to from the TOP, but just a official announcement from Asus would be enough for me, that and they are fixing the problem.
Depends on your budget. If you have the budget to go with a 5-10% performance bump then go for the 680. Otherwise the 670 is still a fine card. Just might have to go for another brand.

Haven't had any issues with mine. Seems to run cool enough with a slightly more aggressive then stock fan profile made in msi's afterburner.

I would rather get GTX 670 DCII and even downclock if need, then almost reference card, one thing is to have card clock to high (boost alot higher) and crashing, which you can sort out easy with very slight downclock, but the build quality is just something which should not be avoided.

The 670 FTW looks prettty average to me, i would get Windforce if you don't want Asus.
To say that is uses a "almost reference card" you need to be more specific. if it was a 670 reference card I personally wouldn't touch it. A 670 using a 680 reference board on the other hand...

The 670 FTW uses the reference 680 board. Which is cool since you can use water blocks and cooling solutions made for the 680 with no mods.

That said it appears that Gigabyte also uses the reference 680 design for it's card
Also note that gigabyte uses one more phase in it's power delivory and 8pin + 6pin power connectors vs the standard 6+6...
(top nvidia reference 680 bottom gigabyte 670)
head-on_no-cooler.jpg

2.jpg

LOL, at the superior build quality. What does it get you? Crashes under load. I get that you love Asus, you've made that clear by now, but build quality should also extend to testing a card properly before it leaves the factory and making sure your customers aren't going to have to RMA a card because it didn't perform as it was guaranteed to out of the box. Having to lower the clock speed and raise the fan rpm profile is a half-ass fix to a problem that Asus should have never created to begin with. eVGA admitted their issue and handled it professionally, we'll see if Asus does the same, but I seriously doubt it.

eVGA admitted their issue and handled it professionally, we'll see if Asus does the same, but I seriously doubt it.
Yeah I have my doubts about Asus support after all the stories I've read about their lackluster RMAs and support. But I'll give anyone a chance once.

As the saying goes:
Burn (Fool) me once, shame on you. Burn (Fool) me twice, shame on me!

You know, your beloved Asus is much closer to reference design than the EVGA FTW or Gigabyte (as seen in the pics above, they both use the 680 PCB).

Asus upgraded some components, and then released a card that was clocked too high and isn't even stable out of the box for some people. This would be a pretty average card if it weren't for that one review and the amount of hype that has been generated since then. There is no magic that this card has that makes it unique. Anyone could have released a card clocked that high and it would have performed the same, however no one else did because it clearly isn't stable for mass production.

Asus 670:
asus670dcfront.jpg

Reference:
670front.jpg

If by some you mean,

better caps, better phase array -chokes etc, better cooling, metal shroud, digi II + controller, then its fine. Using GTX680 PCB is nothing compared to the changes DCII cards offer over the reference model.

I got no more motives to try to explain why i think DCII cards are superior regarding build quality, (even if some of them are crashing) if you have any doubts, check the videos on page 3, and before you say its marketing, explain me how come using different components its just marketing? do they lie? are you guys blind and cant see that the phase they use are the same from ROG mobos? the same power controller/vrm? or maybe ROG mobos are also just marketing and shit? i mean come on, like i said, i would whiteout a single doubt downclock my card by 20mhz, and be happy for the superior build quality.

If by some you mean,

better caps, better phase array -chokes etc, better cooling, metal shroud, digi II + controller, then its fine. Using GTX680 PCB is nothing compared to the changes DCII cards offer over the reference model.

I got no more motives to try to explain why i think DCII cards are superior regarding build quality, (even if some of them are crashing) if you have any doubts, check the videos on page 3, and before you say its marketing, explain me how come using different components its just marketing? do they lie? are you guys blind and cant see that the phase they use are the same from ROG mobos? the same power controller/vrm? or maybe ROG mobos are also just marketing and shit? i mean come on, like i said, i would whiteout a single doubt downclock my card by 20mhz, and be happy for the superior build quality.

The ROG boards are overpriced as well and full of marketing fluff. Good boards, but nothing to write home about.

