Getting current pc to use less Watts

lolivegarden

Weaksauce
Hi guys, I currently have a pc that will be retired (getting a new one). Is there any way I can make it use less power? I want to use it as a nas and bittorrent client. Currently it uses 200W at idle using windows vista.

I has an AMD 4400... and a 8800GT card, I guess I can change the video card, and loose windows vista. any ideas?

I has 2 HDs... and the PSU is a 420w coolermaster.

thanks.

Undervolt and/or underclock the cpu. You don't need much cpu power for a nas and bittorrent. Definitely dump the video card for something really basic. My shuttle uses about 50-60w normally. I'm sure you can get that PC down under 100w, the bulk of the power would probably be the GPU.

My system, below, uses 163w at idle with my monitor on and 130w without. You just have to pay attention to the details of efficiency and keep everything cool. I know I could do better with a core i7 system. Which I will when the 950 i7 comes out. As always, its in the details.

Hi guys, I currently have a pc that will be retired (getting a new one). Is there any way I can make it use less power? I want to use it as a nas and bittorrent client. Currently it uses 200W at idle using windows vista.

I has an AMD 4400... and a 8800GT card, I guess I can change the video card, and loose windows vista. any ideas?

I has 2 HDs... and the PSU is a 420w coolermaster.

thanks.

Which 420W CM PSU do you have?

Also note this:
Yes and a quick search would turn up this topic a million times over. Here is the recap:

1) APFC can fool Kill-A-Watts into giving you abnormally low readings (some times giving better than 100% efficiency)

2) Power supplies derate with temperature anywhere from 2w/c above a nominal rated at value to 10w/c.

3) Kill-A-Watt's and most power meters sample too slowly to catch transient loads (the Transient load from our tests is 117w and is COMPLETELY missed by Kill-A-Watts).

4) Power supplies last longer if you stay in the 40% to 60% range of their output.

5) power supplies are quieter if you stay in the 40% to 60% range of their output.

6) Power supplies are cooler if you stay in the 40% to 60% range of their output.

The power meters in UPS software are just as bad. You have to spend some change before you get anywhere near an accurate power meter when your PSU has APFC.

Back