getting a 8800gts soon. Should i upgrade to vista?

Booker

Limp Gawd
My main goal is to play games smoother and faster. So my question is, i should stick with XP or i should upgrade to vista when i get my new rig ?

core 2 duo 6420
Evga 8800 gts 320mb
1gb ram 800

Thanks

XP is faster for games.

Vista is a faster operating system - utilizes resources so the system feels smoother

But games/programs tend to run better in XP...

Yeah I would stick with XP.

Though from what I read, Vista's drivers have caught up substantially. (I'm not running it so I cannot speak from first hand experienec)

Not to the point of buttery smooth, but you get the idea. :p

wait on vista. it likes 4gb of ram. dx10 isnt in use yet and i dont see it making a huge splash for another year.

My main goal is to play games smoother and faster. So my question is, i should stick with XP or i should upgrade to vista when i get my new rig ?

core 2 duo 6420
Evga 8800 gts 320mb
1gb ram 800

Thanks
you have to spend the bucks for 2gb ram. 1gb isnt enough theses days.

you have to spend the bucks for 2gb ram. 1gb isnt enough theses days.
yep and theres really no point in getting a top video card without having the system ram to play the games smoothly in the first place.

Yeah I would stick with XP.

Though from what I read, Vista's drivers have caught up substantially. (I'm not running it so I cannot speak from first hand experienec)

Not to the point of buttery smooth, but you get the idea. :p

Every game i've played so far runs seamlessly on vista. So far, the list includes bf2, stalker, c&c3, titan's quest, everquest2, and lost planet dx10 demo. Drivers might not be perfect yet... but they're good enough where i can't notice the difference in gameplay experience between my xp install and vista.

Get 2GB of RAM and go with Vista. Why? Because it is a little better than XP overall and is better supported because it is Microsoft’s current OS

Yes, it has been slower in games, but I think that's turned the corner because GPU drivers are from both nVidia and AMD/ATI are just about there. With the components you listed, with 2GB of RAM, you're not going to notice the difference anyway.

XP will be around for a long time and pretty well supported. But Vista is the current MS OD, and as such means that everything from now till the next MS OS release will be supported in Vista. XP will receive less attention now.

Every game i've played so far runs seamlessly on vista. So far, the list includes bf2, stalker, c&c3, titan's quest, everquest2, and lost planet dx10 demo. Drivers might not be perfect yet... but they're good enough where i can't notice the difference in gameplay experience between my xp install and vista.

Well said!

With all the security/compatibility stuff going on with Vista, I would not even touch it before SP1 is out. Also I do believe XP provides better gamplay experience with games at the moment, so I would wait awhile. Personal opinion only naturally.

Rush out and get Vista immediately. While it's not the most stable, original, usable, or secure Operating System out there, it's the right thing to do.

You see, kids like little Stevie Balmer need a new houseboat on Lake Chelan. And there's lost little Bill and the other 5,700 Microsoft millionaires living in and around Puget Sound that desperately need that third hummer in the driveway- their parents can't afford to do that for them (well, Bill's can).

So you see, you should be dumping money down the toilet, because our children need it. And children are our future. Sure, it might not actually do anything but suck up processing cycles and extra electricity, but if you are a moral, decent, person, you'll buy a 100 user license right now.

You see, kids like little Stevie Balmer need a new houseboat on Lake Chelan. And there's lost little Bill and the other 5,700 Microsoft millionaires living in and around Puget Sound desperately need that third hummer in the driveway- their parents can't afford to do that for them (well, Bill's can).

So you see, you should be dumping money down the toilet, because our children need it. And children are our future. Sure, it might not actually do anything but suck up processing cycles and extra electricity, but if you are a moral, decent, person, you'll buy a 100 user license right now.

What kind of drugs are you smokin? :confused:

With all the security/compatibility stuff going on with Vista, I would not even touch it before SP1 is out. Also I do believe XP provides better gamplay experience with games at the moment, so I would wait awhile. Personal opinion only naturally.

Security and compatibility issues? I'm curious, could you give me a direction to where you found this info? Thanks.

Rush out and get Vista immediately. While it's not the most stable, original, usable, or secure Operating System out there, it's the right thing to do.

You see, kids like little Stevie Balmer need a new houseboat on Lake Chelan. And there's lost little Bill and the other 5,700 Microsoft millionaires living in and around Puget Sound that desperately need that third hummer in the driveway- their parents can't afford to do that for them (well, Bill's can).

What kind of drugs are you smokin? :confused:

QFT.

Siiiirrruusly. :confused:

Nvidia desktop manager does not run under vista, which might be a problem if you are buying an nvidia graphics card.