Superior build quality compared to what? Compared to the other cards that are overclocking better and running cooler? Maybe if we all hold on to our cards for 10 years, the Asus DCII's may show us all how superior they were to last such a long time, but I'm betting none of us on this board will have a GTX 670 in 10 years.

Compared to all other cards atm, excluding upcoming models (Lightning probably) the cards on market atm, cant compare to DCII cards imho and lets stop here we bore other readers to much, its been like this like whole 3 pages ;)

So what are my best options assuming Asus doesnt release any statement regarding their TOP cards? The Windforce....the 670 FTW is a blower fan design so not that one, the MSI lightning? Is that a blower design as well? Im really sad about my experience with the TOP and im really pessimistic about Asus doing anything about the TOP.

You two can keep arguing until you turn blue. In the end it really won't matter in 6 months to a year when something better comes out.

What really matters here is what card has the least amount of problems. I kinda like the gigabyte since it has decent phase count (not as many as Asus's 6 but it is better then the stock 670 since the gigabyte has 5 phase vrms).

That said I still am enjoying my evga GTX670 FTW edition. it's MUCH quieter/cooler running then the hair driver of a video card GTX480 I had for a few days...

So what are my best options assuming Asus doesnt release any statement regarding their TOP cards? The Windforce....the 670 FTW is a blower fan design so not that one, the MSI lightning? Is that a blower design as well? Im really sad about my experience with the TOP and im really pessimistic about Asus doing anything about the TOP.
If I were in your shoes I think I'd go with the windforce.

If I were in your shoes I think I'd go with the windforce.

Agreed. I haven't seen posts on the Windforce behaving badly. My 680 is OC'd from the factory and I pushed it further to 1325 core stable @ 60C.

You two can keep arguing until you turn blue. In the end it really won't matter in 6 months to a year when something better comes out.

What really matters here is what card has the least amount of problems. I kinda like the gigabyte since it has decent phase count (not as many as Asus's 6 but it is better then the stock 670 since the gigabyte has 5 phase vrms).

That said I still am enjoying my evga GTX670 FTW edition. it's MUCH quieter/cooler running then the hair driver of a video card GTX480 I had for a few days...

I'm not arguing, its not even a debate anymore, the point has been proven. Its more like me just telling him he needs to wake up now.

no matter what you go with, it is still a luck of draw. My giga is good card but I can only push it stable to 1190Mhz core (on boost). I run 5 hours of Heaven in loop (with its highest settings) and played 3 hours of BF3. Good friend of my got his Giga card and with ease he got 1250Mhz and some people are getting 1300Mhz (golden cards). Since I still have a "window" of chance to return/exchange the card. Too be honest you guys I was (still I am to some extent) thinking about grabing another giga, evga ftw or asus non-top cards... but then again there is a good chance I might end up with a lemon. Also accroding to some more experiance users, the difference between good o/c GTX670 at +1250Mhz (on boost) and my it is probably 2-4 fps in games, so is it worth the risk (trying to get golden card)? proably not.

To the OP, buy whatever something also based on where you buy it from (the easiest/cheapest return policy), locally if possible. It is pita now with all out of stock cards...

no matter what you go with, it is still a luck of draw. My giga is good card but I can only push it stable to 1190Mhz core (on boost). I run 5 hours of Heaven in loop (with its highest settings) and played 3 hours of BF3. Good friend of my got his Giga card and with ease he got 1250Mhz and some people are getting 1300Mhz (golden cards). Since I still have a "window" of chance to return/exchange the card. Too be honest you guys I was (still I am to some extent) thinking about grabing another giga, evga ftw or asus non-top cards... but then again there is a good chance I might end up with a lemon. Also accroding to some more experiance users, the difference between good o/c GTX670 at +1250Mhz (on boost) and my it is probably 2-4 fps in games, so is it worth the risk (trying to get golden card)? proably not.

To the OP, buy whatever something also based on where you buy it from (the easiest/cheapest return policy), locally if possible. It is pita now with all out of stock cards...

Its not worth the effort to return a perfectly good card for a few FPS to stretch your internet penis. My advice, keep the card you got if its working fine.

Back