Getting BSOD, is it my GPU?

Adreneline

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, so I got the Sapphire 5850 Xtreme last year since May. Now, I'm not sure whether or not it started with the graphic card upgrade, but it was around that time (I don't game enough to know).

I haven't been gaming much but am getting back to gaming pretty soon. So far, it has BSOD at different times with more taxing games like BFBC2, and GTA4. Never on anything else, maybe once on Minecraft.

Since the last one happened (a month or so ago), my desktop flickers a few times when logging in from sleep mode. I'm not sure what it is. Anyway, when I get the BSOD, it's this:

No OC or anything. Updated drivers.

photo-1.jpg

Set the CPU back to a X3 and see if that improves anything.

In addition, uninstall and reinstall video card drivers. Do this GPU test:
[Testing the GPU]
Use Furmark, OCCT, or ATI Tool to stress test the GPU. If you see any artifacts, any other graphical glitches, or BSODs, the GPU could be overheating, too overclocked, or faulty.

if gpu is overheating you should see artifacts long before bsod.

maybe cpu is overheating. get hwmon and see what temps are at load.

It's unlikely for your GPU to cause a BSOD. It may be a BIOS incompatibility issue with your GPU though. I have a Gigabyte Z68 motherboard that I've tested extensively. It doesn't like one of my 6950's but it's perfectly fine with the other one. Until I tested it I was sure that there was no way that which graphics card I used would make any difference but with my MSI 6950 my board bootloops and with my Sapphire it does not.

Back