The question to me is, can you get away with just using your old version of XP? If you have to buy a new operating system for your new computer anyway, you might as well buy Vista. If you don't have to, why bother? Everything is compatible with XP, there are loads of driver problems with vista, and vista is and will probably always be slower than XP. If you can get away with waiting until you actually need vista, then wait.

Nvidia desktop manager does not run under vista, which might be a problem if you are buying an nvidia graphics card.

The question to me is, can you get away with just using your old version of XP? If you have to buy a new operating system for your new computer anyway, you might as well buy Vista. If you don't have to, why bother? Everything is compatible with XP, there are loads of driver problems with vista, and vista is and will probably always be slower than XP. If you can get away with waiting until you actually need vista, then wait.

XP might be the better option now, but Vista will soon be a much better and faster OS. Quite frankly it is already better. It will soon be faster.

This might be funny on slashdot, but it's retarded here.

Security and compatibility issues? I'm curious, could you give me a direction to where you found this info? Thanks.

No direct source just alot of forum surfing and reading peoples problems. By compatibility I mean the total lack of drivers for some products. Mostly ofcourse 8800 series problems as I browse alot of video related forums sections, but seriously, when has it been a good idea to buy M$ OS before atleast the first SP ?

Maybe Vista is a fluke in the rule, but I doubt it.

edit:

The security thingy was, that I just read that hackers found away to go around Vistas UAC. But maybe that was bit overstatement, I do think Vista is more secure than XP, but you dont need alot to acomplish that :)

Vista is the best operating system Microsoft has made yet. It's stable, secure, prettier, and more user friendly and functional than anything Microsoft has made before. There is a learning curve, but once you find out where everything is the thought that went into this OS is evident. I've been running Vista Business on my office computer and Vista Home Premium on my home office computer for months. We have several Vista Business computers at the office as well. Conventional wisdom is to not upgrade to any new Microsoft OS until SP1 is out, but Vista has been rock solid stable since release. Problems people are having are mostly driver and hardware related. One big problem out there that Vista is often being unfairly blamed for is memory voltage. Lots of new DDR2 will not run at spec voltage ... it needs more than 1.8v and people are blaming their lockups and BSODs on Vista when it is in fact their memory voltage.

That being said some old and/or poorly written software will not run on Vista, and lots of hardware manufacturers are dragging their feet on drivers. Printer drivers seem to be the worst culprit, although I personally feel that many of the hardware OEMs are purposefully not making a strong effort to write new drivers in hopes of selling new hardware. I haven't personally tested the difference in FPS between XP & Vista, but all my games run fine on Vista. Vista needs at least 1gb of memory to run well, preferably 2gb.

If you primarily game there is no reason to upgrade to Vista for the time being. Some tests indicate that games might run slightly faster in XP, and there are no retail DirectX10 games out yet. If you do other things than gaming there is value in upgrading to Vista from a productivity and user friendliness standpoint.

I'll have some of what he's having :)

wow.. now i´m in the fence again... lol
But since since the Nvida control panel don´t work on vista yet, i may go with XP after all.

About the RAM, these are my choices

1GB G.Skill ram
or
2GB Supertalent

I can´t afford 2GB of G.Skill

What i should do?

BTW, i´m not planning to overclock the system at all.

Maybe Vista is a fluke in the rule, but I doubt it.
It is going to be interesting how it goes at AMD. They have pushed the envelope hard and are now deploying internally company-wide, all-Vista all the time. They had their top executives using it day-to-day in a pilot project back in early spring. (( Little wonder in the difference of the solidity of ATI over NVidia on Vista ))
The security thingy was, that I just read that hackers found away to go around Vistas UAC. But maybe that was bit overstatement, I do think Vista is more secure than XP, but you dont need alot to acomplish that :)
The biggest hole in UAC is that it is so guddam annoying that people are going to turn it off. ;) These days I only have it on myself for testing my software so as to try keep limited my contribution to the annoyance level.

Lots of Vista fanboys in here...
I say go with XP and wait for Micros next OS that is due out in 2009.

I was being sarcastic, go with XP until another operating system is proven better.

Hell NO. (stick with XP)

If you games are not running smooth and fast the last thing you should look to changing is your OS. (unless you are still on Win3.1 and you are not)

You can buy another gig of ram for the cost of Vista (assuming you dont have to buy another copy of XP.).

I guess if there is some upcoming DX10 game you just are dying to play - maybe vista and check that drivers for your printer etc. are available from the manuf. built in printer drivers are usually baisc operation only without the fancy printer features.

BTW, i´m not planning to overclock the system at all.

