• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Getting a 4870, need a new PSU

TwistedJester

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 15, 2005
Messages
73
I just purchased a Radeon 4870 and found that it requires two PCI-E power connectors, while my current PSU (an XCLIO Goodpower 480W) only has one. As such, I'm going to need a new PSU (since I've heard that using a Molex to PCI-E adapter cable on high end cards usually ends in tears). Right now I'm eyeing the Xclio Stablepower 500W (since I've had no problems at all with my current XClio after nearly 3 years. Here's my current system.

Core 2 Duo E4500 overclocked to 3Ghz
2 Gb DDR2 800 RAM
Gigabyte P35 DS3L mobo
7900GT
Two Sata hard drives

I'm also considering doubling my ram if I can get Vista, and possibly throwing in another hard drive. Basically what I want to know is, am I making a good choice here?
 
Honestly I would go with something higher than 500w. 4870 probably would run with a 500w but are you planning on buying a new psu everytime you buy a graphics card? If you can afford it I would jump to like a 620 or higher if you could.
 
was using a 550w truepower 2.0 for it, barely drives it... upgrade to 650 no worry now
 
Basically what I want to know is, am I making a good choice here?

No. The quality of that XClio is a bit suspicious. No info on the combined amperage on the +12V rail, no info on the true manufacturer of the PSU, no proper review of it, etc. Your ~$250 video card deserves better than a $50 unknown quality PSU.

For your needs, I recommend the Corsair 550VX since it's a known quality unit and comes with two PCI-E connectors:
Corsair 550VX 550W PSU - $85

was using a 550w truepower 2.0 for it, barely drives it... upgrade to 650 no worry now
To be fair, the Truepower 2.0 PSU wasn't that good of a PSU considering all the premature deaths and all. A good quality 550W PSU would be more than enough for the HD4870.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I found a Corsair 650TX 650W PSU in Dell's online shop for only $70. Is that also a known quality unit?
 
I found a Corsair 650TX 650W PSU in Dell's online shop for only $70. Is that also a known quality unit?

Note that the $70 price tag is after $20 MIR. So you still pay $90 upfront for that PSU. Add $8 shipping (At least to CA), and you have to pay $98 shipped +$20MIR for the 650TX (Assuming that tax isn't included). At least with the 550VX from Amazon.com you have free shipping and no taxes (At least for CA residents) for $85 shipped + $20 MIR.

A difference of $8 to $16 after all is said and done.
 
Back
Top