Gah forget everything I said, you are not worthy. :rolleyes:

As delayed as Vista was, it should've been delayed one year and worked on some more, if only to give the manufacturers more time to rebuild stable drivers for the newer OS. The DX9 performance isn't where it is on WinXP either... which I think you ought be to loading for the lower overhead in hardware requirements, anyways. I keep hoping that Microsoft will wake the hell up and just patch in DX10 on WinXP for their legacy software users.

As an application programmer, I need to run and stay with Vista. But as a gamer I hate it.

In gaming, once you have the driver installed and working (Nvidia's latests are pretty good now), the main problem shows up mainly as little quarter-second or so stops while Vista starts churning the disk or swapping out memory pages. In real time apps like games or music, Vista's Superfetch is not a good thing. Nor are the many other automatic (i.e. you can't turn them off or specify when they should not happen) background tasks that churn the disk and/or memory paging.

Also, when the video card gets a lot of activity, such as riding on horseback through the countryside in LOTR with the graphics turned up to Very High or Ultra High, more often than not I get an application error and Vista closes it - leaving me walking the road in the middle of nowhere, likely as not dead when I finally log on again. (I use an 8800GTX but I expect you will find the same with your GTS.)

So I would recommend that you go with XP.

:D BOOKER for memory

2 gig of pretty much anything will help over 1gig of fast something.....L@@k around you can find 2gig mem pretty low in price now ....2gig does make a differance. supertalent isnt bad at all ,,,i prefer Patriot cuz it over clocks nice and Ocz and Gskill do well too just my preferences..

Patriot1gig and 2gig ddr2 6400 elk Dual channel runs @ 555 12 stock 1.8v and runs @ 1000mhz 444 8 2.2v recomended by Patriot for fast timming and with Lifetime warranty,,easily stable on my Pc 8hrs a day for 6months now ...and 2 gig ddr 400 Patriot at 400mhzEcc dual channel clocked to 480mhz stable 24/7 2years on my old gaming server...So thats where i stand..

Well if the Supertalent is ddr 400mhz grab it ...if ya can run pc3200 ! if not get the pc2700 333mhz

or maybe, i dont know how much you can spend;)

I see you have 1.8cpu and 333mhz mem pretty shure that board dosnt runs dual channel ,It will run same as single channel and if your Pc can only run 333mhz the 400mhz will default to that..If it does run 400mhz pc3200 you will notice faster load times and smoother Apps over your current set up :D

this is dual channell Patriot DDR 400 for $149.00 (2 x 1)gig chips ,,,,,,,for a 1gig stick it is $74.99

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3947368?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Or Supertalent 1gig DDRpc3200 but buy 2sticks $65.00each

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609049

Or Gskill buy two 1gig DDR pc3200 buy 2sticks $64.00 each

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231036

Or Adata DDRpc3200 2x1 kit 2gig $139.00

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2212580&CatId=1352

Like always youll find the 1gig chips at around $60-$80 per stick ...Its easier to find DDR pc3200 400mhz over the pc2700 333mhz for good chips seeing lots of places have 0stock on good 333mhz deal. The DDRpc 3200 400mhzwill run at default speed of 333mhz if thats all your board supports!!

As delayed as Vista was, it should've been delayed one year and worked on some more, if only to give the manufacturers more time to rebuild stable drivers for the newer OS.
Until the OS releases, or is ready for imminent release, a lot of manufacturers and software companies aren't going to commit resources to drivers and other software. Hell MS released 64-bit XP and they still couldn't get more than passing support for it because there were so few users. Of course that has changed for Vista because every retail box has both 32-bit and 64-bit in it. So now, assuming the user has one of the [increasingly common] 64-bit CPUs it is just a matter of them picking one DVD or the other and presto, they are 64-bit.

In real time apps like games or music, Vista's Superfetch is not a good thing.
It isn't particularly good about detecting real lack of activity. A lot of people are turning off the Superfetch which is likely a good idea for gamers. I've personally turned off the security deadweight (virus checker, firewall, etc.). I find the indexing can be handy and doesn't seem to be much of an issue once it's had time to go through it's initial setup or time after a big install.

As an application programmer, I need to run and stay with Vista.
I'm in the same boat, work has dictated my OS. Although my response was a bit different. I've avoided getting an NVidia card.

You might as well get Vista if your are going to get the DX10 card. Crysis and Lost Planet are coming up and you are gonna want to play them with your 8800. Also gaming is getting better on Vista and soon I will be able to stop dual booting myself.

:D BOOKER for memory

2 gig of pretty much anything will help over 1gig of fast something.....L@@k around you can find 2gig mem pretty low in price now ....2gig does make a differance. supertalent isnt bad at all ,,,i prefer Patriot cuz it over clocks nice and Ocz and Gskill do well too just my preferences..

Patriot1gig and 2gig ddr2 6400 elk Dual channel runs @ 555 12 stock 1.8v and runs @ 1000mhz 444 8 2.2v recomended by Patriot for fast timming and with Lifetime warranty,,easily stable on my Pc 8hrs a day for 6months now ...and 2 gig ddr 400 Patriot at 400mhzEcc dual channel clocked to 480mhz stable 24/7 2years on my old gaming server...So thats where i stand..

Well if the Supertalent is ddr 400mhz grab it ...if ya can run pc3200 ! if not get the pc2700 333mhz

or maybe, i dont know how much you can spend;)

I see you have 1.8cpu and 333mhz mem pretty shure that board dosnt runs dual channel ,It will run same as single channel and if your Pc can only run 333mhz the 400mhz will default to that..If it does run 400mhz pc3200 you will notice faster load times and smoother Apps over your current set up :D

this is dual channell Patriot DDR 400 for $149.00 (2 x 1)gig chips ,,,,,,,for a 1gig stick it is $74.99

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3947368?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Or Supertalent 1gig DDRpc3200 but buy 2sticks $65.00each

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609049

Or Gskill buy two 1gig DDR pc3200 buy 2sticks $64.00 each

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231036

Or Adata DDRpc3200 2x1 kit 2gig $139.00

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2212580&CatId=1352

Like always youll find the 1gig chips at around $60-$80 per stick ...Its easier to find DDR pc3200 400mhz over the pc2700 333mhz for good chips seeing lots of places have 0stock on good 333mhz deal. The DDRpc 3200 400mhzwill run at default speed of 333mhz if thats all your board supports!!

I´m upgrading my whole system, not only the videocard and ram.
I´m also changing my Motherboard and CPU.

this is what i have in mind

Mother ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel
procesador Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775
video EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 Superclocked
Ram : SUPER TALENT 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Booker

Ok thats what i needed to know i was going off your sig ......(((.Supertalent))) will be fine ....There are 2gig Patriot kits for good prices on egg and Fry.s for DDR2 6400elk there timings easily do 444 8 @2.2v recomended by Patriot and can hit 900mhz or1000mhz easily ....Ive seen great reviews on Supertalent and if you get a good price get the 2gigs of it....I know you say you wont (O.c) , but ive said that one before:D

Looks pretty good so far ...

I´m upgrading my whole system, not only the videocard and ram.
I´m also changing my Motherboard and CPU.

this is what i have in mind

Mother ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel
procesador Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775
video EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 Superclocked
Ram : SUPER TALENT 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Um, if you are buying new anyway I'm not sure that is the motherboard you want to go with for Vista. I believe you'll be running [at best] beta drivers from Asus for now without offical Vista support. As well I'm not sure that's the most cost effective CPU for OCing and if you plan wasn't to OC you might be paying for a bit more motherboard than you'll use. At least that's my initial take on it. Probably better places to ask around.

I'm going to have to disagree with many here. I personally see no reason to move to Vista unless there are specific DX10 games with specific DX10 features that you want specifically.

If you want Vista, you might as well get it though. It's inevitable that you'll have a need for it at some point. Set yourself up with a dual boot and let Vista sit around while you give XP the attention it deserves.

core 2 duo 6420
Evga 8800 gts 320mb
1gb ram 800

Thanks

Both XP and Vista will play games smooths and fast (if you have the hardware for it) about the same. The difference is Vista is newer, it does have some significant improvements but there can also be some significant headaches with the drivers or applications that don't run on Vista. It'll be worth it in time, but keep in mind there is usually a price to be paid for being an early adopter.

And of course you'll want more RAM with Vista (even XP).

Oh people have no humor. I laughed. :) I think Vista was only released because rising fuel prices make maintaining those 3 Hummers and a private jet a bit expensive. :D

Um, if you are buying new anyway I'm not sure that is the motherboard you want to go with for Vista. I believe you'll be running [at best] beta drivers from Asus for now without offical Vista support. As well I'm not sure that's the most cost effective CPU for OCing and if you plan wasn't to OC you might be paying for a bit more motherboard than you'll use. At least that's my initial take on it. Probably better places to ask around.

Actually the Motherboard is the only system part i´m really open to recommendation. What motherboard do you recommend, what brand?
please, it should be around the same price as this motherboard.. i can´t spend more, remember i was going to buy a 1950pro first.. now i´m going to buy the 8800Gts i´m really on the edge (budget speaking).

Back